Review Round 22: Dees v Big Jack's Hacks: the Good, the bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

lol, Seriously, step back into reality sometime.

Big Footy didnt make us lose today.
Did I say it did? We lost because we were outplayed, outcoached and outsmarted. Carlton focused on our strengths for the past month and smashed us in areas we've been solid in all year such as contested possessions.

You can't tell me mentally the players were the same approaching this game as the Hawthorn game?

The last time I left a job, I had to give two weeks notice, and within seven minutes of doing that I'd already e-mailed my colleagues with half-arsed instructions for all the tasks I was responsible for before I finished. Well **** me sideways, it turns out I'm Paul ****in' Roos!

"Hey Roosey, it says here we drop someone for Viv Mitchie, are you sure about that?" "Yeah whatever it says in the e-mail sorry mate, I'm just a bit busy making sure I fit into this hula skirt before I head to Waikiki"

c19a27675b8ced03029e73711035fb62.jpg

Ever wondered what sort of campaigner buys those $600 commemorative framed posters that clubs rattle off whenever some vaguely important milsetone is reached? That's my mum's boyfriend Moustafa, he's got an entire "man-cave" plastered wall to ceiling with s**t-tier ****in' Carlton posters which I'm sure he's luxuriating in right ******* now, the ******* prick. He's the sort of reprehensible turd that starts sentences with "I'm not a racist but..." and defends people like Eddie McGuire.

Well **** Eddie McGuire, **** Moustafa, **** Roos, **** Carlton, **** everyone.

Seriously who the **** thought giving Mitchie a game was a good idea.

When did we get him? His game was better than at least 15 of his team mates. 1 turnover from 20 compared to Petraccas 12 out of 21 but yeah he cost us the game.

- That felt worse than losing by 100. Biggest game in a decade (as pathetic as that is) and we didn't show up mentally, intensity was apparently optional and decision making was as bad as it's been all year. You could rationalise a loss if Carlton played brilliantly or something but they were just decent at best - we lost this game through poor effort and worse decision making.
- Obvious in hindsight but selection was woeful. Weid will be a player but no way should he have been out there today ahead of Pedo in a game that mattered. Please let's never see ANB as a small forward again, he's useless there. Why play Michie at all? Seemed like we were giving him a game to decide whether or not we should axe him, which makes sense usually for us at round 22 but not this year when we were still alive...
- We have too many blokes who overrate their kicking, trying to hit 55m switch kicks that need to thread the needle. Nothing wrong with knowing your limitations. Also why switch in when it was pissing down raining when it was no guarantee that even if you made the kick it would open the play up?
- Don't care how many touches Tyson had he was rubbish today.
- Took us half a game to realise that Gibbs was tearing us apart and put a little bit of body on him at stoppages. People might put that down to the coaches but I'd hoped our players would pick up on that themselves during the first quarter.
- Not convinced AVB offers enough. Sure it's nice to see him drop blokes after they've just kicked it but I don't think you can play AFL on that alone.
- Desperately need better ball users in our back half.
- Also of concern is that a lot of our gun younger players have suspect kicking - Petracca, Hogan, Oliver. Tyson and Viney aren't great either.
- How many inside 50s did we butcher? Felt like it was just about every player in the team who screwed at least one up, kicking to their loose. Dumb football. Didn't help that Weid obviously doesn't have the tank to give an option enough of the time (not his fault, shouldn't have been picked) and Watts had a poor game after copping that whack to the face in the first quarter. Hogan probably needed to realise that we needed him to stay home more which I suppose he was better at in the last.
- How come we didn't play a man off the back of the square at centre bounces until the last quarter? Had worked so well for us the last month and we were flogged in the centre clearances until we started doing it again.
- Umps killed us. Even though it wasn't the difference still did my head in.
- Too often we failed to put a body on Jones and Casboult. All they can do is clunk marks when they get a running jump at it but apparently we didn't realise that.
- Our leaders didn't stand up especially early when a lot of our guys were playing like headless chooks. Could have really used Jones or Bernie to stamp their influence and lead the way but it never materialised.
- Probably a lot more things but hopefully I'll never watch a replay of that game or I might have an aneurysm. Most frustrating day at the footy in a long time, you just wouldn't believe our players or coaches had anything to play for the way they went at it today.

Eeesh, I did not put any money on this game because I was so worried about this. I mean it is sooooooo classic Melbourne (and Richmond supporters think they have it hard).

I have only missed two games this season, that is the Carlton and Essendon games. And like the Don's game based on feedback in this forum, I am not watching the reply on AFL Live pass.

