Patrick Dangerfield or Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Not if its restricted to grand finals.

I've got no drama with him being lauded as the greatest in big games or whatever but if, hypothetically - and I'm not suggesting this has happened or will happen - he plays like a busted arse from rounds 1-22 and then comes out and wins a fourth Norm Smith or whatever, that doesn't elevate the rest of his season.
I think this is it. Dusty's best and when he does it puts him in the category of one of the most uniquely talented players ever. Can do things most can't and does it regularly, but not as consistently as GAJ.

GAJ is a machine in he way he dominated seasons after seasons. Has close to as much natural talent and flair as Dusty, but what he has done, being the best player of the last 20 years almost every year, takes him to the top of pack career wise. It is harder to do it for so long than doing it intermittently like Dusty.

His old man and Leigh Matthews are better than both in my eyes because they did it like GAJ for so long, but with the talent of Martin, maybe more.

Dangerfield has been almost as consistent as GAJ, but has a game a little more one-dimensional than the other two. Pretty much a straight ahead burst player like few others ever. As he is getting older he has lost some of that burst so now is just solid player. As a forward matched up against Grimes who equals him for speed and strength, he was not a threat. But Dusty as a forward creates goals out of nothing which makes him so hard to match up on. Grimes would also be his best match-up by the way.

I think this is it. Dusty's best and when he does it puts him in the category of one of the most uniquely talented players ever. Can do things most can't and does it regularly, but not as consistently as GAJ.

GAJ is a machine in he way he dominated seasons after seasons. Has close to as much natural talent and flair as Dusty, but what he has done, being the best player of the last 20 years almost every year, takes him to the top of pack career wise. It is harder to do it for so long than doing it intermittently like Dusty.

His old man and Leigh Matthews are better than both in my eyes because they did it like GAJ for so long, but with the talent of Martin, maybe more.

Dangerfield has been almost as consistent as GAJ, but has a game a little more one-dimensional than the other two. Pretty much a straight ahead burst player like few others ever. As he is getting older he has lost some of that burst so now is just solid player. As a forward matched up against Grimes who equals him for speed and strength, he was not a threat. But Dusty as a forward creates goals out of nothing which makes him so hard to match up on. Grimes would also be his best match-up by the way.

Quality take.

Very accurate.

The one thing that was really hard to watch on Saturday was the way our players tried to tackle Martin. As soon as he was in the clear with all those shots on goal I knew what the result would be. He just doesn’t miss. But it was really disappointing to see the way our players tried to tackle him.

AFL tackling is different to league because it is more one on one and the emphasis is on locking one or both arms up.

But with martin you KNOW that if you miss him altogether he will make you pay.

At least if you tackle around the waist and he handballs it, the recipient isn’t nearly as likely to do the damage he does when they make their disposal

Quality take.

Very accurate.

The one thing that was really hard to watch on Saturday was the way our players tried to tackle Martin. As soon as he was in the clear with all those shots on goal I knew what the result would be. He just doesn’t miss. But it was really disappointing to see the way our players tried to tackle him.

AFL tackling is different to league because it is more one on one and the emphasis is on locking one or both arms up.

But with martin you KNOW that if you miss him altogether he will make you pay.

At least if you tackle around the waist and he handballs it, the recipient isn’t nearly as likely to do the damage he does when they make their disposal
Well he is hard to tackle. Adelaide did it well in 2017, attacked him in numbers which sort of quelled him a bit. But he was strong enough to give it to the spare man as that players man was trying to tackle Martin. This is why to me he deserved his first Norm Smith, because he created the lose man which started so many of Richmond's forward thrusts. We tend to score heavily like that.

Much the same thing though, created something out of nothing. And when he is zoned in, as you say, he doesn't miss. That is one of his most unique talents, which come to the fore in big games, or when it matters. He has the best all round foot in footy to boot.

Well he is hard to tackle. Adelaide did it well in 2017, attacked him in numbers which sort of quelled him a bit. But he was strong enough to give it to the spare man as that players man was trying to tackle Martin. This is why to me he deserved his first Norm Smith, because he created the lose man which started so many of Richmond's forward thrusts. We tend to score heavily like that.

Much the same thing though, created something out of nothing. And when he is zoned in, as you say, he doesn't miss. That is one of his most unique talents, which come to the fore in big games, or when it matters. He has the best all round foot in footy to boot.

