Melbourne Legend Robert Flower passes away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the bump. This was the only relevant thread on Rob.

For those who never saw him play, just how good was he?
Are there any player's in the game today who were comparable?

Shame he couldn't be around to see the GF. Hope Melbourne can win one for him and the others who have toiled so hard for 57 years.

Those long suffering supporters too. They dare not dream.

Superb on both sides of his body by hand or foot, supreme judge of space, was fantastic overhead without being a real high flyer, quick without being in the top echelon of pace and as courageous and fair as any that have played. However in my view where he truly excelled was in being able to gauge the trajectory and bounce of a football. I've not seen better on that front. I can't say who plays like him today, Australian football, at least in the AFL, isn't played the way he played it any more.

I can’t think of a comparable player since Flower. He is not exactly like him but Peter Matera is probably the most comparable player I can think of.

Flower was as skinny as a rake, but very fast, one grab player, great overhead, incredibly good evasive skills and superb disposal skills both sides of the body hand and foot. Also appeared a great team man. Definitely the most graceful mover I have ever seen on a footy field.

Superb on both sides of his body by hand or foot, supreme judge of space, was fantastic overhead without being a real high flyer, quick without being in the top echelon of pace and as courageous and fair as any that have played. However in my view where he truly excelled was in being able to gauge the trajectory and bounce of a football. I've not seen better on that front. I can't say who plays like him today, Australian football, at least in the AFL, isn't played the way he played it any more.

It's a shame he featured in only three finals matches. They were the very last games of his career. Booted 9 goals as well.

I can’t think of a comparable player since Flower. He is not exactly like him but Peter Matera is probably the most comparable player I can think of.

Flower was as skinny as a rake, but very fast, one grab player, great overhead, incredibly good evasive skills and superb disposal skills both sides of the body hand and foot. Also appeared a great team man. Definitely the most graceful mover I have ever seen on a footy field.
I’ll add he was incredibly humble

Best way I can explain it was one day at the Western oval in the 80’s we had a free about 50 odd out. I’m sitting right behind the goals wearing my number 2. A half a dozen big men are in the goal square. Almost unnoticed Flower moves behind them all. On the fence between the right goal and point post. I can almost touch him. As the ball is kicked he begins a slow run up behind the pack, and I knew - knew- it was his. And sure enough that skinny had no right to be on the football field player had soared between those players that were much taller and heavier than him to take a screamer in the goal square.
And he did things like that week in week out for 272 games.
I can’t think of a comparison in today’s players. Maybe peak Pendles for that ability to slow down time, but it’s more than that too. He just knew where the ball was going to be a second before anyone else and knew what the opposition players were going to do before they did.
Everything he did was pure silk.

Somewhere between Pendles, Mercuri and Yze I'd say. But I was pretty young when I saw him. (Grandfather was a die hard Melbourne fan)

In an era where stats were not really a thing to back this up but I would suggest he was one of the best (most effective) two sided players to play the game, beautiful to watch and as fair as the day is long.
yeah i think this best sums Flower up for those wanting to know what he was like as a player.
its pretty hard to name a player of similar ilk playing today because Flower wouldnt of got wet in the shower he was that slight
i think its fair to say that Peter Matera was the last wingmen to have some similar traits to Flower,not saying he was or wasnt better its not the point
he Matera definitely played in more skillful sides,theres certainly nobody around today that reminds you of Flower
the 4 most gifted,balanced,graceful,eye catching and corageous wingmen in my 44 years of watching Australian rules have been in no particular order,
Flower,Greig,Hawkins & Matera with Milane not too far behind tho he obviously wasnt as eye catching,graceful etc, his,Milanes balance and courage was second to none.
FWIW Wayne Schimmelbusch i consider the most devastating wingman in my time of watching

yeah i think this best sums Flower up for those wanting to know what he was like as a player.
its pretty hard to name a player of similar ilk playing today because Flower wouldnt of got wet in the shower he was that slight
i think its fair to say that Peter Matera was the last wingmen to have some similar traits to Flower,not saying he was or wasnt better its not the point
he Matera definitely played in more skillful sides,theres certainly nobody around today that reminds you of Flower
the 4 most gifted,balanced,graceful,eye catching and corageous wingmen in my 44 years of watching Australian rules have been in no particular order,
Flower,Greig,Hawkins & Matera with Milane not too far behind tho he obviously wasnt as eye catching,graceful etc, his,Milanes balance and courage was second to none.
FWIW Wayne Schimmelbusch i consider the most devastating wingman in my time of watching
Flower and Grieg were similar in my view

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As great a footballer he was, it didn't translate into the musical sphere

In Matthew Hardy's book Saturday Afternoon Fever, he noted he used to run into Robbie's sports shop at Forest Hill Shopping Centre, sing Macho Man and run out. I used to go into his shop but never had the balls to sing Macho Man at him. Was always a thrill to see him when he was in there though.

player.
We have a few on our board that can see a few similarities in Will Day to the great Robbie Flower. We can only dream that we can have a player who can replicate one of the games greats.

its been a long time btwn drinks since footy fans have been treated to the sight of pure artistic wingmen like Flower or Greig
i enjoy watching the wing craft of Ed Langdon in todays game,hes outta the old mould of wingers,lets hope a few more can come on

No one really close. In the SANFL Micheal Aish was of a similar build, had wonderful skills and pace, with outstanding courage. Flower played in a bog average Melbourne side - but you would watch them if you had the chance just to see Flower do the incredible.

Here is some vision of Aish demonstrating similar balance to what Flower would do regularly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back