Play Frampton now! not when Kanye West is elected US President

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been on the list now for three seasons

One year would've been fine
He is still a baby for a big man ... These skinny rucks are like stick insects when they first come to the club. The position he plays needs a big strong body, and some decent preseasons, and consecutive game time. All something he is just starting to get. Very happy to see him commit, and to see the clubs faith in his development. He doesnt have the pressure now, and can concentrate on his progress as a player..
161110_7eca481e149f56299914c70474fb9e2d.jpg

He's shown plenty this year. Should be playing AFL soon.

Why 2? Because losing him would be a mistake IMO.
Bingo. Imo he would not have been short of offers had he said nup to us. Freo? or WCE would have got a bargain.
His potential ceiling is high to very high and cutting your teeth in the sanfl is no piece of cake. Throw in his shins issues
and it's fair to say we've been patient and now rewarded with his decision. Aside from his footy talent he's an athlete too.
Quick for a big man. I've watched as much or more of Billy than anyone on this board and i'm rapt he's staying.

Because he is the second best number 1 ruckman on our list and Paddy Ryder is 29.
When Ladhams builds his physique I think he might shade Billy as a ruckman. It's not everybody's opinion but I reckon Billy
is an ideal CHB/CHF. What Jacko is doing now is what I think Billy is suited to.

He's been on the list now for three seasons

One year would've been fine

Depending on who you talk to, you get mixed views on Billy and whether he can be an AFL player of any substance.

To be fair, this is his first injury free year and has shown enough to persist with for another couple of years. I love his competitive spirit.

Hope I'm wrong but everything I've seen of him says to me

Not tall enough and not enough of a natural jumper to contend with the next era ruckman (gawn 211, English 208, lobb 205, 203 Grundy)
And not an actual forward

We used to get rid of blokes like French and Ackland.
I'm far more bullish about Howard for instance

Not tall enough and not enough of a natural jumper to contend with the next era ruckman (gawn 211, English 208, lobb 205, 203 Grundy)

We also hung onto French and Ackland just long enough to get games so that they had some currency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really happy we are hanging onto Billy for a few more years at least. Should have played the GWS game and after another (hopefully) injury free preseason should be playing regular football in 2018.
More suited as a forward who can spell the number one ruck.

Bingo. Imo he would not have been short of offers had he said nup to us. Freo? or WCE would have got a bargain.
His potential ceiling is high to very high and cutting your teeth in the sanfl is no piece of cake. Throw in his shins issues
and it's fair to say we've been patient and now rewarded with his decision. Aside from his footy talent he's an athlete too.
Quick for a big man. I've watched as much or more of Billy than anyone on this board and i'm rapt he's staying.

A reminder please on exactly what is his shin problem. Splints?

I've got him mentally at 198
Even if that's 200 that's still at least an inch behind where the trend is for someone who isn't a natural leaper

I think you're underrating his work around the ground. He may not be as tall as some of the giants in the league but he's agile around the ground and isn't shy about taking contested marks. He also has more mongrel in his little finger than those two ex-Port ruckmen you mentioned.

John Butcher was with us for 7 years, by the way.

Had a close look at Billy next to Lobbe in the trial game and he definitely looked taller than Matt. He could be 202cm now, it's not out of the ordinary for talls to continue to grow after they're recruited.

His ruck work has looked better as the year has progressed, like Lade has been putting some work into him. He moves around the ground like a ruck-rover and presents well as a tall marking target.

He really looks the ideal resting forward, second ruck option in the immediate future but as he fills out and builds the natural ruck core strength could become a solid first ruck.

I was a little worried how Port viewed him because they seemed reluctant to put him in the best players in a couple of games where I thought he stood out. Clearly they think he has a future and 2 years is fair enough in that case, given the development arc of young talls.

I understand what Jonts is saying. Right now as an around the ground ruck Frampton is doing well, up forward he's been ok, but in the actual ruck contests he's being hammered.

On that basis it's hard to understand where he fits for now, he clearly won't be a forward, but will he be able to develop his ruck craft to be good enough to play AFL? Guess only time will tell and for that reason signing him till 2019 makes sense.

In 2 years time he will have played a few games and be in a similar position to French and Ackland. We can see how our other rucks develop and make that decision then.

We will actually get more value for him then too.

Or he might develop into a gun ruck or CHF.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Keep in mind we also had Primus, Lade and Brogan back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back