Eeesh, I did not put any money on this game because I was so worried about this. I mean it is sooooooo classic Melbourne (and Richmond supporters think they have it hard).

I have only missed two games this season, that is the Carlton and Essendon games. And like the Don's game based on feedback in this forum, I am not watching the reply on AFL Live pass.
I had money on this game. On Carlton at $5. Free money

Ok, I'm going for my THIRD attempt at a reasonable, level-headed deconstruction of the travesty I just witnessed.

Good
* Hogan either demonstrated what we're not going to miss when he pisses off to Perth, OR, by virtue of his last month, has reduced his next contract considerably
* I can change my plans of being horrendously disappointed next week.
* No finals means a bunch of useless campaigners/personal favourites just earned themselves a farewell game.
* Thankfully that doesn't include Mitchie because he already had his.
* It's nice to remember what it's like to be a Melbourne supporter, I almost forgot for a second.

Bad
* Sat next to a bunch of tourists, one of them being this French guy who didn't know the rules and kept asking annoying questions all through the first half. then after the break he started letting off these rank farts and bronx cheering the Dees, i mean this guy didn't even know the rules at midday and by 3pm he's giving it to Melbourne supporters while practically shitting his pants. What the *.

Ugly
* Handballing to stationary players
* Kicking to opposition players
* Hideous decision making by the players, coaches, selection committee...
* I didn't notice Brayshaw.
* I only noticed Petracca because he ****ed up a lot.
* Hogan's strategy of marking outside 50 then either kicking to a contest or fudging the kick is giving me grey hairs
* Jesus Christ I could probably go on all night
* BERNIE VINCE OH MY GOD I ALMOST FORGOT BERNIE ******* VINCE WHAT THE * WAS THAT
* Playing on when you're about to be tackled, I mean it happened more than once, how is that even possible.
* Melbourne players having the same opinion of Jack Watts as bigfooty circa 2012, I mean he leads well and he's our best kick of goal but he gets ignored. WHAT THE *.
* Slow, disinterested, etc. etc. etc.

Ok thanks I feel better now.

Good: didn't see the game.

Fugly: 20 free kicks to 5 - can someone explain the umpiring to me?

Also, I hope the loss and no chance of finals burns the players as much as it has burnt us supporters. Who am I kidding, they probably don't give a s**t.

More fugly:

Losing to teams we're better than. I don't mind losing to clubs around us on the ladder or getting absolutely creamed by a contender, but copping losses to shitcampaigners like Essendon and Carlton twice in a season sucks ass, I'm sick of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: hunt tried to make things happen
Jetta taking many intercept marks

Bad: players calling for handball when in no position to receive the ball (Vince)

Ugly: vince's decision making with and without the ball.
Kicking at goal. So many missed opportunities
VDBs handball to Gawn in the goal square
Mids beaten to the ball all day. Centre clearance count was very lopsided
We scored 53 out of 58 from turnovers, meaning we couldn't generate any sort of play without the help of Carlton turning it over

Essendon, now Carlton. This is the players in the leadership group problem. Feel the group needs to get togather couple days before we play anyone below us on the ladder in future, and address pre-game tactics, warmer up, motivation and make sure every player is switch on. Coach can only do so much.

Not sure why the focus is on the changes made to the team. Blues had plenty of their best 22 out, plenty of injuries that should have completely destroyed their structure. The fact is the effort was simply not there. The players didn't work hard enough or communicate. Their heads were not in the game at all. Our players weren't running enough, they weren't helping each other, and when they had the ball in hand their decision making was woeful.

Not sure why the focus is on the changes made to the team. Blues had plenty of their best 22 out, plenty of injuries that should have completely destroyed their structure. The fact is the effort was simply not there. The players didn't work hard enough or communicate. Their heads were not in the game at all. Our players weren't running enough, they weren't helping each other, and when they had the ball in hand their decision making was woeful.

Absolutely, I think not having Pedo was bad for structure though.

Weid was lost and was very rarely down the line for a bail out kick.

Carlton were well organized, communicated well from the start and executed their plans (particularly around nullifying Gawn, who was poor).

We had a really good patch in the last 5 weeks but this was the opposite of how we've been playing.

Absolutely, I think not having Pedo was bad for structure though.
Fair to say there was a lot that went wrong but this especially was a bad selection mistake. Weed was underdone to the extent that he looked exhausted 10 minutes in. His inability to run and create contests heaped pressure on the other forwards, Hogan especially. The forward line was basically dysfunctional today. Pedo is the first who should come back in next week.

