Player Watch Jake Soligo - Showdown Medalist!

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume he means round 1 this year? Still not true as Nicks has obviously rated Soligo from day 1, but makes more sense as a claim than saying Nicks didn't rate Soligo before round 1 in his draft year. We re-signed him before he even played a game.
Well, Nicks played him after a limited preseason this year despite other posters wanted to play him in a meaningless SANFL preseason game to gain fitness......

Let’s work on easing up on the delusion baseless rubbish!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Are you new to this board?

I assume he means round 1 this year? Still not true as Nicks has obviously rated Soligo from day 1, but makes more sense as a claim than saying Nicks didn't rate Soligo before round 1 in his draft year. We re-signed him before he even played a game.

I understand he means round 1 this year. We all know he had an injury in late in the pre season - so not surprising the eased him back in. My point is the played him straight after his pre season which took many by surprise. They signed him up basically for his career within half a season of his first year.

So do we look at that evidence and go - clearly they rate him. Or do we look at him starting as sub - coming back from an injury - and go “clearly doesn’t rate him”. I mean seriously there are a few on here that have built Nicks up to be the footy Boogyman!! And it’s just ridiculous

I understand he means round 1 this year. We all know he had an injury in late in the pre season - so not surprising the eased him back in. My point is the played him straight after his pre season which took many by surprise. They signed him up basically for his career within half a season of his first year.

So do we look at that evidence and go - clearly they rate him. Or do we look at him starting as sub - coming back from an injury - and go “clearly doesn’t rate him”. I mean seriously there are a few on here that have built Nicks up to be the footy Boogyman!! And it’s just ridiculous

I don't think it was a rating issue, the issue was over whether he should have been a sub or not when he was a better player.

The coaches do tend to forget every off season which young guys were actually excelling and should be locked into the best 22.

Nank a prime example who looked at home in the final games last year yet come this year has to work his way back into the best 22.

Its no coincidence the same players Nicks locked onto in rounds 5-17 last year were the same ones he went running back to this year. He is a coach with favourites and it was that group of players he felt would take him to the promised land. Boy was he wrong. Of course that was no surprise to anyone. Literally no one.

Its no coincidence the same players Nicks locked onto in rounds 5-17 last year were the same ones he went running back to this year. He is a coach with favourites and it was that group of players he felt would take him to the promised land. Boy was he wrong. Of course that was no surprise to anyone. Literally no one.
He is not the first coach to "trust" his experience players to get him to Finals and he won't be the last.

The difference here was he played the same group of players that failed to do it the first time. Not many good coaches run back to the well of failure to do it all again.
He just can't seem to rule a line through players. Rowe and Hately probably the only real exceptions.

Just missed out on the 8 last year by a stupid goal umpire decision.

So what you are saying is we relied upon a 3rd party not to fail us to succeed instead of removing all doubt ourselves. Didn't the same group of players fail badly in a winable game against Essendon? Or what about the losses to Richmond, Collingwood x 2, Geelong, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast, Essendon Giants x 2, Melbourne, Brisbane. No none of those losses matter, Nicks and the players were f$%king perfect. Just the umpire.

Like how low has the bar fallen. We'd never have accepted last season in a zillion years and Nicks would have been run out of town by now for this year. But the bar has fallen so low, people keep creating and accepting the excuses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he put a line through Rowe? Didn’t he play a fair bit in the year he got delisted?
You're right.

Nicks would struggle to throw out expired meat lol.

So what you are saying is we relied upon a 3rd party not to fail us to succeed instead of removing all doubt ourselves. Didn't the same group of players fail badly in a winable game against Essendon? Or what about the losses to Richmond, Collingwood x 2, Geelong, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast, Essendon Giants x 2, Melbourne, Brisbane. No none of those losses matter, Nicks and the players were f$%king perfect. Just the umpire.

