Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Really depends whether Joe feels like Sydney undervalued him or not. Does Joe feel he is worth more than Sydney were prepared to offer for him? Who does he believe values him more now?

get your hand off it..

You groomed Joe that a trade will get done and Dodoro got his wish. He was straight up and very early from all reports. Sydney were the ones wanting this trade to get done but couldn't come up to the reserve asking price.

It's all good to back peddle but the reality is Sydney have egg on there face NOT Joe or Essendon in this case.

No egg here.... maybe you should stop reading and listening to the horribly biased Victorian media.

If it was that easy maybe you should offer him a contract then... But you haven’t have you.

You are aware what we do internally?

Essendon advised they were in discussions with JD re contract extension mid year but discussions went cold around then he Met with Harley in August.

I really think it was similar to Kelly last year and Bombers had no intention of trading Daniher unless it was ridiculous deal. And the issue is that they can match whatever Sydney offers and force a trade, similar to what happened with Danger.

I think ultimately, Daniher isnt going anywhere for cheap.

We’ll use our first pick next year. Whether it’s to Essendon or in the draft is pretty irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
You are aware what we do internally?

Essendon advised they were in discussions with JD re contract extension mid year but discussions went cold around then he Met with Harley in August.

Fudge words... discussions are not offers. Your club is worried about his durability and hasn’t offered anything because of it. But at the same time you expect us to pay more than nearly any other player in history for him... You’re within your rights but don’t kid yourself it’s not a bad look for your club. Enjoy the circus

Fudge words... discussions are not offers. Your club is worried about his durability and hasn’t offered anything because of it. But at the same time you expect us to pay more than nearly any other player in history for him... You’re within your rights but don’t kid yourself it’s not a bad look for your club. Enjoy the circus

You usually have a discussions
before you sign a contract so the terms are agreed......

So many people seem to still be rating Joe on potential. He has had one outstanding season in seven. His career stats are no better than Tim Membrey's.
Essendon had the chance to offload an injury riddled and erratic player who doesn't want to play for them for two first rounders. They blew it because of the ego of the list manager. Now the club and Joe will have to endure a year of speculation about his future. This is a terrible result for Essendon.

So many people seem to still be rating Joe on potential. He has had one outstanding season in seven. His career stats are no better than Tim Membrey's.
Essendon had the chance to offload an injury riddled and erratic player who doesn't want to play for them for two first rounders. They blew it because of the ego of the list manager. Now the club and Joe will have to endure a year of speculation about his future. This is a terrible result for Essendon.

or Sydney could have given us what we actually asked for?

IMO he wasn't worth 5 and 9, or 9 + a player, maybe 2 years ago coming off his 65 goal year, but not now. It would take an absolute elite A-grader to play 11 games in 2 years and be worth that, I don't think we've seen enough from Daniher to say he is.

Essendon value him as he has shown his talent and there isn't many key forwards coming through in the drafts, but ultimately he has had a shocking run with injuries of late and is a free agent next year and so 9 and a future first seemed more than fair to me, maybe even overs. If he ends up leaving next year for a compo pick, and/or his injuries continue, this will look terrible for the bombers. If he manages to overcome his injuries and get back to his pre-injury form AND stays, it'll be a big win, but that seems very unlikely to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No winners out of this.
Sydney obviously courted him for months, yet failed to follow through.
Essendon, completely overrated a guy who’s played 11 games in 2 seasons.
Asking for a player the ilk of Heeney, what a joke, JD not fit to carry his bags.
So Swans have egg on face, and ESS have a player who doesn’t want to be there, and will go for much less in 12 mnths.

availability is the best ability. expecting any club to offer up high first rounders and a player for someone on big coin and has only played a half of two seasons is ludicrous.

i'm glad the swans didn't bite. they already have a tall forward who can't get on the park consistently.

Not sure why so many are confident he'll go again. Clearly disappointed with how little Sydney did to get him. Then it comes to his onfield performance. Either he kills it or struggles to overcome his injuries. If he kills it Essendon is going to be a very good side and he'll probably choose to stay. If he really struggles Sydney won't be chasing him.

Not sure why so many are confident he'll go again. Clearly disappointed with how little Sydney did to get him. Then it comes to his onfield performance. Either he kills it or struggles to overcome his injuries. If he kills it Essendon is going to be a very good side and he'll probably choose to stay. If he really struggles Sydney won't be chasing him.

If the reports are true that the Swans 5,9 and a player and Dodo rejected it, I would say The Swans tried their best to get him, not their fault Essendon and Lord Dumbledoro were too stubborn (and stupid) to take the deal.

What happens if the live picks 5 and 9 in this year's draft turn out to be guns, and Daniher keeps struggling with chronic injuries ?

It could go either way, but the Bombers are taking a bloody big (many would say foolish) risk assuming JD can get healthy again and re-sign.

FYI I am a big fan of Joe, seems like one of the unique characters of footy, really hope he can stay healthy and play good footy (for whatever team

I think both clubs are at fault here Papley and Daniher should of been giving their wish, word is Papley already moved out of his residence.

Career defining season for both of them imo.
Neither club is at fault for either of the trades falling over. Both had signed binding contracts with the players, which the players were happy to take and at the time of signing provides security to both club and player. If one party decides they don’t want it any longer, it has to be mutually acceptable to all parties to break the contract. If not they are back to fulfilling their obligations. These guys are professional footballers surrounded by a bunch of so called experts (managers) giving them advice on the future and what they should do. I guess sometimes they are actually going to be held to account on what they have agreed.

Neither club is at fault for either of the trades falling over. Both had signed binding contracts with the players, which the players were happy to take and at the time of signing provides security to both club and player. If one party decides they don’t want it any longer, it has to be mutually acceptable to all parties to break the contract. If not they are back to fulfilling their obligations. These guys are professional footballers surrounded by a bunch of so called experts (managers) giving them advice on the future and what they should do. I guess sometimes they are actually going to be held to account on what they have agreed.
I disagree with this. If Papley is really struggling in Sydney and Daniher in Melbourne, IMO the clubs should be merciful and get the deals done.

For the record, if Carlton offered pick 9, I think we should have done the deal irrespective of Daniher. I don't blame the club if Carlton kept offering 9 for Papley + 25 though.

If the reports are true that the Swans 5,9 and a player and Dodo rejected it, I would say The Swans tried their best to get him, not their fault Essendon and Lord Dumbledoro were too stubborn (and stupid) to take the deal.

What happens if the live picks 5 and 9 in this year's draft turn out to be guns, and Daniher keeps struggling with chronic injuries ?

It could go either way, but the Bombers are taking a bloody big (many would say foolish) risk assuming JD can get healthy again and re-sign.

FYI I am a big fan of Joe, seems like one of the unique characters of footy, really hope he can stay healthy and play good footy (for whatever team
That wasnt on the table. Both list managers stated that at the post trade week press release.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back