B: Balta Grimes Tarrant
HB: Vlastuin Broad Short
C: Ralphsmith Graham Dow
HF: Lambert Edwards Baker
F: Riewoldt Martin Lynch
F: Nankervis Prestia Bolton
INT: Cotchin Stack Soldo RCD

Defenders
Tarrant replaces Astbury in our best 7 defensive unit. Balta and Broad back from injury concerns helps to strengthen our structure. Grimes goes back to the anchor of the back line where he gets behind everyone to survey the whole field and ensure we're well positioned. Stack comes off the bench as the 7th defender.

Midfielders
Time to start developing the next generation of midfielders with positions in the 22 being awarded to the likes of Ralphsmith Dow & RCD. I'd like to see Graham become the starting centre where he takes on more of an attacking mindset rather than being defensively minded. I'd like to see what Dow and HRS can offer on the wings with them both better users of the ball IMO than KMac and Pickett. Prestia remains in the starting midfield mix for his leadership, while Bolton adds that X factor spark. Cotchin comes off the bench to impact the game. Soldo and Nankervis in the ruck gives us a solid 1-2 punch that means we shouldn't lose any impetus in stoppages.

Forwards
Been asking for this to happen for a while and I'll keep asking. Load up with attacking weapons in our forward 50 and let the opposition worry about how they stop us, rather than us trying to stop them. Lambert Edwards and Baker are all capable of putting pressure on when the opposition has the footy, but have the added ability to then hit the scoreboard and/or be better weapons bringing the ball into the F50 or around F50 stoppages where they can get on the run and hit the stoppage at pace. Not many defenders would be comfortable being taken to stoppages against proven midfielders

Defenders
Tarrant replaces Astbury in our best 7 defensive unit. Balta and Broad back from injury concerns helps to strengthen our structure. Grimes goes back to the anchor of the back line where he gets behind everyone to survey the whole field and ensure we're well positioned. Stack comes off the bench as the 7th defender.

Midfielders
Time to start developing the next generation of midfielders with positions in the 22 being awarded to the likes of Ralphsmith Dow & RCD. I'd like to see Graham become the starting centre where he takes on more of an attacking mindset rather than being defensively minded. I'd like to see what Dow and HRS can offer on the wings with them both better users of the ball IMO than KMac and Pickett. Prestia remains in the starting midfield mix for his leadership, while Bolton adds that X factor spark. Cotchin comes off the bench to impact the game. Soldo and Nankervis in the ruck gives us a solid 1-2 punch that means we shouldn't lose any impetus in stoppages.

Forwards
Been asking for this to happen for a while and I'll keep asking. Load up with attacking weapons in our forward 50 and let the opposition worry about how they stop us, rather than us trying to stop them. Lambert Edwards and Baker are all capable of putting pressure on when the opposition has the footy, but have the added ability to then hit the scoreboard and/or be better weapons bringing the ball into the F50 or around F50 stoppages where they can get on the run and hit the stoppage at pace. Not many defenders would be comfortable being taken to stoppages against proven midfielders
your centreline of ralphy, graham and dow looks very very shaky...graham is not a pure centreman and dow and hugo arnt good enough overhead or fit and strong enough yet....give me 3 of macca/pickett, meaty, short anyday in 2022. as much as we love jack graham i can't see him being anything more than a very good spare parts man who will slice the opposition open every now and again.

Last edited:

your centreline of ralphy, graham and dow looks very very shaky...graham is not a pure centreman and dow and hugo arnt good enough overhead or fit and strong enough yet....give me 3 of macca/pickett, meaty, short anyday in 2022. as much as we love jack graham i can't see him being anything more than a very good spare parts man who will slice the opposition open every now and again.
As I said it's about developing the next generation of midfielders, which means like some of them HRS and Dow might not be the best options in their spots but we need to start somewhere. If it comes off and they deliver we're well placed for the future, if it doesn't then we're going to end up with a handy draft pick at seasons end and we'll know that we need to look for other options. We cant just stick with the players who have been there for a while, if we do then we're not doing what is best for the club moving forward.

As I said it's about developing the next generation of midfielders, which means like some of them HRS and Dow might not be the best options in their spots but we need to start somewhere. If it comes off and they deliver we're well placed for the future, if it doesn't then we're going to end up with a handy draft pick at seasons end and we'll know that we need to look for other options. We cant just stick with the players who have been there for a while, if we do then we're not doing what is best for the club moving forward.
4 points is 4 points.... if dow and hugo line up on the wings and JG as our main mid v carlton with cotch sitting on the pine and macca and pickett in the stands..... i will be disappointed and annoyed. our high draft picks as well mansell, miller, hugo, dow, and co should gets games but lets wait till they are knocking down the door or injury, poor form or player management and rotation is the reason.

