Traded Jed Anderson [traded w/ picks 38 and 40 to NM for picks 15 and 54]

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realise that you've left out half the trade for Anderson, right? But i suppose you did that purposely. The fact is that adding two second rounders for a third rounder makes the Anderson trade a lot more even than just him for pick 15.
I completely agree, but that doesn't fit the narrative that Hawthorn have bent North over and made out like bandits, so people deliberately leave it out. When the swap of picks is considered, I'm of the opinion that this is a good deal for both sides; a classic win-win scenario.

I completely agree, but that doesn't fit the narrative that Hawthorn have bent North over and made out like bandits, so people deliberately leave it out. When the swap of picks is considered, I'm of the opinion that this is a good deal for both sides; a classic win-win scenario.
Spot on.

The Hawks did the right thing by Jed in letting him go for more opportunity and the Hawks were compensated.

People are interpreting the word 'shallow' to mean that there are not good players available in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round. That is complete BS. The talent level is very even in those rounds and there will still be AFL calibre players available at those selections. It's up to the clubs to identify which players will make it.

Win/Win. North have targeted what they need and Hawks get what they need for Trade.

North have had a couple of years to see what Anderson is capable of as opposed to a pick 15 in this years draft, we clearly rate him and ill back these guys in. Those second rounders thrown in a for another trade im sure of it.

You realise our recruiting guru is not called Graham Wrong?

Jed is not in our best 22 but he will be in yours.

David Hale wasn't in our best 22, but was in yours.

Oh I don't know he looked best 22 to me the day he kicked 8 goals against the Handbaggers.

We turned his Premiership dreams into reality.

It's what we do. :p

He was being played at FF because we had McIntosh then a certain Goldstein fellow ahead of him.

Then he couldn't even get a game at FF.

He was always a ruck first.

The point is though ...

Well done Hawks scored a 1st rounder for an injury prone player who has played 10 average games in 3 years.
What would the Eagles want for a certain Fijian ruckman who touched the ball 4 times in a Grand Final?

My point being one bad game does not make you a spud the same as having a few injuries does not make you make you injury prone.

Not heard of bad luck?

For getting the equivelent of pick 41 for Jed?
As stated, the AFL's points system is only valid if you're using the picks to bid for academy or FS players. As neither club is, and as this draft is widely accepted as being very shallow outside of the first round it means the trade is effectively Anderson for pick 15.

It's possible he did, just need to find them :p
We potentially have 50 odd young Buddy jnrs running about.

And they all could be in the same draft year. I heard all 50 could have birthdays within the same 100 day period....

As stated, the AFL's points system is only valid if you're using the picks to bid for academy or FS players. As neither club is, and as this draft is widely accepted as being very shallow outside of the first round it means the trade is effectively Anderson for pick 15.

So if we pull off Aish for Bastinac+38+40 is that a straigh swap Basti for Aish?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we pull off Aish for Bastinac+38+40 is that a straigh swap Basti for Aish?
As far as North Melbourne are concerned, effectively yes. Brisbane have bidding needs for those picks I think, so they won't be used on kids who 99% chance won't make it.

As far as North Melbourne are concerned, effectively yes. Brisbane have bidding needs for those picks I think, so they won't be used on kids who 99% chance won't make it.

Thus 38 and 40 have great worth. So not a straight swap for 15 ..........

Personally i think it may well end in a good win/win for both teams.

If North land Anderson and Aish for 15 and Basti its a win.

Hawks could use 15 and 18 on Carlise or look to upgrade with GWS or as the picks they are. Any way looks good.

I like the trade from both sides, doesn't need to be a win/loss here at all.

I still believe it's a good get for North despite opinions in here. Anderson may not kick on (there are no guarantees on 10 game players) but he has all the tools and he looked very good in his cameos. Ripping bloke, young father and plays an exciting style so hopes he lives up to his potential.
Most Hawthorn supporters thought he was woth pick 20-25. We got one 23 pick upgrade (38->15)and one 12 pick downgrade (40->52). That means he has been valued around that range.

So long as Hawthron uses their pick well (we usually do) it should be a win/win.

Oh I don't know he looked best 22 to me the day he kicked 8 goals against the Handbaggers.

We turned his Premiership dreams into reality.

It's what we do. :p

2008 he kicked 8 goals v Geelong.

2010 he played 12 games for us and was clearly being forced out.

No hard feelings with Hale, stoked to see him win 1 2 3 flags because genuinely good guy, but let's not rewrite history.

Thus 38 and 40 have great worth. So not a straight swap for 15 ..........

Personally i think it may well end in a good win/win for both teams.

If North land Anderson and Aish for 15 and Basti its a win.

Hawks could use 15 and 18 on Carlise or look to upgrade with GWS or as the picks they are. Any way looks good.

I like the trade from both sides, doesn't need to be a win/loss here at all.
No not a straight swap for 15. But effectively from a Hawthorn perspective it was.

Picks 38 and 40 are also of no value to North Melbourne as far as drafting a kid goes. They might get lucky in this shallow draft and get someone decent but Hawthorn are just as likely with pick 54.

However - North Melbourne like you say may be able to use those picks to get a deal done with a club that will value those picks due to their value under the AFL bidding points system.

So again from a Hawthorn perspective Graham Wright has been able to turn two picks that hold no real inherent value to us other than what another club may apply to them (in this case North Melbourne likely on-applying it to Brisbane) and effectively get pick 15 for Jed Anderson when people said it wouldn't happen. Hence the tongue in cheek wizard status call.

And I agree regarding it being a win if you guys can conjure the same situation by getting an effective swap of Bastinac for Aish.

A win-win-win for Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Brisbane. And the players involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back