Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah.

Kennedy ended up being a great player, but let's be real; a guy averaging half a goal a game playing for a cellar dweller is not the centerpiece of a trade to land one of the best mids in the comp.

He was a project player when he got traded. WCE did a great job at developing him.
He was pick 4 and the highest rated KPP of the draft.

You don't take project players at pick 4, lmao.

Are Melbourne supporters in this thread all there?

He was pick 4 and the highest rated KPP of the draft.

You don't take project players at pick 4, lmao.

Are Melbourne supporters in this thread all there?

What relevance does his draft selection have? No one cares about the draft position after the debut.

He was a bum that kicked 10 goals in 20 games before he was included as steak knives in the Chris Judd trade.

Which goes back to my point - teams rarely get fair value when an out of contract player wants to leave. The best Melbourne can hope for is some picks, some pick swaps and maybe a fringe player that hopefully developes into a valuable contributor down the line.

What relevance does his draft selection have? No one cares about the draft position after the debut.

He was a bum that kicked 10 goals in 20 games before he was included as steak knives in the Chris Judd trade.

Which goes back to my point - teams rarely get fair value when an out of contract player wants to leave. The best Melbourne can hope for is some picks, some pick swaps and maybe a fringe player that hopefully developes into a valuable contributor down the line.
West Coast smashed this trade. Kennedy got a flag and is one of west coasts all time forwards. Carlton got a bloke who goes the chicken wing. No doubting Judd’s talent but they put everything into the one bloke and ended up winning f’all.

2nd year forward struggles to kick goals in a wooden spoon side.

Good to see you've used critical thinking in your analysis :rolleyes:

700 goals later, there was a reason Carlton didn't want to give him up.

Pick 20 was the steak knives.

2nd year forward struggles to kick goals in a wooden spoon side.

Good to see you've used critical thinking in your analysis :rolleyes:

700 goals later, there was a reason Carlton didn't want to give him up.

Pick 20 was the steak knives.

LMAO

More like "Carlton didn't want to keep him". Read the news articles from the time - Kennedy's preference was to stay but Carlton shopped him to get the deal done because they wanted to hold onto the #1 pick.

Eagles teammates were also making Kennedy wear a t-shirt saying 'Worst Trade Ever' during his first year.

Sure, you could argue that Eagles won the trade but that only 10 years after the fact. Pick 3 and 20 were the prize in the trade, not some fat kid from the bush that had achieved nothing at AFL level up until that point.

Hopefully the Dees luck out and pry a fringe player from Freo that will develop into an mutliple AA calibre player!

LMAO

More like "Carlton didn't want to keep him". Read the news articles from the time - Kennedy's preference was to stay but Carlton shopped him to get the deal done because they wanted to hold onto the #1 pick.

Eagles teammates were also making Kennedy wear a t-shirt saying 'Worst Trade Ever' during his first year.

Sure, you could argue that Eagles won the trade but that only 10 years after the fact. Pick 3 and 20 were the prize in the trade, not some fat kid from the bush that had achieved nothing at AFL level up until that point.

Hopefully the Dees luck out and pry a fringe player from Freo that will develop into an mutliple AA calibre player!
Lol.

Eagles made Kennedy the centrepiece of the deal, after Carlton refused to give up pick 1 (we wanted Cotchin) & 3.

You're not as smart as you think you are.

Guess Jackson's still a turd that needs polishing, only performing well because he's in a top side.

Drop him in a wooden spooner and see how he goes.

Oh wait, that might actually happen next year...

What a ridiculous thing to say about a top 4 draft pick. Project player, my ******* god...

Lol.

Eagles made Kennedy the centrepiece of the deal, after Carlton refused to give up pick 1 (we wanted Cotchin) & 3.

You're not as smart as you think you are.

Guess Jackson's still a turd that needs polishing, only performing well because he's in a top side.

Drop him in a wooden spooner and see how he goes.

Oh wait, that might actually happen next year...

What a ridiculous thing to say about a top 4 draft pick. Project player, my ******* god...

The Weagles developed Kennedy into a multi-time Coleman medalist and you're still mad about it!

LOL!

His ascension is a credit to the development at WCE. Not for being a fat kid that spent two years being a bum in the VFL that was taken at #4 in the draft. Plenty of other top picks have flamed out.

Understand Freo fans may feel like they've been duped on the trade table in the past and want their club to use whatever leverage they have, which is fair enough. If Freo commit to Jackson on a long term and big money deal though, can't see them also coming to the trade table with crumbs.

Melbourne are usually amicable with trades and won't hold out for a dream deal so I expect some middle ground to be found if he requests a move. Something similar to the Hogan deal (early first + early second from memory) seems about right to me. May require some creative pick swapping if it's to Freo.

Agree with other posters suggesting he probably isn't worth a big money deal (800+ or so) at this stage, definitely think he has a high ceiling and is ahead of where other ruckmen are at for his age, but paying big money for potential is a pretty significant risk. With a lot of quality young talent at Freo who will be wanting bigger deals down the line (and a good young ruckman already on the list), it's a big call.

The Weagles developed Kennedy into a multi-time Coleman medalist and you're still mad about it!

LOL!
No, I'm actually just dumb-founded that you appear to believe Carlton took a 'project' forward at pick 4 in the national draft, that somehow ended up a great of the game.

Project players get picked in round 4+ and the rookie draft.

Clubs don't 'take a punt' on a bloke with a top 5 draft pick. They pick players they are supremely confident will end up stars of the game, like Watts, Scully and Trengove....

These next few weeks are where we really get to see if he is worth the "million dollars a year and 3 first round draft picks" suggestions in this thread, as he will get an opportunity to prove that value as a proper AFL number 1 ruck and not a second utility under the best ruck in the game.

