List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Darcy Lang traded to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Know zero about this bloke. SOS reckons he's had his eye on him for a while. Sees something?

Can someone give me a bit of a heads up? Be much appreciated.

You owe us for Smedts (my assessment of Billie is: all the talent in the world but refuses to pull his finger out and do the hard yards for some reason; delisted unless he does something amazing next year) and Touhy (my assessment of Zach is: hard as a cats head, and shockingly good 60m booming kick, doesnt take a backwards step, great bloke, please win him a premiership).
Reckon he can play. A natural mid. Needs continuous games into him. Watch this year's finals appearances.

Is hard to prove stuff cause it's so subjective but the closest is probably inside footy,
Imma stop you right there. Inside Footy is purely subjective, I don't care for it at all.

The best evaluations we have are Champion Data player rankings when weighted by age and position. They're still not great, but the best of a bad bunch.

Know zero about this bloke. SOS reckons he's had his eye on him for a while. Sees something?

He's a decent player, needs to be used in the midfield to get the most out of him because he's definitively proven to not be a forward. At Carlton I feel he'll probably be a bit of a bandaid while younger mids develop and eventually supplant him. Still has the potential to be something more than that, but it would need to be as an outside mid imo and I'm not sure you'll look to play him in that role.

He can look good at times BUT he lacks poise, time and space in tight, and thus makes bad decisions
and turns the ball over far to often.
Is that what you wanted to hear?

At times yes, but he looked perfectly fine in the final against Sydney.

If the argument is he didn't look up to it the following week fair enough, but he wasn't alone.

Start to finish disappointing. Was rated as maybe late 2nd or 3rd round pick and Wells jumped for him ... probably because he was a local. Seemed to always be used as a small pressure forward even though he never showed any talent as a forward.

He always looked super fit, I understand he is a high level character so I don't see Lang as having put a step wrong.

As mentioned this off season smells like we had to make adjustments for salary cap purposes, fair to assume the club did not forecast needing to pay Ablett.

I hope Lang plays well. I also hope Rory Sloane is a keen surfer in 2018.
It's easy to be a revisionist, but I could almost cry when I think of Matt Crouch going for pick #23 and Zach Merrett at pick #26 in the same draft.

Hopefully Wells starts to nail our first round draft picks. He's been way off in recent years... way off!

Free Agency has been been the saviour of our first rounders, enabling us to use them to their maximum advantage.

However, we won't get Dangers falling into our lap every year, so we've got to start making some of these early picks count.

Getting the feeling this deal has an element of good faith to it. We’ve dealt with Carlton a lot recently, and have come out on top in both the 2E and Henderson trades for mine.

Yup. Both trades were still win-win so Carlton happy to do it.

But 2E and Hendo were both bigger wins for you
Depends how you look at it. Hendo and 2E were never gonna be part of your next flag tilt. You got 1st rounders for both.
You weren't planning on playing finals for a number of years while we were/are.
Both (especially Henderson) haven't handled finals particularly well. I've got the feeling that Henderson won't in improve in that area either.

It seems he’s pretty polarising here.

The glass half full will say he hasn’t had a lot of opportunities, had two broken legs, needs more midfield time and he will show his class

The glass half empty (me) would say that he hasn’t got midfield time because he’s not good enough to force his way in. He’s shown some ability but only on very few occasions. He’s a limited player with no real standout traits.

At times yes, but he looked perfectly fine in the final against Sydney.

If the argument is he didn't look up to it the following week fair enough, but he wasn't alone.
I just find it strange that you will apply this logic to Lang but not say Menegola.

I just find it strange that you will apply this logic to Lang but not say Menegola.

My position's actually not dissimilar between the two. I think Menegola has clearly been more consistent, but you could argue Lang hasn't been played in midfield nearly enough.

I've been more critical of Menegola in finals as he's played three really poor ones in the last two years, and Lang has played one. Simple as that. If Lang had produced another one or two howlers he'd absolutely be just as liable. Anyway it doesn't matter anymore.

My position's actually not dissimilar between the two. I think Menegola has clearly been more consistent, but you could argue Lang hasn't been played in midfield nearly enough.

I've been more critical of Menegola in finals as he's played three really poor ones in the last two years, and Lang has played one. Simple as that. If Lang had produced another one or two howlers he'd absolutely be just as liable. Anyway it doesn't matter anymore.
Lang is lucky he hasn’t played more finals then. Because he’s exactly the type to have a stinker in a smashing.

He's been a square peg and we have round holes
Started well as a pressure half forward but faded as the opposition worked him out and he couldn't progress in a role not natural to him.
He's definitely a mid but injuries and others stepping up have limited his ability to shine in that role.
With the little genius returning he's far better off at the Blues - particularly if he stays within 2 metres of Cripps :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with lang gone, the 2013 draft is looking pretty average for geelong

lang gone
jansen gone
kolo average
walker gone
burbury gone

you wanna hope kolo takes a significant step up to the next level

even our rookies were no good toohey, bourke, bates and luxford all gone, i guess luxford gave us two memorable games

lang gone
jansen gone
kolo average
walker gone
burbury gone

even our rookies were no good toohey, bourke, bates and luxford all gone, i guess luxford gave us two memorable games

Excellent draft too, which makes it so much more frustrating.

