Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney offered two first-rounders. Essendon rejected that offer, hence he is worth more than 2 first-round picks to Essendon. The bolded (your opinion) is not supported by the events of the trade period.
All this proves is that essendon are morons, the other 16 teams wouldn't have paid 2 1st rounders for a guy that hasn't played in 2 years so the only club who overvalues him is Essendon.

All this proves is that essendon are morons, the other 16 teams wouldn't have paid 2 1st rounders for a guy that hasn't played in 2 years so the only club who overvalues him is Essendon.
We don't know what other clubs would or wouldn't have paid because they weren't involved. The opinion of BF posters means nothing. Also, as you incorrectly think Joe hasn't played for 2 years I feel no compulsion to place any value on your opinion either.

Judging by Essendon’s rejection of the offer & Bomber fans reaction we valued Daniher more than the picks offered.

Judging by the disappointment of the majority of Swans fans here and on their board they deep down also know Daniher was more valuable than what was offered.

Otherwise their would be a celebratory thread on there that’s you’ve kept your picks.

200cm tall high marking forwards are rare as hen’s teeth. Look at his performance at Anzac Day after a year out and missing a chunk of pre season.

You build your team around players like this and that’s why Swans fans are lamenting not getting him.

The word you are searching for is ambivalence

Swans fans were ambivalent to getting/not getting Daniher

I think both Sydney and Essendon fans can agree we got three good outcomes out of this whole situation.

Essendon got to keep Joe.
Swans did not overspend for Joe.
We both ****ed over Carlton.

Only because pick 9 and next years first is overs already, Let's be honest.

So you’re disappointed the trade didn’t happen? Have to be if you think it was overs. Next year’s first (and if the Swans had Daniher) could have been a pick in the 20s with all f/s and academy picks also taken into account.

So you’re disappointed the trade didn’t happen? Have to be if you think it was overs. Next year’s first (and if the Swans had Daniher) could have been a pick in the 20s with all f/s and academy picks also taken into account.

Heart is happy, head is not bothered either way. If we somehow got 5 and 9 I would have been very happy. And the emotional attachment essendon fans have with Joe is the very reason we value him higher than we should.

Beside the point though. To say most swans fans are unhappy the trade didn’t go through is just wrong.

And the emotional attachment essendon fans have with Joe is the very reason we value him higher than we should.
This is pretty much it. No way is Daniher worth 2 first or anything in that area right now after the past two years. But like you said, it's hard to let go of the attachment and also the talent that may or may not be fulfilled.

This is pretty much it. No way is Daniher worth 2 first or anything in that area right now after the past two years. But like you said, it's hard to let go of the attachment and also the talent that may or may not be fulfilled.

I’m not immune to the emotion either. My dream scenario is he gets to his best while playing for us. But I’m skeptical...

You shouldn't be at all disappointed. You get to see how his body holds out. Then if he plays 22 odd games & kicks 60 plus goals, we take any further future risk off your hands.

Don’t think you’ll be the only team enquiring if he kicks 60+. May not be the only team in Sydney even. Wouldn’t surprise if Lions even enquire. Or he extends at Essendon. Who knows.

Otherwise be quite happy to welcome Isaac or Nick.

A handful of posters nothing more

One player wanting to leave Essendon doesnt make it an exodus
Read back on your trade thread. Watch/listen to Harley and Gardiner all disappointed we didn’t rollover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think you’ll be the only team enquiring if he kicks 60+. May not be the only team in Sydney even. Wouldn’t surprise if Lions even enquire. Or he extends at Essendon. Who knows.

Otherwise be quite happy to welcome Isaac or Nick.
You keep believing that.
Just like Kelly went to the other WA team. He wasn't a free agent though.
You have issues at you club. Why else would Fantasia & Daniher expressed their intentions to leave only to be strong armed into staying against their will.
This won't end up being the lovey dovey happily ever after story you are expecting.

You keep believing that.
Just like Kelly went to the other WA team. He wasn't a free agent though.
You have issues at you club. Why else would Fantasia & Daniher expressed their intentions to leave only to be strong armed into staying against their will.
This won't end up being the lovey dovey happily ever after story you are expecting.
How was Fantasia strong armed? He decided to stay. Kelly wanted to go home because of his family situation.

How do I think it’s going to be ‘lovey dovey’ when I’ve just stated other teams may also be interested?

I think you’re a little bit emotional

Read back on your trade thread. Watch/listen to Harley and Gardiner all disappointed we didn’t rollover.
I guess reading another team's trade thread is one way to feel good about footy after no finals wins in 15 years.

If a player is contracted there is no onus on the club to accept any deal they don’t want to. You want a pet a player loose you’re going to have to make it worthwhile to the club to let them otherwise why would they do it? Keeping joe at the club is much more valuable than the draft picks offered as we don’t have any other key forwards any where near as good as him and what Sydney offered wouldn’t have helped us replace him. So we kept him, simple as that. It’s a risk that he might not get back to his best but I think pretty much all Essendon supporters are happy to take that risk. Players have no right to complain about being held to a contract they signed to earn them hundreds of thousands a year, that’s how contracts work.
Not simple as that because Dodoro kept conversations going until almost the final hour.

If it was just "we're keeping him no matter what. Piss off and stop calling us." then fine.