4 points is 4 points.... if dow and hugo line up on the wings and JG as our main mid v carlton with cotch sitting on the pine and macca and pickett in the stands..... i will be disappointed and annoyed. our high draft picks as well mansell, miller, hugo, dow, and co should gets games but lets wait till they are knocking down the door or injury, poor form or player management and rotation is the reason.
What if they have big preseasons and have earned their positions in the 22?

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards
Prefer Dow closer to the action...

Play him in balta spot. Imo
Absolutely. Being groomed as possibly even rotating forward. He’s going to get a lot of exposure in his first year to senior footy.
It's rare to see a 1st year key forward get regular games but we've seen guys like Naughton and Talia have an impact down back in their first years though. So yeah even if the long term plan is to make him into forward I think if they want to pump games into him and not risk ruining his confidence the best spot would be as a 3rd tall defender. Grimes and Tarrant can take the big boys, plus there's Broad to chop out as well.

Agree MP that'd mean Balta forward 😬

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's rare to see a 1st year key forward get regular games but we've seen guys like Naughton and Talia have an impact down back in their first years though. So yeah even if the long term plan is to make him into forward I think if they want to pump games into him and not risk ruining his confidence the best spot would be as a 3rd tall defender. Grimes and Tarrant can take the big boys, plus there's Broad to chop out as well.

Agree MP that'd mean Balta forward 😬
It’s definitely tougher for KP to be a regular senior player in their first year for sure. Especially in Gibcus case, coming into a proven top end team.
But I would expect him to play around 6-8 games and I agree with easing him down back first.

Just for examples sake here’s a list of KPP drafted inside top 10 in last 5 years and how many games they played in their first year:
2017-
WBD Naughton 18 games, pick 9
2018-
STK King 0 games, pick 4
GCS King 14 games, pick 6
2019-
MEL Jackson 6 games, pick 3
ADE Mcasey 10 games, pick 6
2020-
WBD Ugle-Hagen 5 games, pick 1
ADE Thilthorpe 14 games, pick 2
SYD McDonald 7 games, pick 4
HAW Granger-Barras 5 games, pick 6
2021-
WBD- Darcy pick 2
GCS- Andrew pick 5
FREO- Amiss pick 8
RICH- Gibcus pick 9

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards
Wing is not an easy position for some 'pure' mids - the hunt the ball type. I haven't seen much of Dow, but thought he might be more that type of mid. Has he played wing in the VFL much? I guess he has all summer to work on structures etc if he goes there.
Some of the best wingers now were these 'pure' mids as I call them all their junior years and early in their AFL games too, so it comes down to where the development team best see him.

Just a bit bemused with some comments here about Gibcus. HE WAS THE BEST KPD IN THE DRAFT and from what i can gather has not played a lot of footy fwd.. Yet here we have supporters already talking about him playing forward, why are we always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Just my opinion but at 81 kg i think he will play most of next year at KPD in the two,s alongside Nyuon.

Sheesh why did we keep Miller for a fourth season if Gibcus can just waltz in and go straight past him. Is Miller really that poor.

At 198cm and 97kg being physically mature Miller is the one we need to step up and after his debut game, where he looked very solid in shutting down his opponent. id say with a good preseason they would be very keen to play him and allow Balta to play forward.
I for one have not been sold on Miller but four years in it had better be time to play him give him the opportunity and find out what he can do at the level.

Just a bit bemused with some comments here about Gibcus. HE WAS THE BEST KPD IN THE DRAFT and from what i can gather has not played a lot of footy fwd.. Yet here we have supporters already talking about him playing forward, why are we always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Just my opinion but at 81 kg i think he will play most of next year at KPD in the two,s alongside Nyuon.

Sheesh why did we keep Miller for a fourth season if Gibcus can just waltz in and go straight past him. Is Miller really that poor.

At 198cm and 97kg being physically mature Miller is the one we need to step up and after his debut game, where he looked very solid in shutting down his opponent. id say with a good preseason they would be very keen to play him and allow Balta to play forward.
I for one have not been sold on Miller but four years in it had better be time to play him give him the opportunity and find out what he can do at the level.
Totally agree with Miller... Definitely next in before Gibcus. But I think that's the reason Gibcus can do preseason sometimes training with the backs, and sometimes forwards, and then play some 'VFL' games forward.
The 'swingman' term has already been put out there, I think by the club too, so he can spend the next 12 months developing in both and we can see if Miller and Biggie can step up during that time.

