Banter Opposition Welcome - Freo Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

If the rules were changed requiring a forward inside fifty always, Alex Pearce would be the man. Very fast off a burst, good mark overhead. All the fast off the mark talls will become huge weapons. It would be exciting viewing.
Has the aerobic ability to match as well. Been carrying injuries the majority of the season so plenty of upside to come.

Yes, Connolly didn't want Croad, and didn't think we needed him in our backline*, but that is totally different conversation. Schwab recruited Croad, and then recruited Connolly. Croad kicked 42 goals in his first season (14th in the AFL) despite it being his first year being played as a KPF. We dream that McCarthy might do the same. A forward line containing Pavlich, Croad, Polak and J Longmuir should have been amazing.

* We had a raft of defenders including MacPharlin, Haddril, Parker, Brown, Jones, MacPhee and Grover. Croad was indeed a better defender, but we just didn't need him there.
Thanks for clearing that up, memory isn't what it used to be, but it is relevant to the conversation of
McGovern playing forward for us.

We should have kept him instead of a last legs Johnson.

Both would’ve been gone end of this year anyway.

If you go the D + T board there’s a guy that puts the top 30 players in WAFL each week etc. There’s a lot of ex-AFL hacks in that lot. Just goes to show imo that no matter what anyone tries to say AFL and state leagues are miles apart. I’m beyond confident Collins won’t make it at AFL level unless he magically gains 2-3 cms, several yards worth or pace and improves his foot skills out of sight .... yea not going to happen.

Both would’ve been gone end of this year anyway.

If you go the D + T board there’s a guy that puts the top 30 players in WAFL each week etc. There’s a lot of ex-AFL hacks in that lot. Just goes to show imo that no matter what anyone tries to say AFL and state leagues are miles apart. I’m beyond confident Collins won’t make it at AFL level unless he magically gains 2-3 cms, several yards worth or pace and improves his foot skills out of sight .... yea not going to happen.
Bulked up at Freo, playing the McGovern intercept role now so probably has gained pace? But by reports reading the play well.
Wasn't a power defender, but the real question is why we delisted and went for so many rucks?

Bulked up at Freo, playing the McGovern intercept role now so probably has gained pace? But by reports reading the play well.
Wasn't a power defender, but the real question is why we delisted and went for so many rucks?

Don’t disagree with any of this but he wouldn’t have made it anyway.

My guess is because they take so long to develop and once Sandi retires it will be Darcy then unproven blokes.

Didn't both of them come to Freo in 2002? Regardless Connolly played him out of position, or where Croad liked to play.
His best footy was in the backline.

Schwab arrived at Fremantle before trade week and orchestrated the Croad, McPharlin, Simmonds and Farmer deals. Connolly was announced as Fremantle coach after trade week.

Thanks for clearing that up, memory isn't what it used to be, but it is relevant to the conversation of
McGovern playing forward for us.

Surely if we are offering $1.1M x 6 for Jeremy McGovern it is to play him in defence. You dont spend that kind of money on an experiment.

Will never be a star at AFL level but a handy depth player who gives his all. Worth a shot for a team like Richmond or GWS just incase they get an injury to a key player IMO.

Is that "bringing them home" thread still kicking around?

No doubt Bondy et al are keeping a close eye on the following and will sound out a return home (whether they're worth it or not is besides the point).

- Tim Kelly
- Blake Acres
- Darcy Cameron
- Shai Bolton
- Matt Guelfi
- Brandon Starcevich
- Sam Taylor
- Billy Frampton
- Rory Lobb
- Zac Fisher
- Quentin Narkle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was list manager....

I would be looking at trading our 2019 first for a late first rounder this year and hopefully a second. Get those three draft picks (incl. pick 6 or whatever it will be) in early next year, let them all play together with Darcy, Brayshaw and Cerra etc. Something that got me thinking on the weekend was how much we lack continuity this year, each week there's a new ruckman palming it down to you, and you have no idea who the bloke it is you're kicking it to in the forward line. Another aspect of it is looking at St Kilda. They traded out of 2016 to get two 2017 picks. Everyone thought they made out like Bandits in the O'Meara trade however they barely had any talent to get on the field in 2017 and have essentially delayed their rebuild. My belief is a lot of gun players come from that 10-20 pick bracket (Dangerfield, Fyfe) and loading up on picks there is definitely worth looking at.

