AFL Autopsy Rnd 9: 46 Point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Not making excuses, stating the facts. If you were at the game you'd see Zac was regularly getting work done on his calf which he strained at training. He was still far and away our best contested player and one of the best users going forward despite regularly being sold out by team mates dishing him hospital handpasses. Try watching the game again.

His primary opponent was clearly best on the ground - That's a fact.

His primary opponent was clearly best on the ground - That's a fact.

There haven't been direct opponents in the midfield the way you're insinuating since we were winning finals. That's a fact.

That aside, Steven received blocks and assistance from mature players around him, which was most evident at centre bounces. All Zac received today were hospital handballs and rub downs from the physios. He mightn't have played a blinder like he did last week, but the fact you're shitting on Zac for his game shows just how comfortable you are in the armchair miles away from what is actually going on.

Focusing on the positives (not many of them)

- Kelly is playing career best football at 33 after having being delisted
- Dea is a AFL standard player, and will be playing AFL next year
- Daniher & Brown kicking 6 between them
- Thought Ambrose was very solid bar that one kick off the ground across from goal. Just looked comfortable playing in defence.

Strongly disagree about Kelly. Well past his prime but is smart enough and just has enough in his legs to still be very bloody good playing in defence. Would struggle if he had to play on the ball all day like he used to, IMO.

Has to do with management. Just not management of the list variety.
That's one way of putting it.

But yeah, we aren't missing Hurley, Hooker and Hibberd (and hell, Pears if you want to include depth) because of list management...

That's one way of putting it.

But yeah, we aren't missing Hurley, Hooker and Hibberd (and hell, Pears if you want to include depth) because of list management...
A slightly different point but it's more obvious why Gleeson's been struggling this year when you consider the loss of those three (four) plus Carlisle, Fletcher Bags (now forward) and Dempsey (suspended then injured) from our defence. Gleeson's simply not getting the protection and guidance he's had over the last 3 or so years and it shows.

if we took our chance in the first half we could have been in front.

And if st.kilda capitalised on the amount of ball in their front half we could have been 8 goals down.

Ie there is no ifs in sport.

That was bad. Polinghorne, McKenna and Bird spudded it up.
Polkinghorne was out there?
Im starting to wonder if Bird gets a game next year as well.

Watson, Hocking, Myers, Howlett,
Plus Laverde when fit.

+ves
4 goals from Brown. He is a smart footballer and if we can get him 1 out with defenders, i think he can do enough damage. Adds a dimension missing from our forward line...someone I'm not nervous about having the ball in their hands
Tippa. Again
Merrett. We have an elite inside mid on our hands. His ball use and composure in traffic, and knack for being in the right place at the right time, is going to be some weapon when you add Heppell back into this side.
Fantasia and Redman have something about them too. Always looking to run to space and be the breakaway runners. If we kept tight around the contests yesterday, their positioning and pace could been the difference.
Bags battling. Will need a rest at some point, but he is going to be a welcome addition to our leadership group.

Things that didn't help.
Goddard had a mare. Just didn't seem to come off for him.
Hartley was exposed by our backline again. Can't wait to see him play alongside Hurley and Hooker.
Bird, Polkinghorne, Ambrose, McKenna - no impact.

Sorry Steven didn't get near the ball in the first half.
?

I didn't say that.

I stated that Zach was off the ground a fair bit in the second half. Again, that's fact.

Steven had a great game; of course he did.

Strongly disagree about Kelly. Well past his prime but is smart enough and just has enough in his legs to still be very bloody good playing in defence. Would struggle if he had to play on the ball all day like he used to, IMO.

This idea that Kelly is in career best form is silly. Nevertheless, he has shown that he still has a bit to give. In fact I've been wondering whether Geelong stuffed up in getting rid of both Johnson and Kelly; given they are a chance at winning the premiership those two would have almost certainly helped them get there.

I thought Steven had a fair bit of it in the first half. Pretty sure they showed a graphic during the game that he had a pretty even game, kicked a goal in the first half too.

Positives-
Walla, his disposal is actually incredible. Something happens every time he gets the ball.
Ambrose- Thought he had a relatively solid game. Really good run down tackle at one stage that would have been a certain goal. Would have like him to have been put on riewoldt up the ground, make him work a bit harder for his disposals.
Joe- Looks a much better player when he is roaming, thought he has been doing relatively ok in the ruck. Started the game off well with a great set shot too, a good building game.
Bags- Would happily have this guy as captain or as Vice next year. Gives his all week after week.

Main Negative-
Smashed in the clearances. From what I saw it was from minute 1 to the end of the game. We just couldn't win them. It would go our way through a tap or knock on. Our players swarm forward and then just a little tap or hand pass through and they are away. Really dissapointing that we couldnt arrest this at all throughout the game. Something to work on during the week though.

Positives:
- it's over
- it's already erased from my foxtel box
- TIPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAA- it's nice to have someone in our defensive half who can kick
- Parish's competitiveness and will to get to every contest
- there's only 13 games left

Negatives:
- BJ's half efforts and sloppy ball use
- confusing umpiring (does prior opp exist still or did I make it up?)
- lack of clearance winners
- Adam Cooney having the tools to be Jack Steven (explosiveness from contests etc) but not being Jack Steven
- Hartley had a shocker although he's been good so happy to excuse
- Gwilt's astoundingly slow decision making and tendency to mark or receive the ball running to his right side so he needs to do a queen Mary turn to get back on his left
- McKenna, needs to drop back to the VFL for consistency
- Polkinghorne - what does he offer?
- probably some other s**t but I stopped caring

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never left a game so disappointed
You surely can't be serious, mate.

Not with all the dross we've served up over the past decade with an actual, you know, full strength side.

You really need to adjust your expectations and just expect nothing at all this year. It's simply not worth the stress of expectation this year.

So many useless kicks. It's always better to kick to a 50-50 rather than a 0%. Sometimes I wonder what education they're getting internal and external.
It mayb a communication problem on ground, I know there's blind spots.

You surely can't be serious, mate.

Not with all the dross we've served up over the past decade with an actual, you know, full strength side.

You really need to adjust your expectations and just expect nothing at all this year. It's simply not worth the stress of expectation this year.

I have.

Look I don't mind losing its the way we lose that irritates me also the basics annoy me like not being able to execute a hand ball or kick to a team mate under no pressure.

So many useless kicks. It's always better to kick to a 50-50 rather than a 0%. Sometimes I wonder what education they're getting internal and external.

So many useless hand balls and kicks that go no where especially in the back half. The only player who creates and moves the ball forward with purpose is Tippa.

I genuinely felt during the week we were a good chance at winning this game and at half time it looked we were on track.

that second half was just putrid.

Despite it being close for over a half I never felt we were likely to win; more the case that we were dragging them down to our level and it was a matter of time before they kicked away.

Despite it being close for over a half I never felt we were likely to win; more the case that we were dragging them down to our level and it was a matter of time before they kicked away.

Your right mate I'm just hoping at some point during the season it all clicks and we actually string a full 4 qrts together.

giphy.gif

I genuinely felt during the week we were a good chance at winning this game and at half time it looked we were on track.

that second half was just putrid.

The first half wasn't any better than the second the only difference was the Saints played better in the second half..

I actually think it will do the opposite.

A year off will have them physically/mentally refreshed and hungry to play.
exactly... players miss seasons all the time with big injuries like ACL's, they actually spend a year away from training all together and some still come back good...

These guys get to train for a year and not have the physical toll on their bodies of 22 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back