Our Starting 22 - Round 1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

It is not so much about Balta but about the team. We need a CHF more than any position on the ground right now I think.

You mention Teague who might be still coaching if he had the luxury of playing a constantly injured Curnow at CHF with McKay at FF and a resting D Koning or Silvani (194cm), or even Mc Govern. Curnow is the x-factor that may well decide how Carlton go this year if he finally gets a run at it, because mobile marking CHF's are so rare and so valuable.
I'm sorry did Jack or Lynch suddenly up and retire like Rance did? Have Soldo Nankervis and Ryan all been struck down with season ending injuries while on camp in Bright? If neither of those things have happened then we're well covered for CHF for 2022 and perhaps longer. Don't forget we've got 3 top 30-40 picks in a draft with a raft of KPPs/rucks that we can take a look at come seasons end. In the meantime we get another year of development into Balta at KPD while he has quality support in Grimes and Tarrant there to provide the senior experience.

Next year when Jack is likely retired, we'll still have Lynch as our number 1 KPF, if Ryan comes on we could use him as a KPF while Nank and Soldo carry the ruck, we could use some draft picks to target a young ready made replacement or maybe look at free agency to get someone who can provide support.

There is one thing I know we won't do, and that is panic and make short term decisions that seem like a good idea, over long term decisions that are a much better idea.

I'm sorry did Jack or Lynch suddenly up and retire like Rance did? Have Soldo Nankervis and Ryan all been struck down with season ending injuries while on camp in Bright? If neither of those things have happened then we're well covered for CHF for 2022 and perhaps longer. Don't forget we've got 3 top 30-40 picks in a draft with a raft of KPPs/rucks that we can take a look at come seasons end. In the meantime we get another year of development into Balta at KPD while he has quality support in Grimes and Tarrant there to provide the senior experience.

Next year when Jack is likely retired, we'll still have Lynch as our number 1 KPF, if Ryan comes on we could use him as a KPF while Nank and Soldo carry the ruck, we could use some draft picks to target a young ready made replacement or maybe look at free agency to get someone who can provide support.

There is one thing I know we won't do, and that is panic and make short term decisions that seem like a good idea, over long term decisions that are a much better idea.
Well covered for CHF you say. You would seriously would rather play Soldo or Nank forward than switch Balta or even Miller forward. Ryan would be alright as long as the ball doesn't hit the ground, and he can only play deep so not much point with Jack and Lynch.

Jack is no longer a CHF, last year could have told you that. Reckon he will have a good year if he doesn't have to slog it up to the wings. So that leaves Lynch to cover those area's and he barely left the forward 50 last year. He has kicked 33 and 34 goals in the last two years so not exactly starring.

Don't know what you were watching last season, but we were last in the last half of the year, so it is not all that rosy, that is not short term panic. If either or both get injured our forward line would be the worst in the league. You need quality not makeshift players. Balta is quality. Don't even mind if Miller or Biggy is given a shot either, but leaving it all up to hope that things will be okay is relying a lot on hope and luck.

Well covered for CHF you say. You would seriously would rather play Soldo or Nank forward than switch Balta or even Miller forward. Ryan would be alright as long as the ball doesn't hit the ground, and he can only play deep so not much point with Jack and Lynch.

Jack is no longer a CHF, last year could have told you that. Reckon he will have a good year if he doesn't have to slog it up to the wings. So that leaves Lynch to cover those area's and he barely left the forward 50 last year. He has kicked 33 and 34 goals in the last two years so not exactly starring.

Don't know what you were watching last season, but we were last in the last half of the year, so it is not all that rosy, that is not short term panic. If either or both get injured our forward line would be the worst in the league. You need quality not makeshift players. Balta is quality. Don't even mind if Miller or Biggy is given a shot either, but leaving it all up to hope that things will be okay is relying a lot on hope and luck.
the reason we struggled back end of last year wasn't because of the fwd line. We had bigger issue through the midfield and defence with so many players missing. even the lord and saviour Balta missed games at the end of the year. If any club lost their two main key fwds they'd be stuffed. Losing CCJ and Chol will make zero difference as both were average at best. You'd get a similar output from a resting Nank/Soldo or a Biggie

Yes I would rather do that, and if that doesn't work then trial Miller/Nyoun forward. Either option is better than messing around with Baltas development.

