eth-dog

Tier 1 WW Player
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
He averages over a goal a game for his career. Across 22 games 30 goals is not a high number.
If you look at his career, he's played the equivalent of 3 full seasons of an average of 29 goals a season.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan, Celtic
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/P/Peter_Wright.html .
he may perform better at a Better club ? but even if he doesnt Essendon got him rather cheap but by the time his contract ends the other forwards should have come through by then
we don't really have any. Unless one of the rucks (Bryan/Crauford) come on.
Jones from all reports is more your Gunston type than a CHF/FF.

Eyre might be one. Has tested strong but still raw.

We'd be earmarking Wright (FF), Stewart (CHF), Stringer (3rd tall) as our starting line up for some time.
Not unhappy though. Just need someone who isn't Tippa to play FF (a bit of a change in gameplan from Essendon of the last 10 years)

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Good get, we need a big body

Certainly some concerns around his impact as a KPF...seems a bit like Schache/Gorringe in that he has nice skills but isn't that aggressive, crash packs or take contested marks...which I assume is why his value is so low.

Still, for a 4th round pick and with GC paying some salary it's well worth the punt for Essendon and a good get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Not an awful trade for both sides really. GC get to slary dump, and Essendon need a forward.

Don't get why it took a week and a bit though!

00Stinger

100 - 7
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
Good deal for Essendon

What looked like a potential disaster for Essendon this trade period could and up turning out alright for them I feel

Jeremias

Sep 26, 2004
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not a huge fan but at that price this is a pretty good deal for the Bombers.

Soapy V

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Great deal for Bombers. Top pick for nothing and has real talent. I expect he is a late maturer and may yet fulfil potential. Great kick

iameviljez

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Feels like they de-aged McKernan by six years in return for a chump change pick. A good result for a serviceable player IMO.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Certainly some concerns around his impact as a KPF...seems a bit like Schache/Gorringe in that he has nice skills but isn't that aggressive, crash packs or take contested marks...which I assume is why his value is so low.

Still, for a 4th round pick and with GC paying some salary it's well worth the punt for Essendon and a good get.

Hmm Shache is sort of the opposite to Wright in the sense that he is a smart footballer but doesn’t seem to have the athleticism to beat AFL standard defenders. Whereas Wright looks lost out there at times and doesn’t use his size well enough.

Gorringe isn’t a bad comp but Wright has already far exceeded his career output

I guess the potential saving grace for Wright is if he doesn’t work out as a forward and his choice becomes no AFL career or ruck then he has the size and athleticism to provide value there.