Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

After all that the club has been put through over the last two years, a grievance tribunal is a small hurdle. May as well have a crack and have some spine.

No, it's what happens after the grievance tribunal.

Are you seriously suggesting it's a good idea for EFC to take one of their own players to court to force him to play for them ?

Goodness me there is a crazy element to the Port supporters. Paddy aint going to enact that clause. If you can't find a win-win trade he aint going and he'll be back at Essendon ...
Is that your gut feel or have you heard him or his manager say that?

He didn't go because he was advised not to.
Ok then he's quit.
He's quit sort of like Dustin Martin quit last year.
It's a headline.
Players don't just walk in and say that's it I quit!
They ask for the club to facilitate a trade if possible or advise that they'll be looking at other options.
And in this case I know that yes hell probably go but he won't bend Essendon over of it comes to that.

He didn't go because he was advised not to.
Ok then he's quit.
He's quit sort of like Dustin Martin quit last year.
It's a headline.
Players don't just walk in and say that's it I quit!
They ask for the club to facilitate a trade if possible or advise that they'll be looking at other options.
And in this case I know that yes hell probably go but he won't bend Essendon over of it comes to that.

I can't see the trade happening though because Essendon's list manager obviously sees Essendon close to Port in the pecking order. We're not going to give up a player part of our list strategy like Paddy is without something that makes our list no strength in this trade.

Port don't have to give up anything if they don't want and I admire their desire to keep their list together. Essendon doesn't have to trade either. If Paddy looks reticent to sign a deal in 2016 Essendon will plan for possibility of Paddy going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you heard him or his manager say otherwise?

yes.

on trade radio connors was asked if there was any chance paddy would go back to essendon and he said no. there was no hesitation and it sounded pretty definite. playes can change their mind , but i havent seen anything out of that club that would make me worried that paddy might go back there.

i agree that i think there is 1/1000 chance paddy will try to use the clause.

but i dont think he would have to , if it went to mediation or the aflpa got involved i think everyone is going to rule/side in ports favour and it would be very hard for essendon to then deny a trade. i mean they could , but i think it would cause a lot of s**t with esseendon that they cant afford right now.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/16/1065917550798.html?from=storyrhs

"In Stevens's case, Williams accused him of holding Port to ransom over his reticence to move to Carlton in the deal proposed yesterday, and hit out at the Magpies' refusal to accede to Port's demand for any of Alan Didak, Simon Prestigiacomo or Richard Cole, plus a draft pick.

"We're not going to be bent over in terms of accepting something that is not fair," Williams said."

That's fine. Do what Port did with Stevens and let him walk. He'll come straight to us as a DFA.

I hope Essendon and Collingwood make a stand this trade period, Players in contract demanding trades shouldn't be a thing.

Agree wholeheartedly - although the Ryder situation is somewhat special circumstances players at the moment want their cake and eat it too and are holding clubs to ransom. They want the security of a long term contract but then expect to be able to break the contract whenever they decide they want out of the club. Ryder, Beams and Mitch Clark all in the same boat. If you want the freedom to move clubs on a year by year basis then don't lock in to long term contracts which cover you in the instance of long term injuries etc

If Ryder is adamant about leaving EFC then he goes to the club that can offer EFC the best deal otherwise bad luck, you signed your contact you honour it. Telling them he'll only go to one club who wasn't even a consideration a month ago is a joke and the fact the media are so stupid as to be manipulated into supporting the players point of view instead assessing the facts logically is ridiculous. Could be because so many of them are ex-players themselves.

In these circumstances, you wont get a player coming in the quality of Ryder to replace him, so it will be a loss in the short term at least.

There are also rumours Howlett/Kavanagg might be on the out. Are these just rumours or any base behind it?

Howlett will stay if Hird remains coach and Kavanagh is just looking for opportunity in a similar vain to Hardingham and Jetta.

I wouldn't care if we lost him for nothing through the magic clause if Port are only offering pick 17.

Pick 17 is a disgusting offer.

Agree wholeheartedly - although the Ryder situation is somewhat special circumstances players at the moment want their cake and eat it too and are holding clubs to ransom. They want the security of a long term contract but then expect to be able to break the contract whenever they decide they want out of the club. Ryder, Beams and Mitch Clark all in the same boat. If you want the freedom to move clubs on a year by year basis then don't lock in to long term contracts which cover you in the instance of long term injuries etc

If Ryder is adamant about leaving EFC then he goes to the club that can offer EFC the best deal otherwise bad luck, you signed your contact you honour it. Telling them he'll only go to one club who wasn't even a consideration a month ago is a joke and the fact the media are so stupid as to be manipulated into supporting the players point of view instead assessing the facts logically is ridiculous. Could be because so many of them are ex-players themselves.

Hallelujah. A contract should be binding.

A bunch of thread bans and post deletions have been done to try and get this back on track. Again.

Keep the insults of both posters and clubs out of it. Keep the ASADA debate out of it.

Ryder - Believes Essendon's supplement program may have endangered the health of his child.
Beams - Wants to spend time with his dying father.
Clark - Suffered from depression

It's not like these guys are just leaving on a whim or because they want more money. Ryder was offered more by Brisbane than Port, and Clark is actually taking a massive pay cut to move clubs.

No he doesn't. He doesn't like the way unsubstantiated rubbish like that about his family is discussed in the press and how dipshits think he wants to hear their ignorant comments about the whole saga. He wants out of Melbourne. If it was purely Essendon he would have looked at other Melbourne clubs as well. He also didn't want to go back to WA because of family issues.

Paddy was very upset after the finals loss. He, like Beams still loves the club just wants out for other reasons.

Of the clubs outside of Vic and WA, Syd and Port are the only ones looking as potential top 4 for next year and Port is the one of those two where Paddy would make the biggest difference. However, I think Paddy is making the wrong decision. Port will be passed by Gold Coast before Port win a flag. Paddy is also not happy having to play a lot of time forward and Lobbe is not really much value up forward.

That all said, Essendon will trade Paddy where he wants to go but we've set the price. Port are a long way from that.

Ryder - Believes Essendon's supplement program may have endangered the health of his child.
Beams - Wants to spend time with his dying father.
Clark - Suffered from depression

It's not like these guys are just leaving on a whim or because they want more money. Ryder was offered more by Brisbane than Port, and Clark is actually taking a massive pay cut to move clubs.

Ryder I kind of feel sorry for, but to hold the club to ransom "Port or nothing" is not on. You want out, OK but don't expect you can just dictate where you're traded to if your club can't be satisfied with a fair trade. There are 17 other clubs he could feasibly go to, why all of a sudden are Port the only one he'll deal with? OK they may be your preferred option but if they clubs can't work a deal bad luck.

Beams - his dad is not dying.

Clark - give me a break. He screwed Melbourne over big time, we were stupid for settling his contract however we did it under good faith on the understanding he would come back to us. His depression allegedly set off following his series of soft tissue injuries when coming back from the lisfranc and his guilt over being one of our best paid players yet being unable to get on the park to help us out while we were putrid on-field. We released him from his contract to remove this burden on the understanding if he were to return we would discuss it with him at the end of the season. He stabbed the MFC in the back after we had gone out of our way to assist him, the argument that he can't return to MFC for mental health reasons is a convenient excuse.

I wouldn't care if we lost him for nothing through the magic clause if Port are only offering pick 17.

Pick 17 is a disgusting offer.

thats probably what essendon think too and why clubs say theyre a pain to deal with at the trade table. fyfe went at 20-something, so pick 17 has every chance of being a superstar. with all the players have been put through your club owes it to them to take a bit unders to help them out. would go a long way to regaining some good will towards the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back