Autopsy Not quite enough. Pies fall 105-77 - Rd 19, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further, upon watching the replay... when Mihocek hurt his ankle, it appeared to my ageing eyes that a Richmond player went out of his way to step on his foot to prevent him getting to the marking duel. Can anyone confirm or bust this myth?
Nonetheless, I think the Tigers' scragging tactics are pretty clear but i guess team's play in the image of their coach. Hardwick was Sheedy's go-to defensive scragger back in the 90s, if memory serves.
A wide-ranging debate about the merits of such tactics would seem timely! They are No.1 in free kicks against for a reason. It's Clarkson's unsociable football all over again.

When WHE took a mark in the goal square the replay showed Rance with both his hands around Masons chest and tackling him. Yet the ump paid nothing even though he was looking right at it.

When WHE took a mark in the goal square the replay showed Rance with both his hands around Masons chest and tackling him. Yet the ump paid nothing even though he was looking right at it.
That was painfully obvious on the replay wasn't it? Certainly seems to be a tactic of theirs. Cox cops that every week just because of the threat he presents. He tends to pluck most of the ones that he isn't completely impeded upon

That was painfully obvious on the replay wasn't it? Certainly seems to be a tactic of theirs. Cox cops that every week just because of the threat he presents. He tends to pluck most of the ones that he isn't completely impeded upon

Very obvious. Yet I watched North yesterday and Brown gets paid softer free kicks then that. Although he does throw his arms in the air to milk it.

Very obvious. Yet I watched North yesterday and Brown gets paid softer free kicks then that. Although he does throw his arms in the air to milk it.
Need Coxy to spend the week working on his best impression of a wacky inflatable tube man.

In all seriousness though he does need to watch how Brown reacts to it.

I hate singling out one player, but I think Murray could have spoilt 3-4 marks, and saved us 3-4 goals. Just a small sample size, watch the highlights package for the game, and you would see that his inability to spoil cost 2 goals. I remember at least one more at the game. It’s almost like he mistimes his jump.

I didn't see an issue with this, annoying as it was. I looked for about 10 mins and couldn't find anything in any definition or rule which prohibited what he did, here it is for anyone else who can be bothered.

http://sydneyafl.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/2018-Laws-of-the-Game.pdf

If he threw it straight up and kicked it from where he threw ie gained no lateral territory then it would be legal disposal and no different to those who do it tackles.

But he double handed tossed it up and over "weighting" it so he could gain a better angle when attempting his trick kick. The throw it self gained him territory this changes it from a "ball drop" to throw but instead of retaking possession he kicks.

Was it brilliant and smart play ? 100%yes, was it legal disposal? hell no.

If he threw it straight up and kicked it from where he threw ie gained no lateral territory then it would be legal disposal and no different to those who do it tackles.

But he double handed tossed it up and over "weighting" it so he could gain a better angle when attempting his trick kick. The throw it self gained him territory this changes it from a "ball drop" to throw but instead of retaking possession he kicks.

Was it brilliant and smart play ? 100%yes, was it legal disposal? hell no.
I couldn't find that anywhere in the rules. I just assumed that he would have been judged to still be in possession while the ball was in the air, so could have been tackled. If a tackle on him would have been illegal, then it must be a throw. Thats what makes sense to me anyway

I couldn't find that anywhere in the rules. I just assumed that he would have been judged to still be in possession while the ball was in the air, so could have been tackled. If a tackle on him would have been illegal, then it must be a throw. Thats what makes sense to me anyway

Are you basing that off the rule when you hand ball to yourself, while ball is in air, you are considered "in possession" so if tackled its ball?

Firstly handballing is a legal disposal method.

Secondly the rule was written for the purpose of tackling clarification.

So in this instance a double handed throw up and sideways past a post should have had a whistle for throw before retaking possesion with his foot.

If you want to find the rule it is in the section about Legal disposal.

15.3 FREE KICKS RELATING TO DISPOSAL OF THE FOOTBALL
15.3.1 Correct Disposal
A Player Correctly Disposes of the football if he or she Kicks or Handballs the football.
15.3.2 Incorrect Disposal and Payment of Free Kick
When the football is in play, a Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who hands the football to another Player or throws the football.

