Preview Round 19, 2021: West Coast v St.Kilda - Optus Stadium, Saturday 24th July, 4:35PM AEST *SHARMAN DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Eagles

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Saints

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can tell by training and game sense is uncoordinated & slow to react, would get monstered by KF.

Keplar Bradley like qualities?

The good thing about injuries is always that we get a look at inexperienced guys. After this week:

Clavarino: 3 games
Hunter: 5 games
Connolly: 5 games
Joyce: 8 games
Highmore: 10 games
Byrnes: 13 games
Bytel: 14 games

And the only ones we don't know anything about are Allison, Alabakis, Heath, Sharman.

Puts us in a really good position to make calls on all 7 of those guys who've played this year. Based on what we've seen, I reckon:

Clavarino: probably one more year to prove himself
Hunter: gone
Connolly: lock him in long term
Joyce: probably one more year as backup
Highmore: lock him in long term
Byrnes: lock him in long term
Bytel: give him another couple of years to see how he develops

Great to be able to make all those calls fairly easily, it's the silver lining in a frustrating season.
Absolutely agree. It’s a great situation for us to be in compared to previous years when we had blokes like Murdoch, Saunders, White, Wright etc and just kept them on the list for the sake of having extra kids.

You can just tell that of the inexperienced players we’ve seen at AFL level 90% should work out well. Verdicts out on Joyce and Clav but they’ve played well when in the team unlike Jackson Ferguson.

it’s a good sign when we’re prepared to play Clav instead of rushing Frawley back. In years gone past we’d have rushed back Luke Delaney or Nathan Brown instead of playing a younger player.

Don't think it's 90%, imo about 50%, but that's a pretty solid ratio.
I said of the ones exposed to AFL level, so that doesn’t include Alison, Sharman, Heath.

Ive never been more confident in kids like Highmore, Byrnes, Bytel and Connolly making it. Still think one of Joyce or Clav can at least become a serviceable backup going forward, they’re still only 24 & 22 respectively.
To put into perspective, Higmore and Wilkie both Debuted as 23yr olds. Even McGovern debuted at 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said of the ones exposed to AFL level, so that doesn’t include Alison, Sharman, Heath.

Ive never been more confident in kids like Highmore, Byrnes, Bytel and Connolly making it. Still think one of Joyce or Clav can at least become a serviceable backup going forward, they’re still only 24 & 22 respectively.
To put into perspective, Higmore and Wilkie both Debuted as 23yr olds. Even McGovern debuted at 22

The older players have a higher strike rate generally. The players are getting called a lot earlier these days. we let go Young, Parker, Hind, Phillips despite having only a few picks in most of those drafts. We don't seem to hang on to players under Satan. They cull hard so the players left tend to be the best of them. Clav and Joyce might be lucky that so much deadwood needs trimming and we don't have masses of picks. They are the types that usually get culled.

You can tell by training and game sense is uncoordinated & slow to react, would get monstered by KF.

I would say that any new player would need time to adjust to the speed and intensity of an AFL game.
That's why it's best not to chuck the baby out with the bathwater too early.
It took #1 pick BJ Goddard a few years if I remember correctly.

Is hanners training the house down back in Melbourne?
Moving as well as I’ve ever seen him.

Nek Minnit...

dFybnn5.jpg

Steele is in for the ol jack steven treatment.

Opposition sit on him and win the game in a canter.
That's the problem when you are a 1 man team
Doesn't seem to be working this year, guys the highest rated player in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back