Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the other 5 drills was gaol kicking
Oh dear. That sounds like an interesting way to prepare for a game. I can get on board with that though.

**** the establishment! Yeah!

Training Notes from Thursday 1st June
Cold and cloudy, no breeze - 11C.

Not Training:
Jesse White
Limited Training:
Ben Reid
Ben Sinclair
**Rupert Wills
Travis Varcoe
**Rupert ran steady laps for about 30 minutes but left the track at 10:30 and I swear he was limping.
Travis looks weeks away. He just ran slow laps.

Most of the work centred around clearance drills today. The players rotated through about 5 set drills. Onballers, forwards and backs worked together. A lot of work was put into ruck contests from boundary throw-ins. In this drill, Cox was opposed to Grundy, whilst Moore and Mitch McCarthy were pitted against each other. Grundy was trying to flip the ball backwards to a running mid.

In handball drills 8 players were opposed to to each other in teams of 4. Pendles was very involved and for a while I thought he was running this drill. Spoke at length to Daicos and appeared to be developing a new style of very fast handball; it was sort of a throw/paddle.
After he did it 3 times I concluded it was no accident.

One of the other 5 drills was goal kicking, where Bucks stood on the mark and a player on the 50 metre mark attempted to deliver to a leading forward under pressure. There was also a set-shot drill.

Thankfully, a few beards will disappear tonight as the players defeated the coaches in the goal kicking competition.

Today's session was the most animated I have seen the group. There was a real sense of camaraderie. Early in the session, Pendles led the entire group on a jog to the AAMI wing. Once there, they formed a circle and had a chat. When they broke up there were broad smiles all round.

If training were the key to selection, Callum Brown selected himself. He was impressive today.

The TV crews kept a close eye on Faz and as one cameraman remarked, probably the best place for him - out on the field with his mates. He trained well.

Happy to answer any questions.
Thanks again for another great report

Great report.
Always a pleasure trading them.

Thankfully, a few beards will disappear tonight as the players defeated the coaches in the goal kicking competition.

Rather strangely, I think the wager was the lads keep growing their beards until they lose a game of footy.

(Source: one of either the Pendles or Treloar podcasts, don't remember which one)

Training Notes: Thursday 8th June
Fine and sunny 8.5C
Quite a sizeable attendance this morning considering it's not a school holiday session; we must be winning!

Not Training: Elliott, Wells, Goldsack
Limited Training: Rupert Wills, Travis Varcoe, Ben Sinclair
Back in Full Training: Jesse White, Ben Reid, James Aish (wearing helmet)
Pretty difficult to pick players today as most were sporting beards and MND beanies.
The last player to enter the arena at 10:30 was Brodie Grundy. All players were then addressed by Neale Daniher.
As they did last week, the players were led by Scott Pendlebury in a jog to the outer wing where they formed a circle and stood arm in arm for a bit of a chat. The players were then split into 5 groups and rotated through drills. These drills were:
1. Goal kicking - set shots from 35-40 metres no angle. Then snapping on left foot. Hoskin-Elliott couldn't miss.
2. Clearance drills - rolling ball; designated player attacked the ball attempting to gather cleanly under pressure from two others. Blair was fantastic here.
3. Forward man on man drill. Sharenberg V White, Reid v Langdon, Smith V Mackie. Players didn't attempt to mark, but tried to take front position to palm down. Sharenberg was opposed to White every time. Shaz is a great reader of the ball in the air that he is rarely beaten. This morning he bested Jesse easily. Jesse's new hair colour was described by a young lady near me as a blonde 'full Bieber". It looked to be strawberry blonde to me.
4. Clearance drill - two players attempt to recover rolling ball front a starting position on their knees.
5. Tackling drill - players encouraged to spin out of tackles; two players wearing grid-iron type padding. Brown very strong in ducking these tackles and slipping free to handpass.
•Taylor Adams is a star on the track- he goes into every drill like a bull.
•Brown must be selected this week; very impressive in all drills today.
•Faz appeared to be in good spirits and trained strongly.
•Ben Crocker and Lachie Keeffe left the drills to do 200 metre runs along the social club side for a lot of the session.
Players V Coaches Goal Kicking Competition: Players win again 6-5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fine and sunny 8.5C
Quite a sizeable attendance this morning considering it's not a school holiday session; we must be winning!