Good:

* Our backs stopped attack after attack. I thought most down back did their part for the team. Considering how awful our mids and forwards were, I thought our backs did well to keep them under 80 points.
* Hunt kept running all day and worked hard.
* A decent turn up from the Dees supporters too. Unfortunately the players didnt though..

Bad:

* Dropping Harmes and Pedo was a little mind boggling, especially when ANB, Michie and The Weed had zero impact on the game. Really strange selections after winning three in a row and played its part in our loss. When there is still a chance to play finals, I'm not sure bringing in a guy who has played SFA and another guy who is not AFL standard into a must win game was a good idea.
* WTF was Vandenturd doing handpassing to Gawn in the goalsquare???
* Our leaders just didn't stand up again. Vince had a dirty day. Jones tried hard, but made dumb decision after dumb decision. Watts had no impact all day and missed a crucial easy shot on goal early in the third which might have given us a lift. Tyson got a lot of it but as usual chopped the ball badly by foot.
* Handpassing? WTF is with us playing a handball game everytime it gets wet? Dumb dumb football.
* Roos got beaten tactically today. We are the easiest team to beat. All you have to do is drop a man behind the ball defensively and we turn to water.
* Our kicking into the F50 is nearly the worst in the comp. We have some guys who can seriously find the footy, but most of them cannot kick. Will be a problem moving forward.

Ugly:

* Being Essendon and Carlton's bunnies. No team deserves to play finals losing to both those teams, and we managed to do it! Well done Dees! We lost in the same fashion to both teams last year! Gibbs and Cripps just did what they want. If there were two blokes we had to nullify, it was those two guys, and who were the best two on the ground? Cripps and Gibbs! It looked like we had no plan for them at all!
* Only Melbourne could make Dylan Buckley look like a decent AFL player!
* You could tell in the first 10 min that there was no energy, no talking and no urgency at all from the players. They got jumped early because of that, and we couldn't make up the difference.
* The umpiring. I've said it a few times this season, it has been atrocious! 1 free kick for a whole half of football and 5 for the match! Have there ever been a team get lower in a game before??? The crazy thing is, that it wasn't the worst I've seen this season!
* Week after we travel? I know we have a young squad, but geez, I'd like to see a stat on how we go the week after travelling interstate? And yes, I'm well aware we snuck over the line against GC when returning from Perth, but we probably should have lost that game as well.
* Next week! Will get ugly with the Cats looking for % and us not giving two sh*ts like today! I for one won't be watching...

When did we get him? His game was better than at least 15 of his team mates. 1 turnover from 20 compared to Petraccas 12 out of 21 but yeah he cost us the game.
The point I was trying to make is our selections this game were questionable. Who's role was Mitchie trying to play out of the side that won the previous two weeks?

Making Michie a scapegoat is ridiculous. He was the least of our problems today, and it's fanciful to think Harmes would've been much better. Has turned the ball over repeatedly for three weeks running. His form didn't warrant keeping his spot.

Making Michie a scapegoat is ridiculous. He was the least of our problems today, and it's fanciful to think Harmes would've been much better. Has turned the ball over repeatedly for three weeks running. His form didn't warrant keeping his spot.
I kind of felt that reason for picking Michie was to give him a chance to impress before deciding on whether to trade him or not. And Weedyman just isn't quite there yet. Pedo probably shouldn't have been dropped.

In other words, I'm not making anyone the scapegoat, I'm just saying I don't think much of our selections.

I kind of felt that reason for picking Michie was to give him a chance to impress before deciding on whether to trade him or not. And Weedyman just isn't quite there yet. Pedo probably shouldn't have been dropped.

In other words, I'm not making anyone the scapegoat, I'm just saying I don't think much of our selections.
I was fine with Michie at halfback and aside from the one blunder I thought he was ok. Not great, just ok. I was hesitant about dropping Pedo for Weed and would've brought in Kennedy for Garlett. ANB is too slow to play that role.

But selections were a small part of the problem today imo, not withstanding playing Weed was a truly shocking call in hindsight.

While we are getting absolutely slaughtered in the middle. SMH, nothing was done in the box whatsoever.

I pray Goodwin is better on his feet than Roos is, **** always sticking with plan A til the death, use a bit of imagination to at least try to change the momentum when the ship is sinking.

This.

Roos has completely changed our culture in so many positive ways, and helped build a really strong list but his match-day coaching and selections leave a lot to be desired. Really hope Goodwin is a master match-day tactician.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back