Like how low has the bar fallen. We'd never have accepted last season in a zillion years and Nicks would have been run out of town by now for this year. But the bar has fallen so low, people keep creating and accepting the excuses.
No, I'm saying Nicks stuck with the same group last year as we were close to Finals and answering your question as why he stuck with the same group this year.

Spotted this from the great VardyMagic on twitter, Soligo's pre-draft interview.

At the time had no idea where he was going, names Rory Sloane as the player he wants to be like. Ends up being team mates then wins the Showdown Medal in the game where we farewell Rory. Love it.

Jake Soligo profile: Adelaide’s emerging midfield star following in Rory Sloane’s footsteps​

Jake Soligo was supposed to be a top-15 draft pick, yet became a Crow deep into the second round. Now, the emerging star following in Rory Sloane’s footsteps is making those who overlooked him pay.

Like Sloane, he was fresh off a best-and-fairest with Eastern Ranges in his top-age year but his athletic profile did not jump off the page.
Soligo is not slow but also not very quick.
He is a smaller inside midfielder at 180cm.
The cancellation of the national under-18 championships in 2020 and 2021 did not help his draft prospects.
Nor did the 2021 pool being stacked with on-ballers.
Adelaide had been tracking Soligo since he represented Vic Metro at under-16 level in 2019.
The Crows loved his toughness, workrate and football IQ.
The Crows expected him to land at Richmond, which had three consecutive picks during the second round.
But the Giants opted for Central District key defender Leek Aleer in a surprise call, while the Tigers went with Soligo’s best mate Tyler Sonsie, Tasmanian utility Sam Banks and Dandenong Stingrays speedster Judson Clarke.
When Soligo was still on the board at pick 36, Hamish Ogilvie and his recruiting team could not read out his name quick enough.

I wonder where "supposed to be a top 15 pick" came from?

My main memory of us selecting him was that most draft watchers had barely heard of him. Of course the actual AFL recruitment teams know way more than internet pundits, but even so I don't remember any kind of "wow we were shocked that he slipped" or "the Crows have got a bargain here" kinds of comments.

Last edited:

Jake Soligo profile: Adelaide’s emerging midfield star following in Rory Sloane’s footsteps​

Jake Soligo was supposed to be a top-15 draft pick, yet became a Crow deep into the second round. Now, the emerging star following in Rory Sloane’s footsteps is making those who overlooked him pay.

Like Sloane, he was fresh off a best-and-fairest with Eastern Ranges in his top-age year but his athletic profile did not jump off the page.
Soligo is not slow but also not very quick.
He is a smaller inside midfielder at 180cm.
The cancellation of the national under-18 championships in 2020 and 2021 did not help his draft prospects.
Nor did the 2021 pool being stacked with on-ballers.
Adelaide had been tracking Soligo since he represented Vic Metro at under-16 level in 2019.
The Crows loved his toughness, workrate and football IQ.
The Crows expected him to land at Richmond, which had three consecutive picks during the second round.
But the Giants opted for Central District key defender Leek Aleer in a surprise call, while the Tigers went with Soligo’s best mate Tyler Sonsie, Tasmanian utility Sam Banks and Dandenong Stingrays speedster Judson Clarke.
When Soligo was still on the board at pick 36, Hamish Ogilvie and his recruiting team could not read out his name quick enough.

Also has added a burst of speed to his game this year which is a point of difference to the Sloane and Neale comparison, he is more like a shorter Pendlebury in terms of footy IQ and creativity around the ball.

I wonder where "supposed to be a top 15 pock" came from?

My main memory of us selecting him was that most draft watchers had barely heard of him. Of course the actual AFL recruitment teams know way more than internet pundits, but even so I don't remember any kind of "wow we were shocked that he slipped" or "the Crows have got a bargain here" kinds of comments.
Yeah I think he was mostly projected to go around 30ish during 2021. This might be one of those things where he was earmarked as a potential first rounder in the previous year but dropped down the list in his draft year. That happened with Curtin, might happen with Welsh etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back