Autopsy Rd 9 Review - Never Go Full Dockery

Remove this Banner Ad

Odd game, I tend to agree with the point that it’s not like freo was smashed all over the park like the score suggested, it’s that last 10% of polish that was the difference.

Ryan looked great, the side missed the drive of his blonde mate Young through the middle. Lack of marking in the forward line when the game mattered hurt as well.

We’re a 8 or there about side, few impressive parts but not an impressive unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, if only the classy forwards like Freddy or Jye could kick goals then. Can't blame Sonny tonight. Our class forwards contributed even less tonight because they don't even do the little things.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn't put Amiss or Freddy in the class category. Freddy in particular was drafted as an athlete, his best attribute is his pace.

How many of our forwards can anyone look at and say goal kicking is their best attribute?

FFS Switkowski was rated as Elite as a forward..... HE DOESNT KICK GOALS!

It was great we picked Amiss but we need to surround him with players who kick goals. Not just in the forward line but the mids too. There was one passage of play where it looked like no one wanted to take a ping at the goals. It's almost embarrassing.

JoM needs to go, he is a liability out there. We kick even 1 or 2 more in that patch early in the game where swans looked lethargic We could have pushed them. They look super classy and didn't really have to play that well to put us away once we dropped our heads with all the early misses.

I've got a bad feeling the wheels are about to fall off again.

I wouldn't put Amiss or Freddy in the class category. Freddy in particular was drafted as an athlete, his best attribute is his pace.

How many of our forwards can anyone look at and say goal kicking is their best attribute?

FFS Switkowski was rated as Elite as a forward..... HE DOESNT KICK GOALS!

It was great we picked Amiss but we need to surround him with players who kick goals. Not just in the forward line but the mids too. There was one passage of play where it looked like no one wanted to take a ping at the goals. It's almost embarrassing.

Amiss, Treacy and Walters.

Agree we badly need 2 more.

Meh, I’ll just let this one slide. As annoying as the conversion is it was also evident that majority of the players were elsewhere mentally. Yeah Swans’ pressure was immense and our skills can be up and down but it bordered on Auskick level last night and I kinda wish it rained heavily as initially predicted. At least it would have affected the Swans’ clinical kicking.

Still, goal kicking is clearly a massive issue and it comes down to playing too many “pressure” forwards and not enough accurate shots. You can’t just persist with that and wing it and hope for the best. It works great against teams that don’t put as much pressure or lesser skilled teams as we are clearly coached to keep passing the ball as close to the goal as possible (hence players still looking for options even from 40m) and that’s playing with fire as that often results in turnover.

We don't have many players that want to have a crack or are quick enough thinkers to kick goals ,they always seem to try and get it to a better position which usually results in a turnover. It's maddening

It's my pet hate this year

Fluffing around with these handballs that aren't to a player in a better position, just out of their hands so they don't have to have the accountability to kick on goal

Voss I like cos he goes, **** it, I'll have a crack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that was a footballing lesson.
Have we ever won a Friday night game?
Oscar Wilde one said 'The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about' and I think that is very relevant to football. Missing shots on goal, as bad as that is, is not as bad as not being able to have shots to take.
In an another universe we kick those goals. Unfortunately, as a Freo supporter, that universe seems to exist only in my mind.
Sydney were very good, their players kept the pressure on all night and they are well coached. They have size, speed and skill. They also had a bit of luck, and as the saying goes, 'I'd rather be lucky than good'.
This loss wasn't like the WC loss, that was really bad. Tonight we shat the bed when it mattered.
Good teams seem to have players that take turns in stepping up when it matters. We don't. Yet. We don't have that confidence. Yet. Our forward-midfield connection and our forward half finishing have been the same issues all year. We just need to train these scenarios over and over again.
A goal kicking mid and a quality small are what we need. Throwing the kitchen sink at a Jamie Elliot type would not be a bad idea.

A goal kicking mid and a quality small are what we need. Throwing the kitchen sink at a Jamie Elliot type would not be a bad idea.
This seems to be a dockers meme at this point , but I wonder if our game plan just doesn't allow those type of players to thrive? i.e. They have to run their guts out defensively so are never going to be in offensive positions and are always going to be exhausted and missing shots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. The clubs resistance to investing in our forward line has irritated me for a while.

Walters is on his last legs, we need to take our 3 picks to the draft and commit to securing goal kickers.
Unfortunately it is a poor draft to do it.

Hopefully some rise up the draft board and our picks are not tightly grouped.

It was one of those weird games that gets thrown up (probably by some cosmic space dog who then proceeded to eat up the mess and crap it out again) every now and then. We actually held the upper hand for large parts of the game, just not on the scoreboard. Things fell apart to horrible degrees as effort didn't match reward.

Laying in bed last night, Can McCarthy was stuck in my head. What a loss.

Unfortunately it is a poor draft to do it.

Hopefully some rise up the draft board and our picks are not tightly grouped.

Wonder if we can get creative then. Offer our highest 1st rounder back to whichever finishes higher in exchange for next year's 1st.

Collingwood or Port may be dumb enough to go for it.

Remember when the 2013 team were exposed by a precision kicking, retain possession team in Hawthorn in the GF (and every other time we played them in that period).

We had Swan's measure in defence and general play for long periods of tonights game. It wasn't pressure we lacked it was skill. The way they cut us to pieces with precision kicking and impeccable finishing.

It's skill we lack, not effort or intent. Guys like Warner, Gulden, Heeney who are precision kicks and forwards/mids who take their chances around goal. We don't have a single player who could have kicked the goals Warner & Hayward did tonight or anyone who can kick through a zone like Gulden.
Look I don’t disagree with you to be honest. I was comparing our side to freo 2013, not hawks 2013 who as you say would slice this team apart because they simply have/had better players than us back then.

