Traded McEvoy to the Hawks, Savage and 1st Round pick to St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

so people know this is how the trade can be summarised and looked on:

OUT: Ben McEvoy, Hartung (Pick 24), Pick 59 (Used on rookie elevation) IN: Shane Savage, Luke Dunstan (Pick 18), Blake Acres (Pick 19)

but this trade has some follow on effects, without trading out McEvoy we dont get Longer:
OUT: Dal Santo (Pick 25 compo), Jake Kolodjashnij (Pick 41 Given to GFC) IN: Longer, Pick 48 (traded out see below)

Sending Dal Santo to Norf allowed us to get Delaney and the pick 25 compo. The pick that came back from brisbane got us bruce:
OUT: Pick 48 (Not used) IN: Bruce
OUT: Pick 77 (Not used) IN: Delaney

The whole thing can be summed up as follows
OUT: Ben McEvoy, Dal Santo (Pick 25 compo), Hartung (Pick 24), Jake Kolodjashnij (Pick 41 Given to GFC), Pick 59 (Used on rookie elevation), Pick 77 (Not Used)
IN: Billy Longer, Josh Bruce, Shane Savage, Delaney, Luke Dunstan (Pick 18), Blake Acres (Pick 19)

McEvoy -> Billy Longer
Dal Santo -> Josh Bruce
Hartung -> Shane Savage
Jake Kolodjashnij -> Luke Delaney
Pick 59 (Rookie Elevation) -> Luke Dunstan
Pick 77 (Not Used) -> Blake Acres

there wouldnt be a side out there that wouldnt do that in trade week

Sav has been good for the Saints, and I'm happy to see him doing well, but if he was still at Hawthorn I don't think he would be getting a regular game
McEvoy has been patchy for us, but of course already has a Premiership medallion after his first season here
He will become more vital to us from next year on, as Hale retires, and he understands more about our game style

Throw in the draft picks swapped, and it's your classic win/win I reckon
Ruckman is probably the hardest and most important feild of play for a player to develop to. McEvoy is a great Ruckman , marks around the ground and genuinly can tap , but Ryder out jumped him a few times , if he timed himself a bit better (which he will do) that split second delay against Ryder would pay off he got the tap but put it the wrong way. That is all about learning.He is in his window of prime ruckman status.
Ceglar is also great , and although looks awkward sometimes he is a student of his game amd is dynamite when he's on, but big big brutes he finds hard to tackle always needs a big fellow with him to give him rest. As I said Friday night I thought we should have had another true ruckman , whether there was one available I don't know, Ceglar was injured.
I'm really happy for Savage, I loved him at the Hawks , but there are so many of his type at Hawthorn , you may be right he wouldn't get a game.

Have a look at the trio that always opens your eyes, Kennedy , McGlyn, Savage, all moved on, for Savage, I think he will be a main stay for the Saints in their resurgence.

I hope some of these traditional clubs start coming to the for front , if not we have trouble with our games future , not that the AFL haven't helped that failure along, over the last few years.

Ruckman is probably the hardest and most important feild of play for a player to develop to. McEvoy is a great Ruckman , marks around the ground and genuinly can tap , but Ryder out jumped him a few times , if he timed himself a bit better (which he will do) that split second delay against Ryder would pay off he got the tap but put it the wrong way. That is all about learning.He is in his window of prime ruckman status.
Ceglar is also great , and although looks awkward sometimes he is a student of his game amd is dynamite when he's on, but big big brutes he finds hard to tackle always needs a big fellow with him to give him rest. As I said Friday night I thought we should have had another true ruckman , whether there was one available I don't know, Ceglar was injured.
I'm really happy for Savage, I loved him at the Hawks , but there are so many of his type at Hawthorn , you may be right he wouldn't get a game.

Have a look at the trio that always opens your eyes, Kennedy , McGlyn, Savage, all moved on, for Savage, I think he will be a main stay for the Saints in their resurgence.

I hope some of these traditional clubs start coming to the for front , if not we have trouble with our games future , not that the AFL haven't helped that failure along, over the last few years.
I don't think great means what you think it means...

