Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't mind Melksham when he was drafted and wanted Port to pick him up but think he has disappointed but for the one year ASADA are interested in. Moore is a solid work horse when it's tough he gives plenty.

Ryder could make a huge difference at Port, could be the difference between another good top 4 finish or a flag.
In that context what's another first round (or early 2nd) pick?
In that context White should have been a first rounder.

Got stats for that?

Moore has done nothing compared to melky...

please give us some stats or footage that suggests what you say is true, Melksham is much better than Moore, he has won games off his own boot you choose to forget...
Definitely need a crystal ball for both of them and yes of course Melksham has done a lot more in his career so far. But Moore has yet to have a full chance but at least seems to be improving. Melksham on the other hand went from a decent player to absolute crud. He was abysmal this year and you'd want a good reason why. You'd delist a 23 year old on the back of this season if you hadn't seen the good footy of past years.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/115407/Jake-MELKSHAM

Carlisle is a significantly better defender than forward. If Butcher could fill a CHF role and release Carlisle to his natural position, the Bombers would be a far better side. Butcher is definitely far from a certainty of making it at all at AFL level, but he's more chance of making it as a proper CHF than Ambrose.

Butcher is freakishly athletic for a player his size, and despite his dodgy kicking action he kicked 19 goals at AFL level before he kicked his second behind. His current problems are all in his head. If he overcomes his mental demons, he could be the bargain of a lifetime for Essendon. If I was in charge I'd never trade Butch for a pick unless it was massive overs given his upside if he gets his shit together, but 16 + Butcher would be a fair trade for an established player like Ryder.
Butcher plus 16 is a fair trade I just don't think Essendon have any need for it. I have faith in Carlisle as a forward, he had more than just a good fortnight and you have to remember Essendon's ball movement was horrendous at times. Carlisle forward also allows him more freedom to be the second ruck which I think would work well if he got a liking for it. Especially if Bomber coaches I expect Carlisle and Daniher to start to work really well and that would leave Butcher just languishing in the reserves.

I can't believe how hard it is to find a player from a top 4 side in Port that fits in to the 7th places Bombers as a nice pick up alongside Ryder. You'd think there'd be one. I'm a Ben Newton fan but it's hard to say he's worth anything more than a pick 50 and that makes him pretty negligible in trade value.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116340/Ben-NEWTON

Nah, work rate and defensive pressure are just about the only things that haven't deserted Butcher. I don't knock Ambrose's workrate, but if you're a half back, who's gonna make you more nervous when they're chasing you; the hardworking third tall, or the super quick 198cm key forward?

Butcher and Ambrose wouldn't be in competition for a spot. They play very different roles. Butcher would be in competition with Carlisle and Daniher. He wouldn't get a game ahead of either.

Love the Bombers supporters bringing up Nick Stevens. Nick went to Carlton in the PSD. Port got nothing for him. If that's the path that Essendon wants to go down, be our guest. Kiss pick 16 goodbye, and Paddy will see you in court.

And how many SANFL games have you watched Butcher play in this year to give us all the benefit of your highly informed opinion?

That isn't happening dude. There is no walking to PSD and there is no court. Either we get a deal we like or Paddy's playing at Essendon next year.

Was Nick Stevens contracted?
No.

And Port fans seem to overlook the reason he keeps getting brought up because they tell us to "do the right thing" and let Paddy get to Port no matter what result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

And Port fans seem to overlook the reason he keeps getting brought up because they tell us to "do the right thing" and let Paddy get to Port no matter what result.
if he was out of contract he would come here for free.

Port are throwing up their top pick and a promising youngster. There is no overlooking

if he was out of contract he would come here for free.

Port are throwing up their top pick and a promising youngster. There is no overlooking
Who?

So far the official offer has been pick 16.

That isn't happening dude. There is no walking to PSD and there is no court. Either we get a deal we like or Paddy's playing at Essendon next year.

He won't be playing for us next year, but I doubt he will be playing for Port either. GWS and GC could both compensate us properly and Ryder fits the needs of both, I suspect we are negotiating with both clubs and unless Port come up with something sensible he will end up at one of those two clubs.

I think Nick Stevens and Burgoyne show that Port are one of the worst to trade with. Essendon definitely was difficult in the last few years of Sheedy but since then it's handled trades well and got them out of the way quickly .... even trading Gussy to Port so they didn't lose FA compensation. The only difficulty we've had since is the Caddy trade. However, Gold Coast were being belligerent there ... and for good reason. They had to send a message to their group that they couldn't just up and go to an established club with more cash. Yes they lost out on the trade as Hooker and Thompson would be an amazing KPD team, to go with that amazing midfield, but they won in the long run regards keeping their list together.

Similarly, Essendon will take a belligerent stance for Ryder. So everyone knows that despite the ridiculously drawn out process and continuing misinformation and innuendo they have had to deal with in the press and public sphere no one will be offering them deals and taking them off our hands for anything other than a premium.

If guys chose to walk at the end of their contract, like Crameri, then we may have to trade them for less than we would like.

He won't be playing for us next year, but I doubt he will be playing for Port either. GWS and GC could both compensate us properly and Ryder fits the needs of both, I suspect we are negotiating with both clubs and unless Port come up with something sensible he will end up at one of those two clubs.

Potentially. Still if he decides that he doesn't want to go to either then we can't trade him there. So there is a chance he won't be going anywhere.

Personally if I was Ryder I'd go to Gold Coast. Imagine a midfield with his speed in the ruck as well as Ablett, O'Meara and Prestia's speed as inside mids, Bennell and Martin rotating through the middle/wings and then Harbrow and McKenzie running off half back.

Easily get a trade done too. First round pick plus Matera, done.

oh god, please let this get resolved and all the bullshit stop? How long is the trad period again?

Weeks maaaaan. Essendon should do what Collingwood have done and put a time limit on it. Seeing Ryder's movement is now central to our whole strategy re draft and trades it needs to be sorted ASAP. Otherwise the situation re Winderlich, Fletch and Howlett gets crapper.

.... even trading Gussy to Port so they didn't lose FA compensation.

Oh cmon...dont throw that one out there. If we had chosen to take him as a fa you got nothing.
It was a strategic trade by both clubs. .. meaning both clubs won. We win because we saved a fa pick and you won because you got a pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back