You do realise the club said it first yeah?

Totally agree with Miller... Definitely next in before Gibcus. But I think that's the reason Gibcus can do preseason sometimes training with the backs, and sometimes forwards, and then play some 'VFL' games forward.
The 'swingman' term has already been put out there, I think by the club too, so he can spend the next 12 months developing in both and we can see if Miller and Biggie can step up during that time.
Let preseason form determine who gets a gig in the senior side. If a player is training the house down and showing form in the scratch matches then reward them. If Gibcus is showing better form than Miller then play him, and vica-versa. Just because a player has been at the club 3 or 4 years it does not entitle them over a new player who’s showing better form. Ross, RCD , Miller ,Dow, R Smith etc need to grab a spot and show they are good enough. I am sick to death of reading how we have to play this group I’ve mentioned when none of them have shown enough to warrant being a regular in our senior team. Most have had games and have not cemented a spot. It is time for players in this group to grab the opportunity when it’s presented. If they are unable to do that shortly then I’ll be glad to see our new recruits go straight pass them in the pecking order.

FB Grimes Tarrant Vlastuin
HB Short Balta Broad
C Rioli Graham KMac
HF Jack Edwards Dusty
FF Bolton Lynch Baker
Fol Nank Cotch Prestia
Int Lambert Stack Soldo Pickett
Sub RCD

Still strong af with a fit list

Let preseason form determine who gets a gig in the senior side. If a player is training the house down and showing form in the scratch matches then reward them. If Gibcus is showing better form than Miller then play him, and vica-versa. Just because a player has been at the club 3 or 4 years it does not entitle them over a new player who’s showing better form. Ross, RCD , Miller ,Dow, R Smith etc need to grab a spot and show they are good enough. I am sick to death of reading how we have to play this group I’ve mentioned when none of them have shown enough to warrant being a regular in our senior team. Most have had games and have not cemented a spot. It is time for players in this group to grab the opportunity when it’s presented. If they are unable to do that shortly then I’ll be glad to see our new recruits go straight pass them in the pecking order.
Fair call. No issue with that. Thought Miller did OK in his 1st game in the seniors. Happy to play whoever steps up though.

C: Kmac RCD Baker
HF: Stack Lynch Bolton
F: Caddy Riewoldt Martin
F: Nankervis Prestia Graham
INT: Cotchin Soldo Lambert Sonsie

Main issues last season besides getting hammered in the midfield was a lack of forward class. Caddy must play as an extra marking target with no Chol or CCJ. Guy is a genuine goal kicker. We need that. Stack the extra player added to that area of the ground with some class and tricks.

Forward line of Lynch, Riewoldt, Caddy, Martin, Stack, Sonsie, Bolton and Lambert rotating is much improved.

Midfield shake up with Baker permanently playing and more game time for RCD in the centre bounce to sink or swim.

No to Dow (don't rate, no football IQ or genuine ball winning ability), Gibcus (not ready) and Rioli was very close but the choice was playing Short on a wing and omitting Sonsie vs keeping Short in his best role and adding an extra mid. Sonsie the most realistic debut.

And the big omission Shane Edwards. Won't happen as Dimma loves him but bookmark this....he went on one year too long. Signs were there very evidently there last year. This side is heavy on mids who can rotate through half forward or half back. We went way too light on mids last year in favor of small fowards who offered nothing else and were limited (Castagna, Aarts, etc).

Last edited:

derp its the recruiters that mentioned he can play fwd. Wasn't invented here

R1

Grimes Tarrant Short
Vlastuin Balta Broad
Kmac Dusty Pickett
Bolton Lynch Lambert
Baker Jack Edwards

Nank Cotch Prestia

Stack Soldo Graham Rioli

(Emergencies RCD Dow Ralph Miller Mansell Castagna Aarts Parker Cumberland MJR Martyn all up n coming or depth/injury cover. Then some very promising kids).

That's our best and strongest team on paper imo. If all fit and healthy and in form it should be bloody hard to beat and imo is the best 22 in the comp.

No doubt some players like Mansell, RCD, Dow will have strong preseasons and may push into the 22 based on practice/form. That's perfect and will mean players like Cotch, Lambo, Edwards don't have to play 22 games and can be rested as required and used for maximum impact through the season.

Full preseason. R1 no or few injuries. Carlton like a patchwork quilt all over the park atm.

Farken boom !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back