Both Jack and Tom were spent in the second half of last year, Lynch had missed a chunk of games with a knee and when he returned was clearly hampered and Jack finally hit the wall after playing 103 games since the start of 2017 and being the wrong side of 30. Despite that both averaged around 2 goals a game despite playing in a forward line that was completely busted after the WCE game.

And it wasn't just Jack and Tom that were stuffed in the second half of the season, most of our back line was missing, a number of our star midfielders were either underdone or plain missing. With all that happening at the same time it's not shock that we were last in the second half of the year. But as I've said previously we're getting everyone back with a full rest and preseason under their belts, there is reason to optimistic rather than pessimistic

the reason we struggled back end of last year wasn't because of the fwd line. We had bigger issue through the midfield and defence with so many players missing. even the lord and saviour Balta missed games at the end of the year. If any club lost their two main key fwds they'd be stuffed. Losing CCJ and Chol will make zero difference as both were average at best. You'd get a similar output from a resting Nank/Soldo or a Biggie
Of course injuries played a major part of it, but there were other factors. The stand rule made it difficult for our backs to zone as the ball was ping ponged around a lot more for one. When we got it back we were often very static without our usual structures and with no bail out up the line marking target.

You seriously think we would get a similar output with a resting Soldo up forward as you would with Chol or CCJ. Soldo would be one of the slowest players in the league and just an average mark. A forward line of Soldo, Jack and Lynch, again the slowest in the league. Chol was at least quick and CCJ at least a good grab. Neither helped our cause much. Biggie or Miller I could live with because at least they are both very quick and could play high forward and not get in Jack or Lynch's way, but neither has proven a thing yet so it's a gamble.

And of course we may get injuries again this year, if it's Jack or Tom or both then we are in real strife if things stay the same.

Last edited:
Yes I would rather do that, and if that doesn't work then trial Miller/Nyoun forward. Either option is better than messing around with Baltas development.

Both Jack and Tom were spent in the second half of last year, Lynch had missed a chunk of games with a knee and when he returned was clearly hampered and Jack finally hit the wall after playing 103 games since the start of 2017 and being the wrong side of 30. Despite that both averaged around 2 goals a game despite playing in a forward line that was completely busted after the WCE game.

And it wasn't just Jack and Tom that were stuffed in the second half of the season, most of our back line was missing, a number of our star midfielders were either underdone or plain missing. With all that happening at the same time it's not shock that we were last in the second half of the year. But as I've said previously we're getting everyone back with a full rest and preseason under their belts, there is reason to optimistic rather than pessimistic
I agree Jack and Lynch were probably feeling the pinch last year, and of course missing the amount of players we had out did made it pretty much impossible to maintain for a season, but I think we have to regenerate our best 22, playing styles and positioning to stay up with the pack.

I think the no.1 issue is with our forward line. Would like to see Miller given a go up high forward, prefer Balta because he is a proven player and as you say is settled down back, but I don't think it would harm his development at all, and he might just be a star at CHF for all we know.

Of course injuries played a major part of it, but there were other factors. The stand rule made it difficult for our backs to zone as the ball was ping ponged around a lot more for one. When we got it back we were often very static without our usual structures and with no bail out up the line marking target.
I thought there was also a distinct lack of pressure - mainly from the midfield but pretty much all over the ground - from Rd 1.

I agree Jack and Lynch were probably feeling the pinch last year, and of course missing the amount of players we had out did made it pretty much impossible to maintain for a season, but I think we have to regenerate our best 22, playing styles and positioning to stay up with the pack.

I think the no.1 issue is with our forward line. Would like to see Miller given a go up high forward, prefer Balta because he is a proven player and as you say is settled down back, but I don't think it would harm his development at all, and he might just be a star at CHF for all we know.
We're going to be regenerating the 22 this season, with a raft of kids likely to get their opportunity to stake a claim for a spot in the 22 moving forward.

Discussing last years draft picks I was quite big on us going after KPPs so I recognise that we're needing to address that issue, but when it came to the crunch we decided Gibcus was the only KPP worth taking in the draft, maybe that's because our recruiters believe that the KPP on offer in the 2022 draft class offer more, so instead of taking someone we weren't that keen on we went with the better rated mid sized types, which I am quite pleased with.

As for Balta well I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on where we believe he is best utilised moving forward, I firmly believe that he can become an elite KPD who will be the leader of our back 6 for the next 10+ years. He is unlikely to reach Rance levels of elite, but he will be very good in his own right when he understands his role fully.

