Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

In another 12 months would be the time to pay overs. Now was not the time.
In another 12 months we will know how Daniher is performing and how his groin is holding up.
If he is had a good year then Sydney will have to pay overs but at least they know what they are getting. If Daniher has been injured most of the year then his trade value is going to be way down

I disagree with this. If Papley is really struggling in Sydney and Daniher in Melbourne, IMO the clubs should be merciful and get the deals done.

For the record, if Carlton offered pick 9, I think we should have done the deal irrespective of Daniher. I don't blame the club if Carlton kept offering 9 for Papley + 25 though.
Papley only recently signed an extension. I have no problems with clubs holding players to their contracts

Papley only recently signed an extension. I have no problems with clubs holding players to their contracts
They're human beings, not assets. Mental health comes first. Even outside of that, I'd rather not have someone at the club that doesn't want to be there.

The only reason I'm not angry with the club for holding him to his contract is the fact that Carlton wanted pick 25 back.

They're human beings, not assets. Mental health comes first. Even outside of that, I'd rather not have someone at the club that doesn't want to be there.

The only reason I'm not angry with the club for holding him to his contract is the fact that Carlton wanted pick 25 back.
Don’t sign lengthy contract extensions.
Players want the best of both worlds

Don’t sign lengthy contract extensions.
Players want the best of both worlds
Circumstances change. You can sign a contract while perfectly happy and be in a completely different mental state a year later. Some things in life are just unpredictable.

It was claimed that around 6 names were raised, with Heeney and Blakey on that list (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...s-highly-as-essendon-did-20191016-p531f3.html). There is certianly no way we could have traded either of them.

We offered Papley and Jones, who both wanted to return to Victoria. They were rejected by Essendon. I'm really not sure what more the Swans could have reasonably done.
If Essendon were demanding Heeney/Blakey and guys of the nature, they are 100% unreasonable and the calls of Sydney lowballing are laughable.

Blakey and Heeney by themselves are worth more than Daniher. For someone like Heeney I would be wanting Daniher plus something else.

Circumstances change. You can sign a contract while perfectly happy and be in a completely different mental state a year later. Some things in life are just unpredictable.
So why bother having contracts?
Just let every player move freely each year to where they want to play and scrap the draft while we are it

So why bother having contracts?
Just let every player move freely each year to where they want to play and scrap the draft while we are it
Because the players need to be paid and contracts allow you to have a reason to keep them.

As far as trades go, IMO it should be dependent on WHY players want to be traded. Papley and Daniher clearly aren't in good places mentally. It's different to someone wanting to leave for money or flags.

Because the players need to be paid and contracts allow you to have a reason to keep them.

As far as trades go, IMO it should be dependent on WHY players want to be traded. Papley and Daniher clearly aren't in good places mentally. It's different to someone wanting to leave for money or flags.
Mental health is hard to diagnose so what’s stopping everyone playing the mental health card?
Papley seems to be that his mates and GF are in Melbourne more than anything, who knows if he is struggling mentally or it’s just a ploy by his manager to get him out of there

Mental health is hard to diagnose so what’s stopping everyone playing the mental health card?
Oh gee.
Papley seems to be that his mates and GF are in Melbourne more than anything, who knows if he is struggling mentally or it’s just a ploy by his manager to get him out of there
No, his girlfriend is there and apparently has received a lucrative job offer. Initially it irked me, but we expect the partners of players to move for them all the time. Not unreasonable to expect the same in reverse.

If Essendon were demanding Heeney/Blakey and guys of the nature, they are 100% unreasonable and the calls of Sydney lowballing are laughable.

Blakey and Heeney by themselves are worth more than Daniher. For someone like Heeney I would be wanting Daniher plus something else.
If it was Heeney as an example, Essendon may have been willing to give something back. This is the thing we will never know as Essendon wanted to deal in players and Sydney to deal in picks. therefore the deal was dead in the water from the get go because neither would agree.

If it was Heeney as an example, Essendon may have been willing to give something back. This is the thing we will never know as Essendon wanted to deal in players and Sydney to deal in picks. therefore the deal was dead in the water from the get go because neither would agree.
It wouldn't have mattered if they weren't willing to give anything back, because everyone named by Essendon were players with next to no chance of even wanting to leave the Swans. It was sort of like if Adelaide asked for Selwood back when trading Danger, or if we asked for SPS back for Papley.

But even though I personally don't agree with holding players that are desperate to get out of there, they obviously had a right to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh gee.

No, his girlfriend is there and apparently has received a lucrative job offer. Initially it irked me, but we expect the partners of players to move for them all the time. Not unreasonable to expect the same in reverse.
His girlfriend comes first?

Must be a great offer of over 400k a year if its about the money

His girlfriend comes first?

Must be a great offer of over 400k a year if its about the money
No idea if it's about the money, all I've heard is that his girlfriend receive a job offer in Victoria and he wants to be with her. Honestly, not sure there isn't more to it, because I'm sure the Swans could have help line up a pretty good job for her if required, but I'm not going to begrudge either of them if she simply wants to be in Victoria and he wants to be with her.

She has no obligation to be in Sydney, and he has no obligation to pick the club over her.

No idea if it's about the money, all I've heard is that his girlfriend receive a job offer in Victoria and he wants to be with her. Honestly, not sure there isn't more to it, because I'm sure the Swans could have help line up a pretty good job for her if required, but I'm not going to begrudge either of them if she simply wants to be in Victoria and he wants to be with her.

She has no obligation to be in Sydney, and he has no obligation to pick the club over her.
Unless they've been living together for 6 months in which case she gets half his s**t.

I found out the hard way :(

I think it was more with showing the Swans how valuable Daniher is to us rather than demanding for one of those players

I think it was more with showing the Swans how valuable Daniher is to us rather than demanding for one of those players
Nah, the deal was never going to be done without a player of that calibre. We could have given you Jones or Papley (Papley in particular was happy to play anywhere in Melbourne) as part of the deal but sounds like you weren't interested in either.

You will find out in future that is far from correct.

Player managers will have the Swans flagged as risky, at best, to get a deal done for their high profile clients.
Managers will be weary of Sydney because they didn't give up Heeney, Blakey, Parker, etc. and Essendon wouldn't accept a combination of high draft picks and/or Jones or Papley? They'll be weary of Sydney who let Tom Mitchell go for the equivalent of pick 14? Yep, you keep telling yourself that.

If he had doubts he shouldnt have signed a 3 year extension or he and his gf should have worked it out beforehand.
Sydney was willing to do a deal as it was but it also has to be in our interests or there would be no point in having a contract.
Essendon were in there rights to play hardball on Daniher also

Daniher had 45 minutes in the last 2 hours to convince Essendon he wanted out and was not looking back.
He failed miserable and hence Essendon knew he would be content to return. Trade over.
Players are dumb when they make half hearted decisions and leave themselves open to scrutiny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back