Rumour Ollie Wines - will he go or will he stay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Holy moly. I guess that's where our cap spend is going!

One club player though. Huge news really after stepping down as a co-captain. Guys must be super happy at the club.

Bit of tough love has workers wonders. Stoked with this. It’s obvious he wasn’t happy being dumped as skip. When he came into the side this year he put his head down and let his footy do the talking. Played like a captain in waiting. He’ll be our next captain and he would’ve earned it this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, that is interesting! We knew he & family loved Port, then 2019 came along! What a horror year for him on so many fronts. Then he turned it around in 2020, and he returned to the Ollie we know, loving football, and loving playing for Port. 👍👍

Obviously Club has long-term plans for him.

"I know he's under contract but I'm not convinced he's going to be at Port Adelaide next year unless he comes out and strongly denies this rumour I just made up" - Damian Barrett in the 2021 offseason probably

Wow that is a surprise.

4 year contract extension on top of his remaining 2 years.

this gives us a lot of certainty around future recruiting knowing we’ve got our #1 centre square mid locked up.

apparently he’s our highest paid player at just under 850k (source C4) when plenty of clubs have guys on 1m+.

I reckon if we’ve been smart with the structure of his contract, and we likely have, there’s a lot of opportunity to front end the s**t out of that thing knowing we don’t have to worry about free agency and being in the top % to be a rfa.

the risk being if he asks for a trade we’ve already paid him but allowing us to really be in a good place cap wise.

"I know he's under contract but I'm not convinced he's going to be at Port Adelaide next year unless he comes out and strongly denies this rumour I just made up" - Damian Barrett in the 2021 offseason probably

To be fair I think he was the first scribe to admit that Ollie wasn't going anywhere. However, if something did change he would be the first to say "well we were the first to predict this, a long time ago".

A billion dollar industry occasionally holding up home made red cardboard signs when digital boards have been manufactured for sporting clubs to use on the sidelines for decades is all sorts of bizarre.

There’s probably private schools in Adelaide using them for their soccer teams
They had those. They said they couldn't read the numbers.
They went back to the big signs because they were easier to read.

Also happy that Ollie is staying, but thats a long commitment. Although at least we're not offering it to him during a season where his body is falling apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back