You are correct about us lacking skill, not effort. But isn’t that worrying in its own right? Do we have the cattle? It would appear not right now, certainly in the forward line and in the goalkicking mids area.

The issue is Switta, Emmett, Banfield and Voss are all not good enough for various reasons. They try their best but they are fringe role players. One was delisted and an SSP selection. One was from the rookie list. One was pick 73. One was pick 41 as a mature ager.
The usuals will come in and say “oh but Makhov and Frampton won a flag last year and they are spuds too”.
They were surrounded by more elite talent than us.
Frederick is a solid AFL player, a good young player but not in the top 200 in the comp.
Amiss is a young star but going though a rough patch. The only player we started last night in the forward line taken in the top 40 of the national draft.
Treacy - another promising youngster. But a rookie that we have struck it lucky with it appears.

None of the three players (amiss, Treacy and Frederick) are AA or even in our top 8 most valuable players. They are however long term players than should be here for the next decade all going well.

We don’t have a critical mass of talent in the forward line. Guys are working their asses off and even moving ok but the hardest thing in the game is to put the ball between the sticks, and most of them aren’t consistent enough at it.

If we had a couple of AA players in the forward line you might get away with the likes of Switta Emmett and Banners being mixed in with them. But we don’t, so we won’t get away with these guys.

Unfortunately I think we need to return to the draft in 2024 and select three forwards in the first round.
I’d kill for an Ollie Henry type. You can get them in the teens and they impact early too.
If Sturt can get fit, we have got to play him. Simpson/delean - let’s have a look.

This was so predicable. A 5 day break and Cam McCarthy contributed to a performance which lacked any mental engagement from the team.

The team looked off the whole night and our pressure rating showed that.

I'm not sure there's much to be taken out of the game, but what I do know is that when a coach says "Mid-forward Connection", I know he means "Our forwards were s**t".

We lost by 50 points and the game was over before half time.
On what parallel universe did our gameplan stand up to them?
How many times were we turned over, our handball happy gameplan was brutally exposed again.
All it takes is a good team, with their pressure on elite (over 200 on that fox footy metric thing they have) and we will fold like a deck of cards if we persist with this gameplan.
Remember the 2013 prelim v Sydney when we demolished them with a display of ferocious pressure and tackling that has rarely been seen at AFL level.
That particular dockers team would beat this current outfit playing the gamestyle they brought tonight, by over 100 points.

This is why. Our ability to finish was the only thing missing from us being competitive against the top side.

We don't have many players that want to have a crack or are quick enough thinkers to kick goals ,they always seem to try and get it to a better position which usually results in a turnover. It's maddening

Personally I think it’s coached.

Most afl players would know when they cross 50m to hit the goals.

We constantly try to hit the short pass. Kick into the pockets / flanks. It happens to often not to be set play. I think we give only 1-2 players “license” to ping at goals. Which is stupid.

The counter argument is you can set up defensively from a mark inside 50m to retain the ball in your front half. Longmuir is extremely defensively minded and part of that would be having the right set up when we go inside 50m.

You can analyse all you want about our gameplan, handballing, delivery, McCarthy blues, coaching, whatever. But when you convert like this, there's nothing much else that matters.

Yes, we have some battlers with no polish that drive me insane and I want Sturt/Simpson in the side for some more class in the forward half. But the ones missing easy set shots included Amiss, Jackson, Voss, Treacy, Frederick. They are supposed to be our most reliable kicks at goal, and even they fluffed their lines. It was just one of those nights.

Edit: looks like you sort of beat me too it Taylor, but I've at least got the full time instead of 3/4 expected score.

I didn't watch the whole thing because I didn't really feel like it, tbh. From what I did see, it honestly looked like one of those perfect storms where everything we touched in the front half turned to **** and everything they touched turned to gold. Their wild snaps go through, ours go OOF.

Part of that is the way both teams play, but you could re-run that 20 times and we only lose like that once.

I still don't think we'll play finals though, because this is hardly isolated and our draw is rough for 14th. If JL wants to play like this, you need those pressure players to have some finishing class because the nature of our games means we don't get easy looks.

It probably gets better when we mature, but I think our best case scenario is probably similar to the Dees.

I didn't watch the whole thing because I didn't really feel like it, tbh. From what I did see, it honestly looked like one of those perfect storms where everything we touched in the front half turned to **** and everything they touched turned to gold. Their wild snaps go through, ours go OOF.

Part of that is the way both teams play, but you could re-run that 20 times and we only lose like that once.

I still don't think we'll play finals though, because this is hardly isolated and our draw is rough for 14th. If JL wants to play like this, you need those pressure players to have some finishing class because the nature of our games means we don't get easy looks.

It probably gets better when we mature, but I think our best case scenario is probably similar to the Dees.

We badly need a Petrecca like player, who can make up for our s**t forward line. At least we do have Amiss, and Treacy looks good but no Pickett. (Probably about even with Melbourne at the moment)

This draft is massive.

If we can add some forward class, and outside class and speed in the midfield then we will good.

If we miss 2 of our 3 picks, or there are no forwards at our picks and we are either forced to reach for a forward too early, or go another mid.

We badly need a Petrecca like player, who can make up for our s**t forward line. At least we do have Amiss, and Treacy looks good but no Pickett. (Probably about even with Melbourne at the moment)

This draft is massive.

If we can add some forward class, and outside class and speed in the midfield then we will good.

If we miss 2 of our 3 picks, or there are no forwards at our picks and we are either forced to reach for a forward too early, or go another mid.
Lol we need players ready to go now not propping up Peel for another two or three years while our current group of players years are wasted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back