Did Dodoro actually think he was going to get more than picks 5&9? Is he that thick?

I think Dodoro got confused (or the PR team is conflating) two positions:
1. We never wanted to let Joe go to Sydney = mission accomplished.
2. We want a good deal for Daniher = mission failed.

If it's the first position then discussions should have been shut down on day 1.
If it's the second option then a deal should have been worked out. (pick 9 + next year's first is a good deal)

I think Dodoro failed at the second position and now it's being painted as though it was the first position. If the aim was to keep Daniher at Essendon then I don't get why the discussions lasted 10 days, and right into the very last period of the trade period.

The whole "he's more valuable to us than what Sydney are offering" is also crap.
At Essendon he's perennially injured and not worth much. (Unless they can somehow turn around the trend of the last two years).
At a different environment that can get him fit he's worth a lot.

Essendon were pushing for the value of Daniher in a different environment whilst claiming it was because of his value in the current environment.

I don't know if this has been part of a deliberate attempt to confuse the issues and perspectives and save face - or whether the Essendon perspective is confused and they don't realise they're talking in a twist.

Not simple as that because Dodoro kept conversations going until almost the final hour.

If it was just "we're keeping him no matter what. Piss off and stop calling us." then fine.

Did Dodoro actually think he was going to get more than picks 5&9? Is he that thick?

If it's the first position then discussions should have been shut down on day 1.
If it's the second option then a deal should have been worked out. (pick 9 + next year's first is a good deal)

I think Dodoro failed at the second position and now it's being painted as though it was the first position. If the aim was to keep Daniher at Essendon then I don't get why the discussions lasted 10 days, and right into the very last period of the trade period.

The whole "he's more valuable to us than what Sydney are offering" is also crap.
At Essendon he's perennially injured and not worth much. (Unless they can somehow turn around the trend of the last two years).

Essendon were pushing for the value of Daniher in a different environment whilst claiming it was because of his value in the current environment.

I don't know if this has been part of a deliberate attempt to confuse the issues and perspectives and save face - or whether the Essendon perspective is confused and they don't realise they're talking in a twist.
Yeah, pretty good summary. And people are gullible enough to believe the requests for a player like Blakey or Heeney were sincere and not a deliberate waste of time.

Yep he wanted a kings ransom it would of taken the biggest trade in history to get him to Sydney more than what Judd and Kelly went for.

Thats fine he was contracted so they can ask whatever they wanted.

Sydney never had 9 and didn’t offer 5. They said they never offered 5 and 9 but had been told it wouldn’t do the deal, who knows if that is true or not. I think the mission was we want to keep joe or we want wore than what he’s worth to us. If he’s fit he’s worth more to us than 9 and a future first in a draft that doesn’t have good kpf prospects and one that will be heavily compromised. Besides we need a good key forward now, we can’t wait years for one to develop. Joe is worth more to us now than he is to Sydney now as they have more decent key forwards. It’s a risk for us but happy to take it as he makes a massive difference for us when fit.

Yep he wanted a kings ransom it would of taken the biggest trade in history to get him to Sydney more than what Judd and Kelly went for.

Thats fine he was contracted so they can ask whatever they wanted.
Also - I wonder how Dodoro expected those players to be fine with uprooting and coming to Essendon if he hadn't spoken to them or their management up to that point.

Maybe he did? Who knows. But it sounds like he was horse trading and missed the fact that the trading assets have their own thoughts, opinions and decision making ability.

I mean - why wait until the trade has failed to start working on 'making Joe fall in love with Essendon again'. To me this is another sign that they were fine with him leaving. Why did it get as far as Daniher nominating Sydney without:
- Essendon convincing Daniher that he was valuable and wanted at Essendon and that they'd create an environment to make it work for him.
- Essendon talking to Sydney players that they were interested in to leverage the opportunity for something they wanted or needed.
- Essendon talking to Sydney and being clear well before/at the start of trade period that they wanted players so that the groundwork could be done.

I mean - there's some big oversights there. And like I said, maybe it all happened, but I haven't seen anything reported that suggests it was.

Sydney aren't off the hook here either.
I mean, they did put together a good offer for Daniher, but that's just the beginning.
They should have had a few convos with essendon before the trade period and gone into it with a good idea of what Essendon wanted and worked to make it happen.
The babbling interview from the Sydney list dude was embarassing. Really didn't seem like a guy that was clear on negotiation approaches or what he could/couldn't say.

Seems like a win-win for the clubs, only loser at this stage is Daniher. Essendon are clearly happy to take the risk of Daniher playing zero to five games next year and losing him for whatever compensation that dictates (which honestly is a credit to them) and Sydney are happy to not force a player out to get in a player who's simultaneously not a need and might not play even if he was, and have another crack when he's an RFA. Don't see that what happened is that contentious other than the AFL eking out every drop of media circus fare they could. Both clubs would quietly be satisfied with what happened.

I’m guessing it’s more nervous irritated laugh through gritted teeth. Can almost hear the grinding. You’re emotional
Emotional about what?
Daniher chased Sydney hard so he sees a future with us not you guys.
Sydney weren't going to over pay and end of next we get him anyway ... if we need him... and wont cost us stuff all
Your board was full of hilarious melts about daniher leaving and Sydney's trade offerings.
Essendons marque player wanting out ..
Quite a bitter pill to swallow I expect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back