I just think back to when Ablett was at his peak but there were others around him like Corey, Bartel, Selwood etc - the few teams who did manage to make life hard for us were relentless not necessarily in shutting those guys down, but at least making them earn their disposals - doubtless Martin is hard to tackle but players have to stop aiming for his top half because he will just fend them every time. That was the one skill I had personally that I could rely on playing football and I knew any time a player tried to tackle me from the right side, I would be able to get rid of him. When players went at my waist they would generally get me. If I'm defending him either one on one or with a teammate, my aim would be to bury him in the turf every time even when he gets the ball away and at least try and force him to battle for that influence. Sooner or later through no fault of his own a handball will go to an opponent or to no-one, that's a better result than him getting away with ball in hand because he will just murder you every time.

I just think back to when Ablett was at his peak but there were others around him like Corey, Bartel, Selwood etc - the few teams who did manage to make life hard for us were relentless not necessarily in shutting those guys down, but at least making them earn their disposals - doubtless Martin is hard to tackle but players have to stop aiming for his top half because he will just fend them every time. That was the one skill I had personally that I could rely on playing football and I knew any time a player tried to tackle me from the right side, I would be able to get rid of him. When players went at my waist they would generally get me. If I'm defending him either one on one or with a teammate, my aim would be to bury him in the turf every time even when he gets the ball away and at least try and force him to battle for that influence. Sooner or later through no fault of his own a handball will go to an opponent or to no-one, that's a better result than him getting away with ball in hand because he will just murder you every time.
Maybe it comes down to kicking. Dusty is just a better more accurate kick, even if danger is better In some other ways dusty accuracy puts him ahead.

Maybe it comes down to kicking. Dusty is just a better more accurate kick, even if danger is better In some other ways dusty accuracy puts him ahead.

Abslutely I agree this isn't an attempt to talk Martin down it's just my observation when I watch how teams try to handle him, they simply need to accept that he is too good by foot around goal and not take the risk of letting him have the shot. Either corral him so that he can't kick it, or tackle him lower and let him get rid of it by hand. Do not let him have space and kicking room

I'm actually surprised more players haven't tried to grab Dusty's wrist/forearm with both hands when he goes to fend them off. He literally offers it to them.

Get a hold of his forearm and he can't handball so his only option then is to kick, and that is when you pull him off balance so hopefully the ball misses his boot. Then you hope to hear, "BALLLL...YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!"

Easier said than done I know, and full of 'hope', but most of what they try now rarely works

I'm actually surprised more players haven't tried to grab Dusty's wrist/forearm with both hands when he goes to fend them off. Get a hold of his forearm and he can't handball so his only option then is to kick, and that is when you pull him off balance so hopefully the ball misses his boot. Then you hope to hear, "BALLLL...YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!"

Easier said than done I know, and full of 'hope'
Split second instinct, attack the hips/torso its very hard to adjust once the fend off comes to change the tackle pattern.

I'm pretty sure teams have been coached about this. But even when tackled he releases so well anyway. You could tell from the opening minutes he was on. Not to much you can do about it when he is like that, like a lot of great players.

There is one weakness to Dusty’s game, and that is his overhead marking ability. Always looks unco and if he takes the grab, I’m always surprised. Apart from that, he is truly an amazing talent, so glad he’s a Tiger.

One if the key attributes that differentiates Dusty to Danger is Dusty's lateral movement. Like you said, Danger is a "straight line" player and hence Grimes is able to match up on him nicely.

That's what makes Dusty so hard to match up on. He can go straight, sideways, is as strong as an ox with pace, knows where the goals are, magnificent kicking skills. Oh and he loves pressure and big games. Thrives in this environment. Danger has some of these attributes (and he is a gun...although not an 8xAA gun) but not all. Or even most.

They are both similar in their positioning on the ground - Strong Mids, who go forward. But there is one difference... When Dusty goes forward, he just creates chaos because the defence is already tied up with Lynch, Reiwoldt, Castanga, Bolton, Lambert, etc etc... When Geelong go forward.. it's basically just T Hawkins. Rohan, Miers and these guys are rubbish. So when Danger goes forward, he is going to get the 2nd best defender and more than likely 2 on 1 situations.. like seen in the GF when he was surrounded by 3 or 4 Tigers.

I'd like to know how Dusty would go in a weaker forward set up. My view is that Tom Lynch has given them so much forward depth, that it's allowed Dusty to go to this level. I kind of feel bad for Danger, because Geelong has needed another big forward and a big ruckman for a few years now but have never filled that void. They get some more big guys down forward, and it takes the pressure off Danger of having to be the only man to save them.
dusty was pretty good fwd prior to lynch coming over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a Richmond fan so I accept biased but I think there is little real argument against the statement that Dusty is the most impactful and thus best player in the game. The player of the decade. He is the go to guy in the dominant team and is a great leader as well as player.

It would be interesting how rugby players could handle him one on one. Maybe they should give the AFL players a few pointers, cause it couldn't be any worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back