Recommitted Rory Lobb [trade is off, staying at Fremantle]

Remove this Banner Ad

we can fit him but he isn’t worth the money.
Not saying cap isn’t getting up there but we also are going to pay him 700k.

and as for trade we are so far apart it isn’t funny. Still can’t see this one getting through.
I agree.

Fremantle got Lobb because we over pay for him. Giants rightly don't want to pay that sort of money.

Dockers don't want to pay a percentage of Lobb's wage unless it benefits in draft assets.

Giants have pick 2, 13, 53 plus F1, F2, F3 and whatever you get for Hill.

Picks 2,13,F1 is too much for Lobb and 53, F2, F3 is not enough.

The Wingard trade may or may not assist with the Lobb trade.

Freo offload Lobb's entire remaining 1.4 million contract to Hawthorn for pick 35 (or picks to that value). Haw immediately pay him 200k on a 1 day contract. On trade the remaining 1.2 million.

Hawthorn trade him to GWS for pick 30, banking 5 spots in the order for the 200k pay out.

Lobb turns the remaining 2 years for 1.2 million on his deal in to 3 years at 450k, knowing he's probably sacrificed about 150k (less after tax) if he had gotten a 300k 1 year deal by staying at Freo.

Everyone's happy (enough). GWS can justify pick 30 given the appropriate salary. Freo can justify pick 35 and saving a heap of money on a player who just isn't worth it, that they can then spend on free agents or frontloading. Hawthorn just happy to move up the draft using cash they had spare to spend anyway.

None of the above is legal or likely, just thinking about it as a thought exercise.
So are GWS and Hawthorn actually trying to make this happen some how?

Please credit me, Tommy Morris

One of the key roadblocks in discussions around Lobb is who pays him if he gets to the Giants. The Dockers will reject any push to pay a portion of his salary, leading to GWS considering whether a third club – such as Hawthorn – could subsidise some of Lobb’s salary.

The AFL permits trades of players and draft picks and allows clubs to pay for players of opposition teams (such as Melbourne with Jack Watts when he went to Port Adelaide and Adam Treloar at the Dogs), but it would be unusual for a club not directly involved in a trade to help ease the salary cap burden.

Lobb wants every cent of his contract (rightfully so) bit Freo aren’t willing to pay any of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobb wants every cent of his contract (rightfully so) bit Freo aren’t willing to pay any of it.

Fair enough from both camps. I said it at the time, I don't see why Freo would have been interested in paying any of Lobb's wages unless they got a stupid return in trade value, which never seemed likely or practical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back