I thought there was also a distinct lack of pressure - mainly from the midfield but pretty much all over the ground - from Rd 1.
In hindsight..I remember thinking that too...I just put it down to the Club managing the players for the Season...slow start and then build up towards the business end...

Agree. I think too much emphasis/worrying had been put on the new stand rule being the issue. The main issue is all season the game plan of 'intense heat' rarely happened. In previous seasons, some games the first quarter or even half it wasn't there. It was obvious, and the switch got flicked, and we were on. In 2021, someone put gaffer over the switch. Rarely did I think, here we go, Tiger pressure game is on. It wasn't rule changes imo, it was mindset ( with lack of key leaders at times injured who drive it of course). Other times those same leaders didn't bring it either. We know the reasons, let's hope they are all pumped and primed, because I am not buying the ageing players on our list an issue. A good run with injuries and a reinvigorated playing group hopefully will see the team start playing with the intensity we saw in the 17-20 seasons.

Yes idiotic the stand rule allowed sides to chip it around and go nowhere thus mitigating our pressure game. The scoring didn't change, so nothing was achieved, but it stopped the pressure game, for what that was worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're going to be regenerating the 22 this season, with a raft of kids likely to get their opportunity to stake a claim for a spot in the 22 moving forward.

Discussing last years draft picks I was quite big on us going after KPPs so I recognise that we're needing to address that issue, but when it came to the crunch we decided Gibcus was the only KPP worth taking in the draft, maybe that's because our recruiters believe that the KPP on offer in the 2022 draft class offer more, so instead of taking someone we weren't that keen on we went with the better rated mid sized types, which I am quite pleased with.

As for Balta well I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on where we believe he is best utilised moving forward, I firmly believe that he can become an elite KPD who will be the leader of our back 6 for the next 10+ years. He is unlikely to reach Rance levels of elite, but he will be very good in his own right when he understands his role fully.
Very happy we went for Gibcus for the same reason. Class of 22 will still take a year or two even if we snagged a really good one, so in the mean time we will have to make contingency plans. From reports (Ceasar/Punt Rd. End), Balta is doing some forward training, so may others, so looks like they are thinking of a Plan B.

Agree that Balta will be a super key back, time will tell if he ever becomes a great key forward, not that our opinions have anything to do with it.

Last edited:
It is not so much about Balta but about the team. We need a CHF more than any position on the ground right now I think.

You mention Teague who might be still coaching if he had the luxury of playing a constantly injured Curnow at CHF with McKay at FF and a resting D Koning or Silvani (194cm), or even Mc Govern. Curnow is the x-factor that may well decide how Carlton go this year if he finally gets a run at it, because mobile marking CHF's are so rare and so valuable.
View attachment Leave Balta Alone.mp4

Yes idiotic the stand rule allowed sides to chip it around and go nowhere thus mitigating our pressure game. The scoring didn't change, so nothing was achieved, but it stopped the pressure game, for what that was worth.
The stand rule was a part of it, but you can still chase and put on pressure when the ball is in motion. We only did it in fits and starts. Second half against the Dogs, the second Brisbane game, opening quarters against the Cats and the godeees. We didn't do it for an entire game all season. Too many players started the season underdone and we never caught up.

The stand rule was a part of it, but you can still chase and put on pressure when the ball is in motion. We only did it in fits and starts. Second half against the Dogs, the second Brisbane game, opening quarters against the Cats and the godeees. We didn't do it for an entire game all season. Too many players started the season underdone and we never caught up.
robert pattinson this gif | WiffleGif

Yep, was a bit of a pattern.

Start the game strongly, not capitalise on the scoreboard; the opposition go forward a couple of times, get a couple of goals and our effort fell away.

Our best last year was up to it, but how many times did we give 100%? Two or three times maximum.

We will be huge this year. If it is anything like last year, though, old heads will have to roll, but I don’t see it.

I will also add, I don’t like this talk on here of “one more tilt” etc.

Given our list management we can gradually transition in guys who have been well schooled while starved of opportunity.

If we keep building from bottom, age-wise, we should never drop off like Hawthorn and the Swans did or need to artificially stay afloat like Geelong.

We’ve done it our way, and as long as our scouts keep spotting good young talent and character we should never plummet.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back