Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

what essendon are essentially doing, is saying "we're not trading you paddy". They know they wont be getting one of our stars, but thats what they are asking for anyway.

I suspect he will walk

what essendon are essentially doing, is saying "we're not trading you paddy". They know they wont be getting one of our stars, but thats what they are asking for anyway.

I suspect he will walk
walk where? To the stands and watch footy for the next 2 years. You cant have one of our stars either.

I hope Essendon and Collingwood make a stand this trade period, Players in contract demanding trades shouldn't be a thing.

Ok, these are pretty different to the normal case which we find ourselves in.

1. Beams dad is very ill and wants to be closer too him. Completely understandable.

2. Bombers have deceived their players and put their playing careers in jeopardy. (its irrelevant if you think the bombers have or haven't done anything wrong, the reality is that all the players will likely receive small bans). A by product of this is significant stress on the players and their families. Again, family comes first for paddy and his wife has asked him to move because she can't handle it any more.

Neither of these players are doing a Kurt or Mitch on their clubs, they are genuine reasons.

Ok, these are pretty different to the normal case which we find ourselves in.

1. Beams dad is very ill and wants to be closer too him. Completely understandable.

2. Bombers have deceived their players and put their playing careers in jeopardy. (its irrelevant if you think the bombers have or haven't done anything wrong, the reality is that all the players will likely receive small bans). A by product of this is significant stress on the players and their families. Again, family comes first for paddy and his wife has asked him to move because she can't handle it any more.

Neither of these players are doing a Kurt or Mitch on their clubs, they are genuine reasons.
I understand there are reasons, but i still don't like it. Player moment has swung way to far in favor of the players, i think some clubs need to make a stand and force players to honor contracts. Just my opinion.

Isn't Ryder contracted?
Don't know about this confidence that he's picked Port so that's that.
They'll still have to make a fair and reasonable offer or the trade just won't go ahead.
He'd be stuck at Essendon.
I wouldn't imagine Essendon would blink an eyelid either in their current mood.
He's uncontracted as soon as he chooses to be. Out of goodwill Paddy is allowing the Bombers to do a deal.

The problem is that Essendon wants a quality player from Port, and our quality players are much better footballers than Ryder.

Even without ASADA, contracts etc taking into account that's just absurd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For that to happen, Ryder has to strike a deal with ASADA, basically plead guilty to taking a banned substance and then cop a suspension. Port, Essendon and Ryder don't want that.
That's exactly what we want.

I understand there are reasons, but i still don't like it. Player moment has swung way to far in favor of the players, i think some clubs need to make a stand and force players to honor contracts. Just my opinion.

Completely and utterly agree.

There are major flaws in our model, but I like it a shed load more than the US model where players are cut, traded etc without any acknowledgement of them as a person by their club.

Majority of players in our system are one club players. That's rare in the states.
We very much have an honour system here, while it gets abused sometimes and its getting worse, I like it more than the alternative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back