Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a concern for Australian fans that there isn't any immediate back up to Lyon in test cricket of similar quality?

Is it a concern for Australian fans that there isn't any immediate back up to Lyon in test cricket of similar quality?

They don’t grow on trees and if it comes to it play 4 quicks. Head can roll his arm over. Not as if England have great spinners anyway

Lyon probably has four to five years of Test cricket left in him which is plenty of time for the next crop of spinners to find their feet (Zampa, Agar and Boyce will all be in the 29-33 bracket by that time which I think is generally when spinners come into their own), so I don't think it's a pressing concern right now, and I think the prospects are better than when the time came to replace Warne.

I do think O'Keefe was a worthy second-option, although unfortunately his personal issues have made him unselectable.

Lyon probably has four to five years of Test cricket left in him which is plenty of time for the next crop of spinners to find their feet (Zampa, Agar and Boyce will all be in the 29-33 bracket by that time which I think is generally when spinners come into their own), so I don't think it's a pressing concern right now, and I think the prospects are better than when the time came to replace Warne.

I do think O'Keefe was a worthy second-option, although unfortunately his personal issues have made him unselectable.
I'm not convinced any of those three will be good long form bowlers. Nor does anyone else come to mind. And in the short term it is a worry if Lyon gets injured.
I know Warne talks up Swepson, and while he spouts some crap with his favourites he is also likely to spot something most of us don't. As yet, I don't see it.

Burns, Bancroft, Harris, Patterson, Head, Wade and even Lagsbehind all performed, good for competition.

The only key bats so far that have basically failed are Pucovski and Renshaw.

I'm not convinced any of those three will be good long form bowlers. Nor does anyone else come to mind. And in the short term it is a worry if Lyon gets injured.
I know Warne talks up Swepson, and while he spouts some crap with his favourites he is also likely to spot something most of us don't. As yet, I don't see it.
The last spinner he talked into the Test team was Michael Beer. Warne is so compromised by non-cricket stuff in his opinions of people his opinions are essentially useless.

For comparisons sake, here is Lyon's stats at around Agar's age, was adjusting well to Test cricket but FC stats were pretty much the same (math agility isn't up to par to tell how they compare if you take out the Tests), although of course that's not to say Agar will make it. Do agree we're banking on Lyon being robust for the time being though.: https://web.archive.org/web/2013020...info.com/australia/content/player/272279.html

Last edited:
The last spinner he talked into the Test team was Michael Beer. Warne is so compromised by non-cricket stuff in his opinions of people his opinions are essentially useless.

For comparisons sake, here is Lyon's stats at around Agar's age, was adjusting well to Test cricket but FC stats were pretty much the same, although of course that's not to say any of them well make it. Do agree we're banking on Lyon being robust for the time being though.: https://web.archive.org/web/2013020...info.com/australia/content/player/272279.html

It's interesting to compare those numbers to his current numbers
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/272279.html

Average is about the same, Strike rate is slightly better and economy rate is slightly worse. If you just went off that you could make the argument that he hasn't really improved in his last 6 years of Test Cricket.

nathan lyon had a long history of being rubbish in shield cricket and tour matches. his south australia average was over 50 and while it was never that bad for NSW, he still was outperformed by o'keefe for seasons when they played together, and when nsw started picking somerville there were times he was the third best performed shield spinner in nsw's set-up. last season marked a turnaround for him though.

edit i should add that this isn't different to nathan hauritz, who had a similarly dire shield record and performed perfectly fine for aus.

I would take Jackson Bird , is fit and bowling extremely well with the DUKE
Hazelwood and Starc have not performed any good in England ,and are at the end of there careers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would take Jackson Bird , is fit and bowling extremely well with the DUKE
Hazelwood and Starc have not performed any good in England ,and are at the end of there careers

End of their careers is a bit harsh.

Btw if you are going to criticise people on spelling, grammar or pronunciation make sure you get your own spot on!

For comparisons sake, here is Lyon's stats at around Agar's age, was adjusting well to Test cricket but FC stats were pretty much the same (math agility isn't up to par to tell how they compare if you take out the Tests), although of course that's not to say Agar will make it. Do agree we're banking on Lyon being robust for the time being though.: https://web.archive.org/web/2013020...info.com/australia/content/player/272279.html

I have faith in Agar and O'Keefe as reasonable back up spinners. They'd both do the job if given the same sort of leeway Lyon had.

Tremain took 3, Neser currently has 2-fa and made 75 not out (although was clearly caught behind on 38 given not out) as far as the competition for the 5th bowler is concerned.

Rate Neser so much more than Stoinis. Honestly do not get the love for MS.
Stoinis the better bat, Neser probably isn't good enough to be top 7 in test cricket. Neser more in conversation to be behind Starc/Cummins/Hazlewood/Richardson

Better bat? Really?
Yep. Don't get me wrong, Neser is more than solid, but the guy hasn't made a FC ton, averages significantly lower than Stoinis and doesn't bat above 7 in FC cricket. Stoinis has batted literally everywhere in FC cricket.

It's great seeing some of the batsmen in contention score runs. My only concern is only one Bancroft (some pending) really went on with it and again, the bowling quality of our domestic competition comes into question when you consider the bowlers not playing in this round of the Sheffield Shield. Considering this all aspiring bats should be making good scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back