Player Watch Pick #18 (2016) - Sam Powell-Pepper

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw this photo of The Rock in high school and thought, can you smell what the Shaker is cooking? ;)

635747156114679004-Dwayne-Johnson.png

Loved SPP today. Tried to fend off a brissie player but the tackle stuck but around the hips. A casual wiggle of the hips and SPP was free.

Just brilliant to watch

Looked to have that energy of the first few weeks back, reckon he shook off that knock he copped in the Showdown as he was up & about involved in a lot of passages of play, throwing his weight around & banging goals from outside 50.

I was surprised people were calling for him to rest in rd 5, unless he's injured or in dire need of a spell he should have no problem fast tracking his development much the same way Ollie did.

Its a shame Tom Clurey got in the way of SPP dealing with mitch robinson in his own way. ;)

He has some tidying up to do (maybe more decisiveness than plain skill errors), and an overall running intensity to lift a smidgen, and he could be anything. If not then we still have a very good player hehe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking, like Impey's and Amon's is much better when kicking for goal.

Conversely Polec and Pittard kick better in general play.

Yeah Pittard is a really weird one. He's a pretty good kick in general play but his shots on goal are usually well wide. Maybe it's because he tends to have a ping from outside 50 and they're fairly low percentage to begin with.

You just knew as soon as the ball came his way that he had his eyes on only one thing. Love a player with inate self belief. :thumbsu:
And the ability to execute goal kicking so well.

He seems a little (and I mean very little) fumbly on occasions at stoppage. Not Boak fumbly, but more that he is thinking about his next action (eg don't argue) before taking the footy in his hands completely. It's a minor, occasional thing, but when he removes it from his game, his clearance work will be even better. Frightening given his current clearance numbers.

This week Sam gets to show the Eagles just how much they will regret bypassing him in the draft. I'm expecting a 5 star performance because I reckon he'd still be dirty on that.

This week Sam gets to show the Eagles just how much they will regret bypassing him in the draft. I'm expecting a 5 star performance because I reckon he'd still be dirty on that.

I don't mind west Coast, but with something akin to beating up your brother, I hope he goes berserk. Then we can scout out the WC board with popcorn in hand waiting for the inevitable melt.

Season Rnd Versus K H D M HO T FF FA G B SC Rat W/L
2017 R6 Brisbane Lions 10 15 25 2 0 1 2 2 2 0 12 78 Win
2017 R5 Carlton 6 11 17 2 0 5 0 2 0 0 0 60 Win
2017 R4 GWS Giants 3 5 8 2 0 4 1 1 0 0 0 39 Loss
2017 R3 Adelaide 12 4 16 1 0 4 1 1 1 1 7 68 Loss
2017 R2 Fremantle 9 16 25 4 0 3 1 2 1 0 6 84 Win
2017 R1 Sydney 12 7 19 3 0 2 0 3 2 1 13 71 Win
Totals 52 58 110 14 0 19 5 11 6 2 38 400

Include 31 clearances and also the fact that he only had 1 against Adelaide and 3 against GWS, our two losses and you'll see his importance to us

You just knew as soon as the ball came his way that he had his eyes on only one thing. Love a player with inate self belief. :thumbsu:
Yep, nothing shits me more than a player who tries to thread the eye of a needle with a 40m pass when they only need to kick it 45m for a goal. When it's your turn to shoot you take it and I love that he just backs himself in and takes it.

Yep, nothing shits me more than a player who tries to thread the eye of a needle with a 40m pass when they only need to kick it 45m for a goal. When it's your turn to shoot you take it and I love that he just backs himself in and takes it.
Good point. This is one area that has improved significantly this year. Guys taking the responsibility of kicking the goal when in range.
No more stupid passes that get cut off from inside 40

Pictured: Sam Powell-Pepper at stoppages
tumblr_nliwymyovo1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg
People were saying they didn't like the way he was throwing his weight around trying to be an enforcer but I think it's the perfect role for him to develop into as we don't really have anyone in the Hardwick/Carr niggling hard at it role like we have in the past.

If he's already doing it at the age of 19 to players like Beams & putting them off their game imagine how good he'll be in the coming years once he plays more TOG & is taking it to the best in the comp each week.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back