Pretty difficult to pick players today as most were sporting beards and MND beanies.
The last player to enter the arena at 10:30 was Brodie Grundy. All players were then addressed by Neale Daniher.
As they did last week, the players were led by Scott Pendlebury in a jog to the outer wing where they formed a circle and stood arm in arm for a bit of a chat. The players were then split into 5 groups and rotated through drills. These drills were:
1. Goal kicking - set shots from 35-40 metres no angle. Then snapping on left foot. Hoskin-Elliott couldn't miss.
2. Clearance drills - rolling ball; designated player attacked the ball attempting to gather cleanly under pressure from two others. Blair was fantastic here.
3. Forward man on man drill. Sharenberg V White, Reid v Langdon, Smith V Mackie. Players didn't attempt to mark, but tried to take front position to palm down. Sharenberg was opposed to White every time. Shaz is a great reader of the ball in the air that he is rarely beaten. This morning he bested Jesse easily. Jesse's new hair colour was described by a young lady near me as a blonde 'full Bieber". It looked to be strawberry blonde to me.
4. Clearance drill - two players attempt to recover rolling ball front a starting position on their knees.
5. Tackling drill - players encouraged to spin out of tackles; two players wearing grid-iron type padding. Brown very strong in ducking these tackles and slipping free to handpass.
•Ben Crocker and Lachie Keeffe left the drills to do 200 metre runs along the social club side for a lot of the session.
You got Brown right, he's a confirmed in, along with Fasolo :)

Fine and sunny 8.5C

Did you mean to say Reid in full training? If so why would he not be ready for selection.

Did you mean to say Reid in full training? If so why would he not be ready for selection.
Given his injury history I'd say that playing it safe and giving him until after the bye is the smart thing to do.

Given his injury history I'd say that playing it safe and giving him until after the bye is the smart thing to do.

Probably. I obviousy don't have the required info, GPS, work put into the muscle etc but if he is in full training then the injury itself would be fine you woud think.

No need to be reckless, I agree, but one thing that seems to have made no difference / improvement to our management of soft tissue injuries is what seems to be a conservative approach - accepting Reid's history may make him a special case.

Last edited:
Probably. I obviousy don't have the required info, GPS, work put into the muscle etc but if he is in full training then the injury itself woud be fine you woud think.

No need to be reckless, I agree, but one thing that seems to have made no difference / improvement to our management of soft isue injuries is a what seems to be a conservative approach - accepting Reid's history may make him a special case.
I guess at the end of the day there's always a difference between training intensity vs match intensity, hence the training but not playing.

And he is definitely participating, there's a photo of him in today's picture gallery doing drills/match sim along with Fasolo and Aish in a ridiculous looking helmet to protect his cheek.

Fine and sunny 8.5C

Thanks, Mazzarjo!

Fine and sunny 8.5C

Super effort Mazza... I remain depressed by Ruperts extensive absence....

Yes, he did all the training and looked cherry ripe. They are being conservative. Reckon that's the way to go. Interestingly, he trained as a forward pretty much exclusively today.

Yes, he did all the training and looked cherry ripe. They are being conservative. Reckon that's the way to go. Interestingly, he trained as a forward pretty much exclusively today.
Thanks. If we can somehow beat he odds and win on Monday we look cherry ripe for an assault on finals the last 10 rounds if he, Elliott etc are back in.

I tell ya, a forward line like this...

HF: ~ WHE ~ Moore ~ Elliott
FF: ~ Fasolo ~ Reid ~ Kirby

... is gonna have some potency!

P.S. Anyone wanna have a crack at the Kirby selection come at me! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back