Autopsy Not quite enough. Pies fall 105-77 - Rd 19, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greenwood played on Martin down back before Howe and Scharenberg went down.

I'm pretty sure we had Shaz on Dusty when he went forward. Greenwood I think had him once when forward before Shaz went down. I imagine that was because he got dragged there from midfield as opposed to our chosen plan.

Lol Higgins even admitted in onfield post match interview he thought it was a throw but will take it.

You can't throw the ball up and around a post then kick it in 2 separate actions. But I guess there is some grey area there too. oh well it was some smart bit of play.
I didn't see an issue with this, annoying as it was. I looked for about 10 mins and couldn't find anything in any definition or rule which prohibited what he did, here it is for anyone else who can be bothered.

http://sydneyafl.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/2018-Laws-of-the-Game.pdf

What a uninformed post you quoted. Good response by you mate. Well the pies were only missing Treloar, Dunn, degoey, elliot, Aish, Fasolo, Goldsack, Reid. not to mention Scharenberg. That is superstars in Treloar, degoey plus a heap of key structural players. Wonder how Richmond would fare without Martin, Cotchin and rance. You guys are still top 4 material mAke no mistake I watched your team live

Thank you, sir. I’m tipping an eagles Pies granny. I think you guys are the best team going at the minute and I think we’ll be playing off for it in 2018.

I thought it was a throw until I read this post.
Not sure how you could possibly regard throwing the ball up in the air, running around the post and then kicking it as ‘one action’.

Not sure how you could possibly regard throwing the ball up in the air, running around the post and then kicking it as ‘one action’.
Ok it was a throw then.
I'm bloody confused.
Different posters are making valid arguments for both cases.
Trust you to start an argument with me you waterfall hating such and such.

Sunday afternoon hugs.

You are allowed to throw the ball to yourself eg like a bounce.

Or the Bont in 2016 :rolleyes:

It was a throw.

I don't really care about this one. It was split second, it was innovative and exciting, the umps were never gonna call it
BUT
The constant pushing and interfering with the runups of marking players HAS got to stop!
Howe was seriously injured yesterday not by accident but by GUTLESS, premeditated pushing. The pushing by players of their opponents into packs both in the air and on the ground (look for it next game, it goes on all the time) has to be abolished.
Someone will get killed if they keep doing it.

Use the video review, spot the players doing it and send them to the MRP.
And don't try to tell me its been going on forever, if a bloke did that sort of gutless act years ago he would have been dealt with straight away by team mates OR at the very least he would have been called out by the crowd and the commentators. Nowadays they're lauded...."Wonderful roving by Costagna"....my bum it was!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really care about this one. It was split second, it was innovative and exciting, the umps were never gonna call it
BUT
The constant pushing and interfering with the runups of marking players HAS got to stop!
Howe was seriously injured yesterday not by accident but by GUTLESS, premeditated pushing. The pushing by players of their opponents into packs both in the air and on the ground (look for it next game, it goes on all the time) has to be abolished.
Someone will get killed if they keep doing it.

Use the video review, spot the players doing it and send them to the MRP.
And don't try to tell me its been going on forever, if a bloke did that sort of gutless act years ago he would have been dealt with straight away by team mates OR at the very least he would have been called out by the crowd and the commentators. Nowadays they're lauded...."Wonderful roving by Costagna"....my bum it was!
I agree. They scragged us all day off the contest. Hopefully the club make some inquiries this week and it is reversed when we meet again in September.

I agree. They scragged us all day off the contest. Hopefully the club make some inquiries this week and it is reversed when we meet again in September.

It appears to be part of their game plan. They push people into contests so that they outnumber sides when the ball pops out. Dimmer's a smart guy and it obviously works as a tactic. BUT tactics that injure other players MUST be stopped. Other sides use it too (Hurley and Hooker do it a bit, Fantasia as well....Papley at the Swans does it too) but sooner or later they'll push someone into an ongoing pack and a neck or spine will be broken. It's not accidental, its a gutless act.