Will be watching with interest to see if the hype is actually justified.

No, I'm actually just dumb-founded that you appear to believe Carlton took a 'project' forward at pick 4 in the national draft, that somehow ended up a great of the game.

Project players get picked in round 4+ and the rookie draft.

Clubs don't 'take a punt' on a bloke with a top 5 draft pick. They pick players they are supremely confident will end up stars of the game, like Watts, Scully and Trengove....

Imagine taking Chris Masten at #3 when players such as Dangerfield or Rioli are still on the board.

Could have even taken Harry Taylor or Alex Rance if the recruiters were set on only recruiting the best WA talent.

The draft is a crapshoot. The best player is rarely the #1 pick.

Being a high pick is only beneficial to a player that flames out as there will always be a club willing to give them a second chance thinking that they can 'fix them' ala Josh Kennedy

Understand Freo fans may feel like they've been duped on the trade table in the past and want their club to use whatever leverage they have, which is fair enough. If Freo commit to Jackson on a long term and big money deal though, can't see them also coming to the trade table with crumbs.

Melbourne are usually amicable with trades and won't hold out for a dream deal so I expect some middle ground to be found if he requests a move. Something similar to the Hogan deal (early first + early second from memory) seems about right to me. May require some creative pick swapping if it's to Freo.

Agree with other posters suggesting he probably isn't worth a big money deal (800+ or so) at this stage, definitely think he has a high ceiling and is ahead of where other ruckmen are at for his age, but paying big money for potential is a pretty significant risk. With a lot of quality young talent at Freo who will be wanting bigger deals down the line (and a good young ruckman already on the list), it's a big call.
End of the day we can only really offer what we physically can. Come trade time i expect Lobb to ask for a trade again. I expect we will likely offer that Pick plus an additional first rounder. Maybe Saints would give up their first for Lobb plus a second back?

Imagine taking Chris Masten at #3 when players such as Dangerfield or Rioli are still on the board.

Could have even taken Harry Taylor or Alex Rance if the recruiters were set on only recruiting the best WA talent.

The draft is a crapshoot. The best player is rarely the #1 pick.

Being a high pick is only beneficial to a player that flames out as there will always be a club willing to give them a second chance thinking that they can 'fix them' ala Josh Kennedy
The higher they are, the better the chances.

Sure, you get a few diamonds but players generally fall back further in the draft not solely on talent, it's professionalism, desire, attitude, work rate and willingness to move that sees players fall back further in the draft.

Take J.McGovern for instance. All the talent in the world but lacked the professionalism to realise it earl on. That changed and now he's a star of the game.

A lot of players never realise their potential but you'd think most top 5 picks would.

Sure, it's a bit of a crapshoot but you don't take punts with top 5 picks. I think recruiters are getting better at this, which is why it's not as common to see talls go 1/2 anymore, for instance. Mids are generally easier to gauge form of, plus there's no point for a rebuilding side getting the best tall forward if there's nobody to kick it to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of the day we can only really offer what we physically can. Come trade time i expect Lobb to ask for a trade again. I expect we will likely offer that Pick plus an additional first rounder. Maybe Saints would give up their first for Lobb plus a second back?
Correct. So you'll have to work with a 3rd club. You'd have to package and re-package. pick 14-ish and steak knives isn't even going to get us into the trade room discussions. We'll need a top 10 pick plus next years first rounder. minimum. Anything less is purely disrespectful.

Did you really just say that you'll get a first rounder for Lobb? Or did I misread that? A first rounder for Lobb who will be 30 next year. LOL!

Hit it on the head there , tricky trade to get done I think

I would love Jackson but most Freo ( big footy anyway ) fans don’t want to pay up

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Hit it on the head there , tricky trade to get done I think

I would love Jackson but most Freo ( big footy anyway ) fans don’t want to pay up

A bunch of Peter Bells. Want want want but never willing to give. He was an absolute nightmare to work with during the Hogan trade. He held up the whole 2 weeks for everyone. I'm glad the trade didn't work out for him. Served him right.

A bunch of Peter Bells. Want want want but never willing to give. He was an absolute nightmare to work with during the Hogan trade. He held up the whole 2 weeks for everyone. I'm glad the trade didn't work out for him. Served him right.

Probably best if he just re-signs TBPH

Correct. So you'll have to work with a 3rd club. You'd have to package and re-package. pick 14-ish and steak knives isn't even going to get us into the trade room discussions. We'll need a top 10 pick plus next years first rounder. minimum. Anything less is purely disrespectful.

Did you really just say that you'll get a first rounder for Lobb? Or did I misread that? A first rounder for Lobb who will be 30 next year. LOL!
I would say end of first early second. Key Forward Rucks are sort after. He is also contracted for another season?

He maybe 30 next year but there seems to be clubs who are offering 3 years+ on his next deal

Bell’s concerns well and truely came to fruition here, was 100% correct in hesitating. With hindsight is a really weird take to think otherwise, even from a Melbourne supporter.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Freo fans a little quiet after that first half. lol

12 touches, 11 hitouts, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 3 inside 50's and a very good 227m gained. And he's 20.

'but but, he's based purely on potential'. lol.

Even if he goes missing after half time, this is what you're getting.

12 touches, 11 hitouts, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 3 inside 50's and a very good 227m gained. And he's 20.

And a big fat ZERO goals. Useless

He has started very well tonight. I wanna see him do this for the next 3 weeks :)

This game won't have any bearing on his value.

Freo have already decided what he is worth to them, and it's contained in the offer they made.

Peter Bell isn't going to be stumbling over wastebins to add a few 00s to a contract he's already sent.

fmd

lol. Jackson's first game at solo ruck and he's killing it, as expected.

'potential'.. haha. how embarrassing for freo fans. Shows their inability to rate and analyse football talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back