Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon it may work if we alter the roles a bit and use Cox the way we used A. Rocca in 2003. Cox takes the centre bounces and then moves forward. Grundy starts at the back of the square and becomes the around the ground follower. This will result in Grundy being able to do what he does best - follower - for longer as he'll use less energy by not contesting centre bounces. From the brief snippets that i've seen, I also rate Cox's centre bounce work higher than Grundy's.

I reckon this is how they are most likely to succeed together and it will give us genuine ruck strength with them being able to wear down the number one from the opposition and exploit the number 2, but for it to fully succeed it all comes down to whether Cox is good enough to contribute up forward. I'm hopeful that he will surprise the non-believers.

I reckon this is the way to go, but if we have Reid as the only tall target forward at the centre bounce, I'm not sure. But I like the idea that once the balls cleared from the centre, Cox runs forward and Grundy rolls up onto opposition ruck. Not sure if Grundy is played offensively from back of square in that context. Worth discussing.

Also thanks Freo for Clement and giving Tarrant back.....oh and for Chris Mayne just to make sure it's all even now.

It was all going so well until "that" happened.

Did someone mention that he might be working with the defensive group this preseason?

I was trying to skirt around that particular point and hope others would connect the dots, but thanks it might have taken a while without your input

Your arrogance is noted.

Others full well understand your position but not necessaarily agree. Time will tell with Cox. Some are more bullish on him them others. No need for your contempt of others.

I reckon this is the way to go, but if we have Reid as the only tall target forward at the centre bounce, I'm not sure. But I like the idea that once the balls cleared from the centre, Cox runs forward and Grundy rolls up onto opposition ruck. Not sure if Grundy is played offensively from back of square in that context. Worth discussing.

In this scenario (which I too would like to see us try) I would have Grundy in the fwd line at the bounce- either as CHF or 3rd tall.
I dont see what purpose having Grundy coming off the backline provides. He's not capable of defending any of their forwards, nor is he of particularly much use as the loose man up running through on the overlap - the opposition can just ignore him in that role.

Up forward however he will need to be respected and the changeover of him and Cox could cause challenges for the opposition ruck/defenders.

Its funny isnt it, a key forward hasn't dominated a grand final in years. Sadly, it was prob 2011, when Reid's injury & Mick's stubborness turned the game. The pace is so fast and the defence so desperate that KPP's often seem to fall behind the tempo of the game. I like the idea of Cox, Grundy and Reid on the ground at the same time, but I do wonder how they would go on the big dance, or against a really quick side. Time will tell.

By the by... AFL web site just had fantastic 5 of Brett Burton.. Great player. . i reckon Will H E is very similar. Check the first 2 years highlights.. He took hangers and the game on like birdman.. My point is, I would love to see natural freaks like Will, Faz, Billy, Young Daics(hopefully) and Kirby be given some license to play football, take the game on, and as i said...bloody play footy!!! Like my teenage hero (i only moved to Melbourne in '81) Daicos Torpedo... One of the best, most incredible, and might i say, the Father of instinctive freak footballers from 1980 onwards...

Jolley's goals were mostly (but not all) running into the forward line, not leading out of it. Grundy has room to improve in this area, and given his approach to the game, I would expect him to do so. Give him credit for how far he has come as a ruckman, in quite a short time for a practicioner if that art. If he has not shown too much as a forward yet, don't assume he never will. His ability to bring the ball to ground, then follow up by getting the loose ball is extraordinary, and he has used this as a forward from time to time. His marking is better each year.
There is better yet to come. His time forward will depend on how much rest he needs, and whether it is judged best to give him that on the bench for a short time or up forward for a longer time in particular games. With both Cox and Moore likely to be available as his chop outs, a lot of flexibility is being built into our team.

Its 11:38.
I'm at the same bar as the pies boys at broadbeach.
Steele Sidebottom, take a bow. Magnificently pissed. Honourable mention to Adam Treloar going off taking the piss out of some Japanese bloke.

What do you think he's going to do with the piss from the Japanese bloke?

Its 11:38.
I'm at the same bar as the pies boys at broadbeach.
Steele Sidebottom, take a bow. Magnificently pissed. Honourable mention to Adam Treloar going off taking the piss out of some Japanese bloke.
No pictures? How disappointing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect a full training report tomorrow!
Will be in the herald sun a day later and the age two days later.

In the worst light too.

Sorry mate, i thought about it, but Adams and Maynard both gave me the evil eye, sort of "why is this guy staring at us?".

Did you become unexpectedly sick or cop a bad headache, maybe have a unexpected bad luck? If not, you didn’t get the evil eye, they just gave you a death stare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back