Josh Caddy - The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Early last year I wanted him dropped due to his turnovers and bad decision making. By the end of the year he was proving to be a good foil up front and providing grit, aggression and lots of mouth to the oppo. By finals he was one of our most important players. A great pick up and now a pivotal player in the team.

Early last year I wanted him dropped due to his turnovers and bad decision making. By the end of the year he was proving to be a good foil up front and providing grit, aggression and lots of mouth to the oppo. By finals he was one of our most important players. A great pick up and now a pivotal player in the team.
He certainly looks happy and more confident. And is surrounded by a great team. As I said, good luck to him- I hold no bad feelings about him, but have not rated him as a must have player.

He certainly looks happy and more confident. And is surrounded by a great team. As I said, good luck to him- I hold no bad feelings about him, but have not rated him as a must have player.
I too don't think he is a great player. He fits our system very well and we've got the best out of him.

It's worked out well. Menegola was an instant upgrade and plays in a manner I really like.

I too don't think he is a great player. He fits our system very well and we've got the best out of him.
It's worked out well. Menegola was an instant upgrade and plays in a manner I really like.
See this is how it should be, a player who's stagnated at one club moving over to another and succeeding. All parties happy

My main beef with him was he had 6 or so seasons at Geelong to become as good as them. Then they both come to the club and straight into it there's no bs.

Everyone forgets he was pick no 7 in the draft.

Yeah, there's no BS with Scott Selwood. He just spends the vast majority of his time on the sidelines injured. Another perennially injured Geelong player who might be good if he could get on the park for more than 10 games a season, if at all.

Yeah, there's no BS with Scott Selwood. He just spends the vast majority of his time on the sidelines injured. Another perennially injured Geelong player who might be good if he could get on the park for more than 10 games a season, if at all.

Now now don’t sensationalise to serve your warped agendas. 14 games last season and 4th in the B&F for votes per game.

Alas like the rest of the squad he’s playing football this weekend. So fit at season’s start.

Now now don’t sensationalise to serve your warped agendas. 14 games last season and 4th in the B&F for votes per game.

Alas like the rest of the squad he’s playing football this weekend. So fit at season’s start.
Averages 11 games a season over the last four years. That includes games where he was injured mid-game and contributed little as a result.

Averages 11 games a season over the last four years. That includes games where he was injured mid-game and contributed little as a result.

That’s not what you said so cut your usual diatribe. You have a bee in your bonnet on this sort of thing and it’s pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol the stark difference is when Scott plays he's not a liability. I don't care if he plays in 2 years, as long as Caddy isn't there to turnover the ball.

If I had to lose Menegola. I'd still have Scott on our list over Caddy.

Last edited:
Scott Selwood's first year with Geelong saw him play 5 games. Yeah, no BS, just straight into the side.
Agree BB, the reason caddy is at Richmond is a certain blindness to s. Selwoods shortcomings at Geelong.

What's in a name?

Tiges made like bandits from that blindness, without Caddy we aren't reigning prems, and would not have
Beaten the blues last night either.

When we had Caddy, I seriously didn't rate him. He is marginally more consistent at Richmond. Where did he finish in their B&F? 19th- Say no more.
OK, Where did Menegola finish in ours? 6th.
So your justification for letting Caddy go is that you have a better player that would take his place in the team? Doesn't seem like a convincing argument considering Geelong's lack of depth.

The fact is we got Caddy + pick 53 (Jack Graham that is) for pick 24 (Parfitt) and pick 60 (Narkle). We are well ahead on that trade with Caddy and Graham important parts of a premiership team.

Last edited:
Consider Caddy a thank-you for taking Kent Kingsley off our hands at the end of 2006 with the last rookie pick which could've been used on James Podsiadly who was also trying out for a spot on the Richmond list at the time, allowing us to rookie list him 4 years later. Oh, and for some bloke named Brad Ottens.

Consider Caddy a thank-you for taking Kent Kingsley off our hands at the end of 2006 with the last rookie pick which could've been used on James Podsiadly who was also trying out for a spot on the Richmond list at the time, allowing us to rookie list him 4 years later. Oh, and for some bloke named Brad Ottens.
4 years later for Pods?! Long bow!!

And Caddy wanted to be at Geelong but was pushed out by the Selwood bros. Ottens move was a dog act from the player himself. Nothing the Tigers could do, and don't blame Geelong for tapping him up. Fair game and it just comes down to the integrity and loyalty of the player.

Ottens even allowed himself to be wheeled out in a Geelong scarf at the QF, willing pawn in a club-level act of trolling..

..But Ottens is now famous for ringing a bell nobody heard..delicious

swings and roundabouts

Nice to get one back on you. You forget to mention Craig Biddescome for pick 8 in the 1998 draft. Ended up being on traded to Sydney which the Swans used to pick up Jude Bolton.

The recruitment of Caddy, along with Prestia, added the missing grunt to our midfield the lack of which had been the reason why we kept losing finals, reliant as we were on two relatively small inside mids in Cotchin and Miles. Contested footy being so much more important in finals. This freed up Cotchin to play a more attacking role, and Caddy is the natural foil for Martin, rotating with him in and out of the forward line and middle.

Would he have been as valuable at Geelong? Might a different coach than Scott have discovered an equally valuable role there for him? I have no idea. But for us he was a perfect fit, regardless of where he came in our B & F. And, incidentally, so far this year he's looking the goods to maybe step up a level. Was certainly one of our best on Thursday night.

Geelong must be absolutely kicking themselves that they let this guy go. Is an absolute jet of a player who has become a key cog in Richmond's machine. I firmly believe Geelong would have had a better chance if he was still a part of their team. He is a criminally underrated player who has all the key attributes of a great football player. Clean hands, elite disposal and a hard tackler with some wheels on him. He was my pick for the Norm Smith medal and player of the finals. Kicked some great goals this finals series and was an out and out gun.

What do you guy think? Do you think Geelong will be shattered he left them?

Very happy we got rid of him. Was no room for him in the midfield. Elite kick?? He is actually quite an average kick. Where did you get elite kick from??

We have gotten Brandan Parfitt, which we rate more highly then caddy at the club.

Caddy is just a solid B grade player, Parfitt will be better long term

When we had Caddy, I seriously didn't rate him. He is marginally more consistent at Richmond. Where did he finish in their B&F? 19th- Say no more.
OK, Where did Menegola finish in ours? 6th.
This is a really narrow view of his impact at Richmond.

Recruiting Prestia and Caddy not only added midfield depth, but allowed guys like Cotchin and Martin get off the leash and push forward in the finals series.

The vast difference between Cotchin and Martins 2017 finals performances versus previous years is not only testiment to their improvement, but guys like Prestia and Caddy giving them a chop out. Caddy and Townsend also gave the forward line a bit of mongrel which we were lacking.

Best and Fairest performances at clubs are great to judge. I’d rather look at how a player has helped the team improve as a whole, which ultimately contributed to Richmond’s premiership success last year.
Will take a flag and Caddy’s 19th in the B&F over Geelongs result and Menegolas 6th place in their B&F.

Not to mention we got a pick upgrade as part of this trade to grab Jack Graham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back