Or *throws the football*, no qualifiers just a full stop.

Are you basing that off the rule when you hand ball to yourself, while ball is in air, you are considered "in possession" so if tackled its ball?

So in this instance a double handed throw up and sideways past a post should have had a whistle for throw before retaking possesion with his foot.

15.3.1 Correct Disposal
A Player Correctly Disposes of the football if he or she Kicks or Handballs the football.
When the football is in play, a Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who hands the football to another Player or throws the football.

Basing it off the fact that you can tackle someone who is in the motion of kicking while they aren't technically in contact with the ball. Anyway, you could be right. The definition of a throw:

Throw: shall be given its ordinary meaning, but also includes the act of propelling the football with one or both hands in a scooping motion. [Irrelevent section omitted]
You're probably right actually, but I never knew that the ball can only be dropped onto the boot, feels like players propel it upwards all the time when being held and trying to get a kick away.

Basing it off the fact that you can tackle someone who is in the motion of kicking while they aren't technically in contact with the ball. Anyway, you could be right. The definition of a throw:

Throw: shall be given its ordinary meaning, but also includes the act of propelling the football with one or both hands in a scooping motion. [Irrelevent section omitted]
You're probably right actually, but I never knew that the ball can only be dropped onto the boot, feels like players propel it upwards all the time when being held and trying to get a kick away.

Yeah either way it will go down in the history books as a goal. No denying it was a spectacular effort and very smart bit of play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to see Varcoe strike again.

Prestia with a cracked rib.
Jesus this is quite a s**t post, and those liking it aren’t any better.

Love seeing players play hard, but never like to see anyone hurt. Can commend Varcoe’s toughness at that particular contest but to celebrate or glorify another player’s injury out of that same contest is the lowest of form.

15.3.1 Correct Disposal

Technically any juggled mark is a throw. Any kick where you drop the ball onto your foot is a throw.
You're splitting hairs on a bald man.
He never lost possession.

The rule specifically applies to disposal.
He did not at any time attempt to dispose of the ball.

Apart form the "was it legal" goal, our very young side got to experience the closest thing to a GF available in the H&A season. Add that to the ANZAC and QB matches and this can only benefit the side next season, hopefully even this season.

Please forgive the intrusion guys. Came here to read what you thought of the game and I have to say I agree with a lot of the comments. Collingwood are a very, very good side. Your midfield is superb and Grundy should win the Brownlow. The Howe injury was pivotal. With a bit of luck with injuries, you could go very close to winning the flag this year.

Best of luck for the rest of the season and best wishes to Matt Scharenberg.

Dave P.

Love seeing players play hard, but never like to see anyone hurt. Can commend Varcoe’s toughness at that particular contest but to celebrate or glorify another player’s injury out of that same contest is the lowest of form.

I don't like seeing anyone get hurt. But when Richmond fans are constantly mocking us for complaining about our injuries, I hope they're spooking about this one.

I don't like seeing anyone get hurt. But when Richmond fans are constantly mocking us for complaining about our injuries, I hope they're spooking about this one.
Doesn’t justify it.

TW Sherrin is usually a good poster and comes across a reasonable person so I’ll take it that the intent of the post wasn’t as it came across, and that he was commending Varcoe’s hardness (it was a ripper bump) rather than wishing ill on Prestia, who as far as I remember has never done anything untoward in games against Collingwood, or even his career.

I hate singling out one player, but I think Murray could have spoilt 3-4 marks, and saved us 3-4 goals. Just a small sample size, watch the highlights package for the game, and you would see that his inability to spoil cost 2 goals. I remember at least one more at the game. It’s almost like he mistimes his jump.

I'd consider sending Varcoe back and bringing in Aish at Murray's expense. I don't want to skewer Murray because he is still learning the craft and developing. But I thought he was poor. Perhaps leave him in one more game and see how he goes with the motivation of his old team. But he'd be close to being dropped.

I liked the post because anything positive about the velvet sledgehammer is good in my books. Not celebrating an injury, but I do like Varcoe smashing blokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back