Holly moses you guys are reasonable people.

I went into the west coast thread and they are proclaiming a decent trade would be Scott Lycett for kelly.

I think we will deal with Fremantle if the club has a similar fair mentality

Is that really so unreasonable?

Lycett is only 25 and is one of the better rucks around especially since most rucks reach their prime mid-late twenties. Would fill a position you guys are in desperate need to be filled

Kelly is good and all but Geelong have plenty of top flight mids.

I doubt the trade will happen though. Given the news that came out today West Coast need Scott Lycett far more then they need a player like Kelly.

Is that really so unreasonable?

Lycett is only 25 and is one of the better rucks around especially since most rucks reach their prime mid-late twenties. Would fill a position you guys are in desperate need to be filled

Kelly is good and all but Geelong have plenty of top flight mids.

I doubt the trade will happen though. Given the news that came out today West Coast need Scott Lycett far more then they need a player like Kelly.

Lycett is a solid support level ruck. He is not an A grade first rate ruck. We have both smith and Stanley who are equal if not better slightly than Lycett. So would pass.

Kelly is of much higher value given his first year form that lycett

Lycett is a solid support level ruck. He is not an A grade first rate ruck. We have both smith and Stanley who are equal if not better slightly than Lycett. So would pass.

Kelly is of much higher value given his first year form that lycett

The only reason why Lycett is a support ruck is because Nic Nat exists. I agree he isn't quite A grade but he has the tools to become so. Smith and Stanley are no way better then Lycett or even equel to him. That is crazy. Yes Kelly is a first year player but he is also 23 about to turn 24. If he was getting his numbers as an 18/19 year old I'd agree he would be worth more but he isn't so I don't. The fact is you guys are tilting for a flag and one of the missing pieces is a good ruckman. And Lycett is at the very least a good ruckman.

This is moot anyway West Coast need Lycett to fill Nic Nat's shoes now that he is gone for the rest of this year and next.

If I was list manager....

I would be looking at trading our 2019 first for a late first rounder this year and hopefully a second. Get those three draft picks (incl. pick 6 or whatever it will be) in early next year, let them all play together with Darcy, Brayshaw and Cerra etc. Something that got me thinking on the weekend was how much we lack continuity this year, each week there's a new ruckman palming it down to you, and you have no idea who the bloke it is you're kicking it to in the forward line. Another aspect of it is looking at St Kilda. They traded out of 2016 to get two 2017 picks. Everyone thought they made out like Bandits in the O'Meara trade however they barely had any talent to get on the field in 2017 and have essentially delayed their rebuild. My belief is a lot of gun players come from that 10-20 pick bracket (Dangerfield, Fyfe) and loading up on picks there is definitely worth looking at.

It’s a semi tough spot. I get your reasoning and ordinarily I like the idea BUT what if Hogan, Cripps or some other dude becomes available at end of 2019? We lose a bit of leverage. Especially if the writing is on the wall for the Eagles and they do drop off and start to have currency of value.

But I do think this is the last free agency/ draft to complete the rebuild and begin to develop the core young guys.

I’m actually happy we have a bit to work with, with no significant holes. Yes, we could do with a forward but Cox and Taberner give us 2 decent tall options.

Is that "bringing them home" thread still kicking around?

No doubt Bondy et al are keeping a close eye on the following and will sound out a return home (whether they're worth it or not is besides the point).

- Tim Kelly
- Blake Acres
- Darcy Cameron
- Shai Bolton
- Matt Guelfi
- Brandon Starcevich
- Sam Taylor
- Billy Frampton
- Rory Lobb
- Zac Fisher
- Quentin Narkle

Wish we had picked up this kid.