So why aren't the "powers that be" doing something about this gutless practice?
Its pretty obvious....does it take a serious injury to get the media to call it out?

Buckley's Press Conference:

What's the overwhelming feeling out of that? Pride, frustration, disappointment etc.
"Bit of both; all of that. We love our effort....[video cut off]... That's the thing you're proud of and we're proud of. We got beaten on the day, but we didn't our lower colours. We'll learn a little bit out of that, that we can take with us".

Was there a tipping point with how many defenders you lost in one game?
"It wasn't easy. It made it difficult because it didn't only affect only our back six or seven, but it affected some of the other things that were working for us. It was a challenge upstairs and it was clearly a challenge on the field and one that we were ultimately weren't able to find answers to in the timeframe we had, but there's plenty to take from that game for us".

Would you like to play them again?
"Yep. Yep".

What's the latest on Scharenberg?
"We fear the worst, which is shattering for him. That's the overwhelming feeling in the rooms at the moment which is disappointment for him and we're shattered for him. That will likely be confirmed by the scans that it's an ACL injury, which for a young member of our club and of our playing group who's had his fair share of setbacks and obstacles. His attitude is first class, his character is first class and we'll put our arms around him and try to support him as best as we can".

It seemed pretty innocuous when he sustained the injury battling Dustin Martin?
"Yeah, they mostly do".

How shattering was that for the group [mentally] when Scharenberg went down and it must have had an impact?
"You would have to ask the players, but I would suggest it does. There's plenty of things; Howie getting knocked out. There's clearly things that challenge your psyche. You can throw whatever you like at our group, they will find a way to respond positively, to stand up and find a reason to continue to fight. That was there and that was evident today so we haven't lost anything in that regard".

With every challenge then, does your belief in the group continue to grow with the way they never throw in the towel?
"Yeah, and we had belief before anyone else understood what it was I suppose. You need to demonstrate it and we've continued to demonstrate it and it's a part of us now. It's not something we're aspiring to, it is who we are. The challenges will keep coming for us and you've got to keep rising to that challenge and we're looking forward to what's to come".

In the last few weeks and again today, you've lost some significant players, but you keep coming back with not only your effort, but also the system that you're showing. I guess today shows that the system keeps working regardless of who's in the side?
"Yeah, I don't think we were particularly clean today. It doesn't really matter what system you've got in play or what tactics you're trying to impose on the opposition, you've still got to do the basics really well. I don't think we were quite as sharp today. You can say it's across the board and you can say it's isolated, but I really do think that even our more talented/better players weren't quite as clean today as we can be, so there's still growth in that for us. I think when you're clean inside against a side like Richmond who you need to be clean inside when they put such good pressure on. Having said that, I thought our pressure was pretty strong off the back of pretty good system but we just need to get the basics right more often".

Are the basics your contested work? You did well with your contested work?
"Yeah, our contest, our clearance, our ground ball. Richmond are the best ground ball team in the competition. I think they won by a couple after winning the last quarter pretty convincingly. We weren't bad".

Is Jeremy Howe's injury concussion?
"Yep. He lost his vision. He couldn't read the scoreboard and that was enough for the docs to make the call. It was a pretty big hit".

Brody Mihocek came off for a while. Did he have to come back on by necessity?
"No, bit of an ankle. He would have come back and played regardless. He wasn't 100% after that, but not many players that start the game fit finish it at 100%. He clearly had an incident with his ankle that we'll need to get right".

Dunn and now Scharenberg will be out in the long-term, how much of a bonus would it be if you can manage to get Goldsack back?
"There's still a lot of ifs that we really can't be sure of or we can't be clear about. There's still a few fair boys that aren't in the side at the moment on the list that continue to fight for their opportunity to contribute and Goldy is one of those. It is still something we're being pretty positive about and we're looking at the opportunity and Goldy is really bullish and he's training really well. We will continue to make prudent decisions based on the information that we've got. There's always some risk associated with any returned player, but we'll trust our docs and we'll trust the work that we're seeing Goldy do. If he becomes another one of the panel that can fight the fight for us we'd enjoy that".

