Free Agency Jake Kelly [joins Essendon as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

We have Hind and Redman also Cutler who can run and carry we don’t have any lockdown type defenders good pick up imo

we don’t need Kelly to run and carry just lockdown on the oppos most dangerous fwd
Fritsch 7 goals on him, cough, cough!!!! You are setting the bar low if he's your primary lockdown defender.

If there's one thing our defence is lacking it's a lockdown defender so it could be a shrewd signing.

Also, I'm not concerned about the reported performance against Fritsch. The Dees are a quality side and the Crows and the players he would've been playing around in the backline are putrid. He'll have one job if he gets a game for us.

He can defend but his disposal and decision making is abysmal.
He holds up play because he isn't able to take play on and kills all momentum.
I would struggle to see a crows supporter who is sad to see him go.
We have wanted him out of the team for years.

Hope he turns out well for Essendon. Its a free hit.

Jake will be a good get. He is a hard working bull on the training track with a professional work ethic. He will help build a good culture. He is good one on one, never quits and will always give his best.

Doubt Kelly signs on a free agent expecting to be depth. Maybe this is just an expedited DFA signing where Adelaide weren’t keen to sign him and we thought with Ambrose and likely Gleeson being moved on that Kelly was a good depth piece.
He chose you over other clubs, so there must be a reason why he did that.

You'd think it's $400k a year for 3 years.

All I hope is it's JUST enough to scrape in as a band 3 compo ... ;-?

You'd think it's $400k a year for 3 years.

All I hope is it's JUST enough to scrape in as a band 3 compo ... ;-?

Nope, the average wage in the AFL is $350K across all players. He would have been offered good coin, especially if Bombers have the cap space. My guess is $500k @ 3 years. If he’s committed already then it must be attractive terms

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There must be some desire for a stronger lockdown player, in spite of your pre-existing options. There is some value in that.
That’s because we don’t have any. Our only lockdown players are Lav (who is getting the best tall) and Ridley (who is more valuable as a distributor and third up). If Kelly can lockdown small forwards - and there seems to be conflicting views on that - he actually fills an urgent need. And adds depth to an area we don’t have any.

Don’t forget we tried Cahill in defence over last preseason we had so few options.

Would have been a great player 30 years ago when defenders were only expected to defend. Showed some improvement this year but still struggles offensively. Much better when he plays quicker and within his limitations.

He does give his all though and is a good one-on-one defender. Super professional, team oriented, well liked, competitive. Just structurally not what our team needs right now, but may be a better fit for Essendon. I'm sad to see him go as I like Jake, but it's probably a win-win-win scenario.

My biggest concern is that he isn't a KPD, and he can't take a super speedy small forward. Those are normally the spots where you want a lockdown defender. He has done a good job (that Fritsch game aside) on locking down the medium forwards and midfield stars when they go forwards. Just not sure it fully justifies his lack of an offensive game.

Would have been a great player 30 years ago when defenders were only expected to defend. Showed some improvement this year but still struggles offensively. Much better when he plays quicker and within his limitations.

He does give his all though and is a good one-on-one defender. Super professional, team oriented, well liked, competitive. Just structurally not what our team needs right now, but may be a better fit for Essendon. I'm sad to see him go as I like Jake, but it's probably a win-win-win scenario.

My biggest concern is that he isn't a KPD, and he can't take a super speedy small forward. Those are normally the spots where you want a lockdown defender. He has done a good job (that Fritsch game aside) on locking down the medium forwards and midfield stars when they go forwards. Just not sure it fully justifies his lack of an offensive game.
Yeah. Good observations. Kelly is the type of mid defender that goes to a Dangerfield or Petracca type when they shift forward. And usually does a good job of shutting them down.

He can be a momentum killer though holding up the ball rather than moving it quickly. It looked like he was moving forward in this respect earlier in the year but reverted to type as the year went on.

A second rounder too much to ask? Kelly would be on reasonable money!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's almost certainly going to be Band 4 compensation, so end of 2nd round. He won't be on less than Rory Atkins @ $400K per year (at the same age), and he netted us Band 4.

Let's hope that that the Bombers have done something stupid and offered 3 years @ $500K or something and it's enough to push it into Band 3..

Love these footy journos, they are right on the ball and have great inside knowledge!

24 hours ago - "AFL Media is reporting that Kelly, an unrestricted free agent, is being monitored by the Kangaroos as he weighs up a multi-year offer from the Crows."

2 days ago - "Michelangelo Rucci expects the Crows and the 26-year-old to eventually agree to a contract extension."
2 days ago - Kane Cornes: “There’s a Collingwood connection there with his brother (Will) and his father (Craig) who is a significant player manager, so they’ll know what to do in this space."

Haven't you heard? AFL Journo 101 is to suggest any fringe player in the competition is linked to Norf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back