Traded Josh Caddy [traded to Richmond with pick 56 for picks 24 and 64]

Remove this Banner Ad

The best bit was that, at the time, BigFooty universally panned essendon as being unreasonable and hard to deal with for not giving it to them

Essendon has that reputation for more than just this deal, and that you were right in this case doesn't mean it's not generally true.

As for the thread topic...I'm not sure what the fuss is about...Richmond effectively paid a late 20's pick for him (after factoring in the swap of later picks). He doesn't need to be a superstar for that to be a good deal for Richmond, especially given that the knock on RFC is that we have stars, but lack 2nd tier players...But when we pick up the likes of Caddy ( and to go back, the likes of Grigg and Houli) people talk crap about how they're not 'great'...:rolleyes:

Essendon has that reputation for more than just this deal, and that you were right in this case doesn't mean it's not generally true.
Essendon got that reputation for not taking shitty deals. There's not a single Essendon supporter who cares that we're seen a tough club to deal with, because we're more pleased that we didn't settle for Port's second rounder, Seb Ross and handing over Hooker and a first rounder for Josh Spuddy.

But even a second round pick seemed too much for the bloke based on today's output. Not sure how he keeps getting by.

Essendon got that reputation for not taking shitty deals. There's not a single Essendon supporter who cares that we're seen a tough club to deal with, because we're more pleased that we didn't settle for Port's second rounder, Seb Ross and handing over Hooker and a first rounder for Josh Spuddy.

But even a second round pick seemed too much for the bloke based on today's output. Not sure how he keeps getting by.
Yes the bombers are great at deals.

Very happy with how this trade has turned out so far.

In just his 3rd game Parfitt managed to rack up 23 disposals, 13 contested, 5 tackles and a goal in what was a pretty hot match with the scoreboard flattering us in the end. Could be a great result for both clubs this trade, with Caddy hopefully starting to find his feet at the Tiges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caddy was a good player but poor fit for the cats. I think it's going to be one of the rare win-win trades with the Tigers getting more grunt in terms of inside mids which I think they needed and Geelong got themselves a bit more pace in the forward-line.

Caddy was a good player but poor fit for the cats. I think it's going to be one of the rare win-win trades with the Tigers getting more grunt in terms of inside mids which I think they needed and Geelong got themselves a bit more pace in the forward-line.
Caddy along with Prestia also free up Cotchin.

People may be critical of Caddy's numbers for the rest of his career considering he was a top pick who's main excuse had always been a lack of midfield opportunity, and whilst that will still come when we get a genuine CHF/FF or when Griff stays healthy, Caddy's inclusion has done wonders.

One of our biggest strengths during our Top 8 years was the ability to send Dusty or Cotch forward and still have the ability to compete in the middle, which is exactly what we've got going on in 2017. Caddy and Prestia haven't hit their straps yet but no doubt they will, and hopefully when that happens we're still in a position to push for the Top 8. What sucks is I don't think we'd do a lot of damage IF we made the finals this year. Maybe in 2018 if we're in a position that Griffiths can't make the 22 when healthy, and we desperately need a developing key defender in case Astbury or, god forbid...Rance goes down.

People may be critical of Caddy's numbers for the rest of his career considering he was a top pick who's main excuse had always been a lack of midfield opportunity, and whilst that will still come when we get a genuine CHF/FF or when Griff stays healthy, Caddy's inclusion has done wonders.

He's clearly just not good enough to be played primarily as a midfielder in sides with any kind of midfield quality or depth. He was pushed out of the midfield at Geelong, and he's never been given a look-in at Richmond. The comment from him that he'd get more midfield chances at Richmond was always strange, because even as a non-Richmond fan I could see that they had a number of guys who would take precedence over him in the midfield, perhaps more than Geelong. So it's not surprising now to see him playing almost exclusively as a forward.

Yeah. This doesn't (necessarily!) need to be a pissing contest.

We got rid of a type that was surplus to our requirements, and got a type that we needed. I honestly don't know enough about Richmond's list to know if Caddy is a perfect fit, but it seems they're happy with him in a sort of "inside half forward" kind of role.

He's clearly just not good enough to be played primarily as a midfielder in sides with any kind of midfield quality or depth. He was pushed out of the midfield at Geelong, and he's never been given a look-in at Richmond. The comment from him that he'd get more midfield chances at Richmond was always strange, because even as a non-Richmond fan I could see that they had a number of guys who would take precedence over him in the midfield, perhaps more than Geelong. So it's not surprising now to see him playing almost exclusively as a forward.
The thing that will always aggravate me about Caddy is that he was always talented enough to play full-time in the middle, and do it well.

so you know our own team better than we do? thanks. :rolleyes:

As said, he's playing forward for structural reasons, due to being a bigger body

I think with Caddy we shouldn't be judging him just on HIS output. We need to factor in Cotchin and Martin as well as Caddy and Pestia have freed them up to play more up forward and it is already paying dividends. We don't need Caddy to be a star. We need him to provide some grunt around the contests, chip in with a goal and just play a role. Obviously once he finds his feet, his output should rise as well, but for now he is an integral part of why Dusty has had the ripping season so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back