Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be the worst year to have a top pick. If you can’t watch the top players perform how can you then determine who exactly ranks higher than others?

trying to move the discussion? How? It’s going to be the worst year for drafting all the way through, including the top.
As per Twomey’s article, the recruiters have been watching these kids since U16’s. Often times, earlier.

They’ll already have their rankings going in to the season.

Yes, they can’t watch and adjust their rankings through the year.

And as has been discussed on the draft board, recruiters have been watching the players during the preseason, especially the recent trial games.

As per Twomey’s article, the recruiters have been watching these kids since U16’s. Often times, earlier.

They’ll already have their rankings going in to the season.

Yes, they can’t watch and adjust their rankings through the year.

And as has been discussed on the draft board, recruiters have been watching the players during the preseason, especially the recent trial games.
Of course they have. But if they can’t watch them this year it’ll be the worst year to have a top pick.

Example last year Luke Jackson jumped up the rankings after dominating the carnival. The clubs this year won’t get to see those players.

do you think this is going to be the best year to have a top pick?

It will be the worst year to have a top pick. If you can’t watch the top players perform how can you then determine who exactly ranks higher than others?

trying to move the discussion? How? It’s going to be the worst year for drafting all the way through, including the top.
You keep clutching at those straws. The top end will be fine - especially if you finish 2nd last again.

You keep clutching at those straws. The top end will be fine - especially if you finish 2nd last again.
What straws? Did I say the top end won’t be fine?

did you want to make that bet or not?

My bad - Dec 2016

Just a note. That list is in alphabetical order, so it’s not a ranking. And of course Worpel is last in a list done alphabetically.

I’m pretty sure Knightmare rated Worpel higher than Twomey at that stage.

I remember Twomey and others who talk to recruiters saying Worpel wasn’t rated as high as some of the other inside mids who had less exposed form.

I was involved in a private discussion with a Fox Sports reporter before the 2017 U18 season started, and was told watch out for Cerra and LDU, and that recruiters rated them higher than Worpel.

And I was the number 1 Worpel cheer leader on the Lions board, so there’s no anti Worpel bias here.

Of course they haveBut if they can’t watch them this year it’ll be the worst year to have a top pick.

Example last year Luke Jackson jumped up the rankings after dominating the carnival. The clubs this year won’t get to see those players.

do you think this is going to be the best year to have a top pick?
Its not a disaster you are making it out to be.

Jackson was rated in the top 10 prospects for 2019 in November 2018!! By Cal Twomey....

Along with Rowell, Anderson, Serong & Young who all went top 10.

My bad - Dec 2016

You realise Worpel is on that list?

11 out of that top 20 didn’t make the top 20. I reckon the recruiters wouldn’t mind having a good look at the talent this year before selecting them.

Just a note. That list is in alphabetical order, so it’s not a ranking. And of course Worpel is last in a list done alphabetically.

I’m pretty sure Knightmare rated Worpel higher than Twomey at that stage.

I remember Twomey and others who talk to recruiters saying Worpel wasn’t rated as high as some of the other inside mids who had less exposed form.

I was involved in a private discussion with a Fox Sports reporter before the 2017 U18 season started, and was told watch out for Cerra and LDU, and that recruiters rated them higher than Worpel.

And I was the number 1 Worpel cheer leader on the Lions board, so there’s no anti Worpel bias here.

I don't know where others rated Worpel, but I had him to open the 2017 season at 10 in my rankings:

Was a beast in his underage year and nothing changed in his draft year.

Everyone knew a long way out before that 2017 draft how good Worpel was.

Due to a relative lack of improvement in his draft year and a body so strong that suggested that after a few years in the AFL system he will plateau, and I get the sense he remains largely as he was last year unless Hawthorn's freakishly great development program finds a way of adding more to his game whether it's versatility/forward craft/scoreboard impact or something else. Needless to say Worpel has far exceeded my projections (his kicking was always penetrating but inconsistent as a junior) and would have to be in that top-10 from his draft on review.

A definite improvement from 23 where I had Worpel on draft day on my own draft board. Sliding to 45 I felt was always a head scratcher because he was so well performed and had a plug and play game that already was AFL standard at the time of the draft. Too often there are mids like Worpel who slide into the 30s and 40s when really they should be either first or early second rounders at worst.

A lot changed with that 2017 draft, with a lot of those guys who did well as underagers not improving enough in their draft year and others breaking through. Sometimes you get a bit of that, sometimes a lot of that.

Interesting that before the 2017 season in April KM had

1. Brander
2. Fogarty
3. Hayes
4. Ballenden
5. Balta
6. Coleman-Jones

Not one got selected in the top 10.

After watching the season he’s opinion had changed by November

1. Rayner
2. Davies-Uniacke
3. Cerra
4. Dow
5. Fogarty

I’m sure Briztoon you’d be happy the Brisbane recruiters got to see the 2017 u18 season and selected Rayner at number 1 instead of selecting Brander based off what they saw at u16 level.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really are a clueless potato, Pickett wasn't a reach and he's earned his debut.

The amount of stupidity that comes out of you is staggering.
The fear is strong in this one

just pray the season doesn’t get cancelled and we pocket your pick 2
/even if it goes ahead you’ll be bottom 4 anyway

little wins

The fear is strong in this one

just pray the season doesn’t get cancelled and we pocket your pick 2
/even if it goes ahead you’ll be bottom 4 anyway

little wins
The fear lol. Melbourne have their players while North have a pick with no under 18 Comp this year.

Is there seriously any debate that 2020 is looking like the worst year to have high draft picks?

Common sense guys.
Less information to work with, higher variability in rankings. The recruiters will really earn their money this season.
Yeah how someone like Max King ever went at pick 4 after sitting out his draft year is mind bottling. Like when thoughts get trapped in a bottle...

Yeah how someone like Max King ever went at pick 4 after sitting out his draft year is mind bottling. Like when thoughts get trapped in a bottle...
There’s no doubt recruiters have a tough gig in front of them. There’s a possibility there’ll be no junior footy. Possibly not even match sim. Can these guys train as a team? I doubt it.

If our recruiters can’t find a player better than Pickett they should be sacked

It shouldn’t be hard to do
The fear is strong in this. Pressure on North

If our recruiters can’t find a player better than Pickett they should be sacked

It shouldn’t be hard to do

Given that you're stupidly writing off a kid before his debut I imagine you'd want Luke Davies-Uniacke fired out of a cannon into the ocean given that he's played two years and been crap?

Back