Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually there really isn't at all. There isn't a huge difference in the draft quality at that level. Also I know this ain't a great future predictor, but pick 6 is known as being "cursed"

Actually I was having fun with this. It's interesting to look back and compare them and see who wins... I've bolded the clearly better one. No bolding if it's hard to tell. Only started at 2012 as it's a bit hard to judge 2 year players.

So yeah, a fair few duds in there (including a 4 year stretch...), some stars but I think that there are 9 years when pick 10 was clearly better and only 2 where pick 6 was clearly better (Wingard and Sampi). I'll probably give you Rohan vs Melksham too, although injuries have really hurt Rohan.

6 Jack Macrae 2012
10 Joe Daniher 2012

6 Chad Wingard 2011
10 Liam Sumner 2011

6 Reece Conca 2010
10 Daniel Gorringe 2010

6 Gary Rohan 2009
10 Jake Melksham 2009

6 Chris Yarran 2008
10 Phil Davis 2008

6 David Myers 2007
10 Patrick Dangerfield 2007

6 Mitch Thorp 2006
10 Nathan J. Brown 2006

6 Beau Dowler 2005
10 Marcus Drum 2005

6 Tom L. Williams 2004
10 Chris Egan 2004

6 Kepler Bradley 2003
10 Ryley Dunn 2003

6 Steven Salopek 2002
10 Jason Laycock 2002

6 Ashley Sampi 2001
10 Sam Power 2001

6 Dylan Smith 2000
10 Jordan McMahon 2000

6 Damian Cupido 1999
10 Luke McPharlin 1999

6 Murray Vance 1998
10 Brandon Hill 1998

6 James Walker 1997
10 Shane O'Bree 1997

6 John Rombotis 1996
10 Nathan G. Brown 1996

6 Daniel Healy 1995
10 Simon Prestigiacomo 1995
That proves a lot of recruiting managers got it wrong. Not that pick 10 is as valuable as pick 6.

That proves a lot of recruiting managers got it wrong. Not that pick 10 is as valuable as pick 6.
If we can get rid of Tippett i'd be willing for us to throw up a first rounder plus a player.
Possibly Allir Allir
I know he doesn't have much currency but he could be handy, out of favour with us at the moment.

Last edited:

It won't happen again. Clubs are mature enough now to get deals done in the trade period. So whichever club Lever nominates, the deal will get done with that club. You'd be silly to let him go for nothing anyway.

Hope thats not really how Lever or Melbourne thinks. Does the name Bryce Gibbs ring a bell? We wont be bent over. Danger was the last straw for us I think. We drew a line in the sand with Gibbs and we will stand behind that. I cant speak to what trade will get it done, but I can guarantee Lever wont be dictating s**t. If he nominates a single club then we will deal with that club in good faith and try to get a deal done. But if its another Gibbs scenario then I suspect you can throw all past history out of the window.

If he is worth paying $900k/ yr for 5 years then he is worth two low to mid first rounders (5-10).

Hope thats not really how Lever or Melbourne thinks. Does the name Bryce Gibbs ring a bell? We wont be bent over. Danger was the last straw for us I think. We drew a line in the sand with Gibbs and we will stand behind that. I cant speak to what trade will get it done, but I can guarantee Lever wont be dictating s**t. If he nominates a single club then we will deal with that club in good faith and try to get a deal done. But if its another Gibbs scenario then I suspect you can throw all past history out of the window.

If he is worth paying $900k/ yr for 5 years then he is worth two low to mid first rounders (5-10).
Melbourne aren't planning on screwing any club over. If Lever nominates Melbourne, both Melbourne and Adelaide will get a deal done.

Hope so. We'll want a player, not picks IMO. And it'll probably be a player you don't want to lose.
Any player has to agree to a trade. If the player you want doesn't want to move to Adelaide then you won't be in luck. Can't see too many players on our list keen for a move interstate. Neal-Bullen being an SA boy the only best 22 that may be interested.

Might have to use the pick to target plsyers from other clubs.

Any player has to agree to a trade. If the player you want doesn't want to move to Adelaide then you won't be in luck. Can't see too many players on our list keen for a move interstate. Neal-Bullen being an SA boy the only best 22 that may be interested.

Might have to use the pick to target plsyers from other clubs.

I can't see pick 10 being enough on its own. good luck.

It's not going to be 2 early first round picks, we (if it is to be us) don't have them to give them, notwithstanding he's not worth it.

When Lever nominates his club, he'll get there. Adelaide will be fairly compensated, all but it will be it unders ie. 1 x early/mid first rounder and a pick upgrade your third into a second, but Lever is uncontracted and seemingly wants to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can get rid of Tippett i'd be willing for us to throw up a first rounder plus a player.
Possibly Allir Allir
I know he doesn't have much currency but he could be handy, out of favour with us at the moment.

Really, you would give us roughly the same pick we used to get him and a player that can't get in your team. We can give you our first round pick and Troy Menzel for Heeney if you like

Really, you would give us roughly the same pick we used to get him and a player that can't get in your team. We can give you our first round pick and Troy Menzel for Heeney if you like
Allir is much better than Menzel.
Can't believe you recruited that spud

On a serious note we do have a couple young South Aussies that may want to go home.
Will Hayward or George Hewett

Would definitely take Hayward if Cameron goes. I think he is what Adelaide wanted Menzel to come back to Adelaide and play like. You got a good one there

Would definitely take Hayward if Cameron goes. I think he is what Adelaide wanted Menzel to come back to Adelaide and play like. You got a good one there
Yeah I know he's had a great first year.
Unfortunately we need someone to take over from Grundy and I don't see that guy on our list.

Yeah I know he's had a great first year.
Unfortunately we need someone to take over from Grundy and I don't see that guy on our list.

It will be Allir, he is just a little raw but with another pre season he could take Grundys spot. Has Michael Talia been playing alright in the reserves?

It's not going to be 2 early first round picks, we (if it is to be us) don't have them to give them, notwithstanding he's not worth it.

When Lever nominates his club, he'll get there. Adelaide will be fairly compensated, all but it will be it unders ie. 1 x early/mid first rounder and a pick upgrade your third into a second, but Lever is uncontracted and seemingly wants to leave.

If Melbourne offer Lever upwards of $800k per year then that suggests that he is worth 2 early first round picks.
The commission won't sign the trade off if they don't judge it as being fair compensation, similar to the failed Tippett trade for Sydney's first pick & Jesse White. The crows and Sydney had agreed on that, lodged the paperwork then it got knocked back, then all hell broke loose haha.
Melbourne will need to get creative to deliver more than pick 10 for Lever, which could involve another player moving on to deliver a future pick back to Melbourne that they can on trade or form it as a 3 way trade with Adelaide.
With Brodie Smith now going to miss next year the crows will be searching for a medium tall half back defender with pace, of which Melbourne have 1

Gibbs had a contract, Danger and Lever dont

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hope so. We'll want a player, not picks IMO. And it'll probably be a player you don't want to lose.
Who do you think will be happy to move to Adelaide? Thats the problem

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back