He's an average ruck at best.

Reckon Defacto sums it up:
OUT: Ben McEvoy, Dal Santo (Pick 25 compo), Hartung (Pick 24), Jake Kolodjashnij (Pick 41 Given to GFC), Pick 59 (Used on rookie elevation), Pick 77 (Not Used)
IN: Billy Longer, Josh Bruce, Shane Savage, Delaney, Luke Dunstan (Pick 18), Blake Acres (Pick 19)

McEvoy -> Billy Longer
Dal Santo -> Josh Bruce
Hartung -> Shane Savage

Why have you brought in Kolodjashnij/hartung in it? simply it was picks, you can't suddenly go "pick 24 was better then Savage because its now X player"

What do you mean? When clubs trade they would trade thinking of what player they can get for the pick. Only on bigfooty is pick 24 the same every year. I.e "he is worth a early second rounder". A recruitment team would say who do we rank between 16-24 on prospects at this draft then make a call on a trade. That being said players picked are valid IMO.

Why have you brought in Kolodjashnij/hartung in it? simply it was picks, you can't suddenly go "pick 24 was better then Savage because its now X player"

its basically an easy way to show what we gave up. i could have grouped in the players we could have selected there in that range but the list would be too long. it basically gives you an indication on the cost

we were into hartung from what i re-call as well

If you could somehow swap Delaney for Jake Kolo that would become the trade of the century (throwaway line).

so people know this is how the trade can be summarised and looked on:

OUT: Ben McEvoy, Hartung (Pick 24), Pick 59 (Used on rookie elevation) IN: Shane Savage, Luke Dunstan (Pick 18), Blake Acres (Pick 19)

but this trade has some follow on effects, without trading out McEvoy we dont get Longer:
OUT: Dal Santo (Pick 25 compo), Jake Kolodjashnij (Pick 41 Given to GFC) IN: Longer, Pick 48 (traded out see below)

Sending Dal Santo to Norf allowed us to get Delaney and the pick 25 compo. The pick that came back from brisbane got us bruce:
OUT: Pick 48 (Not used) IN: Bruce
OUT: Pick 77 (Not used) IN: Delaney

McEvoy -> Billy Longer
Dal Santo -> Josh Bruce
Hartung -> Shane Savage

Nah, that's more just summing up your trade period. Looks like you could have gotten Bruce and Delaney even if this trade didn't go through.

Nah, that's more just summing up your trade period. Looks like you could have gotten Bruce and Delaney even if this trade didn't go through.
Costs would've been different though, without the Longer trade Bruce would've cost pick 41 (possibly 25 which GWS did push for) and moving Big Ben also gave us the picks and need for Longer. Letting Dal go gave us the pick for the 19-25+59 trade (a deal surely created by the McEvoy trade) as well as giving North incentive to trade Delaney on the cheap.

The McEvoy trade was the catalyst for pretty much all our deals.

I don't think great means what you think it means...

He's an average ruck at best.
Well maybe now. But being average in the ruck at the elite level takes something very special and a tank as big as the one on a giant aircraft carrier.
I'm not real sure what great means , except maybe I've seen him put in great games. And so has Nic Natinui, and Krueser, Paddy Ryder is an explosion waiting to happen every week , but it doesn't happen that often. they have to aim for Cox standard , that bloke could play football if the goals were at each end of the Sahara desert, he could run all day .Its a real hard gig.

Well maybe now. But being average in the ruck at the elite level takes something very special and a tank as big as the one on a giant aircraft carrier.
I'm not real sure what great means , except maybe I've seen him put in great games. And so has Nic Natinui, and Krueser, Paddy Ryder is an explosion waiting to happen every week , but it doesn't happen that often. they have to aim for Cox standard , that bloke could play football if the goals were at each end of the Sahara desert, he could run all day .Its a real hard gig.
No one is denying its a hard gig, but McEcoy is not good compared to other rucks in the AFL, could name close to a dozen better than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back