It might be an obvious response, but how is Matt [Scharenberg]?
"Yeah, his family are over. He's shattered. He's a young bloke who loves his footy. He's been through his fair share with his feet firstly and then his ACLs. These last 12 months, he's been actually able to play quite a bit of footy and shown more than glimpses of the ability that we know he has. There's not a lot of light at the end of the tunnel right now for him. He's shattered; he's not in a great spot".

At 3QT you're two down on the bench going against a team who finishes well. Did you think you could win, or were you hoping you could at that stage?
"No, our belief was pretty strong. We thought we could win the game. There was a bit of their surge staff, not quite as clean, and they went bang bang bang early in the last quarter. We struggled to finish the game the way we would have liked to and against a good side that's what you get. I think the weight of numbers just tolled against us ultimately today. We can argue that over the course of season, we've had weight of numbers for us and that will pay off in the long run".

What did you think of Jack Higgins' goal?
"I don't know the rule. Is it a throw? Can you follow that up for me Rog? It was clever".

What did you think of Greenwood's job on Martin?
"I think it was a strong performance. Obviously, Dusty is a good player and goes forward and wins some one on ones and probably should have kicked 4 in the end. That's the headache that every opposition coaching panel goes through when you look at a player like him. [He's] good through the midfield but clearly a really good one on one player in front of the ball. I thought Levi's first class. Asked to play a role, executes it to a tee. His head would be spinning though because we had him forward, mid and back in the last half just trying to rotate and manage game time so we could get through that second half as much as we can and it was ultimately to no avail. The players love him because he's so dedicated and so disciplined".

The Richmond defenders put a lot of work into Cox. What did you think of his performance?
"I think Mason went close to playing role. He was committed to the aerial contest. I think you're right that there was a lot of early work from their defenders on him. Some of it is part of the game. It's up to the umpires to adjudicate that. They won that contest on the day; the tall backs. We'll learn a little bit out of that. Some things we tried today were really effective and we'll milk those next time".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-07-28/bucks-reviews-loss-and-injuries

I thought it was a throw until I read this post.
I’d revise it.

He threw the ball to get around the goalpost, which was an obvious obstacle to the goals which he would have otherwise not been able to avoid it.

No different to throwing it up above an opponents head and then trying to get a boot to it. And in the latter instance it would clearly be deemed a throw.

Tap tap juggle and then propel it up so he could kick it, nice work and even I cheered it, but it’s a throw.
We’d laugh and cheer if Goey did so fair enough.
It will be this year's version of Ablett's mark. Looked great but the rules have been bent to make it legitimate. Dunno how I feel about suspect marks and goals winning the top awards.

I felt it was a pretty cynical piece of play that led to Howe concussion. Player (defensive forward?) preventing How from jumping at the contest and more or less pushing him into it, inadvertently leading to collision with Moore.
I mean I am not saying that the intention is to hurt the player but I feel this is one dangerous area of the game that is not policed well enough. The Tigers are obviously a fantastic all-round pressure side (it's their point of difference) but i feel they sail pretty close to the wind with a lot of these sorts of tactics.

Thoughts?

Further, upon watching the replay... when Mihocek hurt his ankle, it appeared to my ageing eyes that a Richmond player went out of his way to step on his foot to prevent him getting to the marking duel. Can anyone confirm or bust this myth?
Nonetheless, I think the Tigers' scragging tactics are pretty clear but i guess team's play in the image of their coach. Hardwick was Sheedy's go-to defensive scragger back in the 90s, if memory serves.
A wide-ranging debate about the merits of such tactics would seem timely! They are No.1 in free kicks against for a reason. It's Clarkson's unsociable football all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back