We will use 58 and it will be more than a 4 spot upgrade next year as Carlton are likely bottom 4 without Gibbs.

Like Schache definitely wont be going for less than a top 10 pick? I can see us signing a DFA so we would then need two spots.

Haybill is as good as gone but would need another one.

It's easy to be a revisionist, but I could almost cry when I think of Matt Crouch going for pick #23 and Zach Merrett at pick #26 in the same draft.

Hopefully Wells starts to nail our first round draft picks. He's been way off in recent years... way off!

Free Agency has been been the saviour of our first rounders, enabling us to use them to their maximum advantage.

However, we won't get Dangers falling into our lap every year, so we've got to start making some of these early picks count.

To be fair i remember how furious our recruiters looked at Sydneys when Jones went #15 he looked our first choice but we got pipped there. As you say there were good second choice options.

The mentality of not putting in more effort to improve our stocks will, though. Last two premier teams have had a very club core, as opposed to a foreign legion feel that we are getting.
RHS how exactly does one put effort into improving our stocks with an OOC player? He picked the club 3rd in the PSD queue so what leverage could we have to get a better deal?

Like Schache definitely wont be going for less than a top 10 pick? I can see us signing a DFA so we would then need two spots.

Haybill is as good as gone but would need another one.

I can't really see any DFA that suits our needs and is likely to want to come.

That's ok, we've got the 2011 and 2012 drafts to fall back on.

There is no certainty with drafting - clubs gather information from tangible test results and character assessments, but these cannot / do not definitively identify all that can go wrong with injury, character flaws, a lack of dedication, an inability under pressure at the highest level, or any of the other simple foibles and failures of human bodies and spirit.

Every human is flawed whether in spirit, athleticism or physicality, and all are flawed in judgement. No-one is perfect. That renders a collective effort (club) even more difficult as it becomes a melting pot of all the individual abilities, short-comings and varying opinions of those involved.

BF is just a small snap shot......the scale and fierceness of varying opinions on players, coaches, strategy and direction here demonstrates just how difficult it must be to coordinate a multi million dollar organisation and achieve a common goal despite all the differences and individual egos.

It's a numbers game.

lang gone
jansen gone
kolo average
walker gone
burbury gone

Now do other clubs in that draft. Some got some hits in the first 30 picks or so but many faltered just as we have in that draft.
Kolo will be here for quite some time too.

Adelaide: Matt Crouch :whitecheck: Riley Knight
Brisbane: James Aish (traded), Darcy Gardiner, Daniel McStay, Lewis Taylor, Tom Cutler, Jonothan Freeman (delisted), Nick Robertson
Carlton: Patrick Cripps :whitecheck:, Cameron Giles, Nick Holman (both delisted)
Collingwood: Matthew Scharenburg (injuries), Nathan Freeman (traded), Tom Langdon, Jonathon Marsh.
Essendon: Zach Merrett :whitecheck: Orazio Fantasia :whitecheck:
Fremantle: Michael Apeness, Alex Pearce, Brady Grey, Matt Taberner.
Geelong: Darcy Lang, Jarrad Jansen, Jake Kolodjashnij.
Gold Coast: Kade Kolodjashnij, Sean Lemmens, Jack Leslie
GWS: Tom Boyd (traded), Josh Kelly :whitecheck:, Cameron McCarthy (traded), Rory Lobb :whitecheck:
Hawthorn: Billy Hartung, Dayle Garlett (sacked/delisted/quit), James Sicily
Melbourne: Christian Salem :whitecheck: Jay Kennedy-Harris, Jayden Hunt :whitecheck:, Mitch Clisby
North Melb: Luke McDonald, Trent Dumont, Ben Brown :whitecheck:
Port Adel: Jarman Impey (traded), Mitchell Harvey, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Karl Amon.
Richmond: Ben Lennon, Sam Lloyd, Nathan Gordon
St.Kilda: Jack Billings :whitecheck: Blake Acres
Sydney: Zak Jones, George Hewett, Toby Nankervis (traded), Aliir Aliir
West Coast: Dom Sheed, Malcolm Karpany, Tom Barass, Dylan Main
Western Bulldogs: Marcus Bontempelli :whitecheck: Matt Fuller, Mitch Honeychurch

*rookie elevations not listed and there was only 2 decent rookies selected (Neville Jetta and Charlie Cameron).

So there was a few hit early, a couple of hits in the 2nd round and then good foot soldiers, list cloggers or delistees after that.
We were far from alone in struggling in this draft. Lots of the finalists that year met similar fates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back