List Mgmt. Player List Management 2019-20

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your assessment of the stats presented grossly under sells him. In the first two rounds he was lead ruck and back up ruck in rounds 5 and 6. How he did statistically also depended on how they used him, where they played him. They once tried him in the back lines which was a total waste. Still, most times he would have been in the best six on the ground. I think he did particularly well when used as a pure forward, occasionally helping out in ruck. Despite stuffing him around, still scored 32 goals in 11 games at SANFL and 3 goals in 2 AFL games.
I’m not underselling him at all, I’m just pointing out that when his form peaked he was selected, so there is every reason to believe he would have been selected when his form peaked a second time, if not for the suspension.

He should be dominating the SANFL. The AFL is a huge step up.

Yes, Ryder got played through s**t form but the fact is he plays a different role to Frampton and has a lot more runs on the board.

Yes there are different standards for Billy than smaller forwards, but the risk is higher in his role so we need to be confident he’s going to play well.

People think we just refused to play talls for no reason. The reason is our coaches believed they wouldn’t have enough impact or haven’t been up to AFL standard. I can’t say they are wrong about the latter, and don’t really have much reason to believe they are wrong about the former.

Our forward line has looked amazingly better late in the year with Marshall in form and Dixon playing better. This doesn’t mean our forward line would have been anything but a shambles with an out of form Marshall in it earlier.

Well if we play 2 ruckman then we could effectively already have 3 talls up forward with Dixon, Marshall and Ladhams/Hayes/Ryder. Adding Billy to that mix might be pushing it.

Not saying it’s definitely not going to happen, but it’s possible we won’t elect to play a forward line with 3 talls + the resting ruckman.

This means he would have to get ahead of Dixon or Marshall and he might decide to take his chances elsewhere. Obviously I hope he doesn’t.
No, definitely can't have 4 talls, but I'd prefer Dixon, Marshall and Frampton as the 3 talls, not a fan of resting ruckman in the forward lines as a permanent thing, it tends not to work. That's why I was wondering what the best lineup would be to give Lycett some ruck backup.

I guess Ryder got the nod because he rucks, we don't want Billy being used as the backup ruckman.
If Ryder's not around I'm not sure who gives Lycett the ruck chop out. I'm not sold on having both Lycett and Ladhams in the same side, I don't think Ladhams provides enough as a resting forward (not yet anyway). Not sure we can have Dixon, Frampton, Lycett, Ladhams and Westhoff in the same side. Interesting dilemma going into next season.
Many successful teams have used worse back up rucks that Frampton.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dixon and Marshall shouldn't present a problem, Billy should be in the side with them, at FF with Charlie at CHF and Marshall as the 3rd mobile tall.
The side is crying out for this sort of structure, but will Ken ever allow such common sense to creep into selection?
That’s the forward structure made in heaven, 3 talls named & placed as above and small forwards coming from the likes of Rozee, Butters, Motlop, Ebert, R & S Gray, Farrell, Pattmore, Woodcock and Cox. That’s 10 players filling 3-4 spots in the team. Bit of problem?

Did he get a 20 week suspension?

His form 1st half of the year was nothing special. 2nd half builds his game gets a couple then unlucky to get dropped but that happens. Gets suspension does nothing special first couple of games back would denand a game this week over Paddy if we had a game.

Met Billys mum a couple of weeks back was left with the impression we worry more about Billy's treatment than he does.

LOL, wow so we complain about this season but we are going to strip the list so we become Gold Coast!!

I would’ve rather seen us win 5-7 games this year pumping games into Marshall, Drew, Ladhams, Frampton, SPP, Howard, Farrell, Garner + the obvious trio than endure another year in the doomloop.

We gave Cam Sutcliffe 5 games this year and the media thinks we’re rebuilding.

What business did Broadbent have out there?

Why was Ryder picked for the Freo game and not Ladhams? Why did McKenzie get a gig over Dougal? When does the Sam Gray experiment finally end?

Rockliff and Motlop represent around $1,200,000 in dead cap for the next 2 seasons.

And what do we have, pick 9? pick 10?

It’s a mess.

I would’ve rather seen us win 5-7 games this year pumping games into Marshall, Drew, Ladhams, Frampton, SPP, Howard, Farrell, Garner + the obvious trio than endure another year in the doomloop.
We can't go back in time, but I doubt we'd have lost more games playing Marshall against Brisbane at the Gabba over S. Gray or leaving him in against Richmond over Spray. Or Frampton in with Marshall when Dixon was out over Sutcliffe, Johnson and Spray. Similarly leaving Wines out most of the year instead of forcing Boak to a HFF when he was fit (or juggling other ways to accommodate and look too slow). Jonas over Howard down back another. I'd back Howard would have given a more consistent year if every time he was dropped / moved forward it was instead Jonas out.

There'd be some more inconsistency, but I still think we'd have won at least two more games and be playing in September. Good old Ken and worst of all worlds though.

So what's the go with spp nose candy? Alcohol? Women all of the above?

His form 1st half of the year was nothing special. 2nd half builds his game gets a couple then unlucky to get dropped but that happens. Gets suspension does nothing special first couple of games back would denand a game this week over Paddy if we had a game.

Met Billys mum a couple of weeks back was left with the impression we worry more about Billy's treatment than he does.
His form in the first five games were consistently good, statistically 4, 6, 3, 2 and 6th best for Port at SANFL. He was BOG in the seventh game, then out of the best six until the last game where he was 2nd. His suspensions did hurt though.

The Advertiser is reporting that Ryder is going back to Victoria, with Essendon and Saints offering 2 year deals. Not sure what his worth will be. Probably a late 3rd, if not later.

Still think it is probably the best choice of ruck if Port were to trade one. But only if Frampton re-signs

I’ll put it out there. I’m excited By jack watts back. He was in some good form prior to his injury. No reason that Dixon/Frampton up forward, Marshall playing the Westhoff swing roll. That’s some good talks.

Watts won't play forward. Todd has already gone past him but he did look good back before injured. Think that's his future here as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we wanting Marshall to roam as opposed to developing as a proper key forward? His footy nous is great and he is a good kick by our standards for goal. He's also slowly putting on size and his frame suggests he will able to Play a Gunston type role across the forward line for the next decade.

Moving him around to roam wherever will only stunt his development imo.

Why are we wanting Marshall to roam as opposed to developing as a proper key forward? His footy nous is great and he is a good kick by our standards for goal. He's also slowly putting on size and his frame suggests he will able to Play a Gunston type role across the forward line for the next decade.

Moving him around to roam wherever will only stunt his development imo.
As far as I can see its because roaming gives him more opportunity to contribute given his relative strength deficiency when given close attention up forward, and the theory is he’ll develop better if he’s getting hands on the ball?

As far as I can see its because roaming gives him more opportunity to contribute given his relative strength deficiency when given close attention up forward, and the theory is he’ll develop better if he’s getting hands on the ball?

You develop best as a forward by playing as a forward. He is right on track in his development to be a very good key forward in the short future.

He also has very good vision under pressure.

Just two years ago. Now we're looking at moving both on. Wtf happened?

Kenny wants nice people to play in his team. Like Stepford Wives but 20-30yo footballers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back