Preview Round 3 (Pride Round) v West Coast @ Swinburne Centre (Punt Road)

Remove this Banner Ad

Really liked the look of Ballard. Has a very nice kick on her and she can actually do the low penetrating kicks.

EJ and Phillips were best for the Crows.
Considine didn't do much to cement a spot and Simmons needs to be dropped.
went to the game today and they were great, although I don't think Ballard should be playing until she gets her body in order. Skills are obviously there, but frankly (and I'm sure not PC enough) you cannot have that body shape & height and expect to play

went to the game today and they were great, although I don't think Ballard should be playing until she gets her body in order. Skills are obviously there, but frankly (and I'm sure not PC enough) you cannot have that body shape & height and expect to play
I'm not sure what the issue is. It didn't seem to hamper her around the ground at all. Hell, even back in the combine last year she came third in the agility test.

Chances are she's just naturally thick through the legs and hips.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with being PC. She performed VERY well and her size and shape didn’t hinder her at all. Absolutely NO reason for you to mention them. She’s a beautiful kick and she gets to the ball. There were plenty of “smaller” girls that didn’t get anywhere near the ball that she got today.

Loved the look of Ballard first up, I'd be keeping her in for sure. Great kick and looked at home immediately. Considine and Hewett on the other hand showed that they are depth players at best. Would rather see Prowse or Tonon given a chance.
that’s being kind, interesting the commentators were going on about how good the Crows depth is in this match (probably more as a backhand compliment by Chyloe Kurdas to fit her “Crows only good coz no Port” narrative she’s continuing to run with), certainly it may be there with the youth but they still could’ve had even better options considering Considine, Hewett and Whiteley are taking up 3 of those next-player-up positions because of supposed ‘experience’ 🥴, which is why escaping COVID protocols is the real premiership winning formula this year as it was seen today those players aren’t going to get near being able to hold the fort down.

that’s being kind, interesting the commentators were going on about how good the Crows depth is in this match (probably more as a backhand compliment by Chyloe Kurdas to fit her “Crows only good coz no Port” narrative she’s continuing to run with), certainly it may be there with the youth but they still could’ve had even better options considering Considine, Hewett and Whiteley are taking up 3 of those next-player-up positions because of supposed ‘experience’ 🥴, which is why escaping COVID protocols is the real premiership winning formula this year as it was seen today those players aren’t going to get near being able to hold the fort down.

Yeah. I'm not so concerned about Hewett because, hey, we've already got two decent rucks and just need a tall body to cover for when one goes down. In a squad of 30 or whatever it is, it would be wasteful to have three quality rucks.

But the likes of Considine and Whiteley being "next up" for our best 21 is concerning. Personally, I'd much rather see how Prowse, Tonon and Dowrick go. Tonon in particular strikes me as being ready to go, and of course Prowse would be exciting solely because she was a high draft pick. I assume Newman would have been given the nod ahead of Considine if not for the Covid protocols, so there's that at least.

In terms of Port coming in, someone like Jones would be an ideal target for them. They could offer her a chance to be a tier 1 player, which she is unlikely to be for us. She could be the face of their club. If Scheer was still around she would have been an ideal target as well. I can't help but feel that the top players in our team are unlikely to leave (except Phillips) because, why would they? They're already being treated as top stars, and they would be looking at the likes of West Coast and Gold Coast and thinking, geez, that could be me. So Port will be best off targeting the next tier down, those very good players who could become essentially marquee players at Port.

A contracted player would have to agree to leave a top 4 finals team to play for the dregs at Port and I can only see money being a reason to do it

Port will throw everything at having Greg’s daughter as their marquee pick. Shame. She’s Erin here.
Money, being a Port fan, or your friend is going to Port would all be the reasons to move over, but doing so would mean many losses to come. Just look at Gold Coast and West Coast. I remember Gold Coast stole 8 Brisbane players when they entered and they only won 2 games in their first two seasons. West Coast only managed to steal 2 players (IIRC - Hooker and Gibson) and have won 3 games in their first two seasons.

Last edited:
A contracted player would have to agree to leave a top 4 finals team to play for the dregs at Port and I can only see money being a reason to do it

Port will throw everything at having Greg’s daughter as their marquee pick. Shame. She’s Erin here.

Erin will go to Port as a playing development coach, watch this space. Its her final year at her age anyway. No one could begrudge her from wanting to play at Port and it wouldn't surprise me if the Crows let her go with their best wishes. But at the same time, she helped build something successful at the Crows and I am not sure she may want to leave.

Also, based on how results go for new teams, can Port fans handle being flogged in the womens showdown. Which amusingly enough, could happen in the mens next year too.

Contracts mean whatever contracts usually mean in all other cases. It's just when expansion teams come in that the rules are different.

Thought we probably played our worse game of the season so far but West coast are just that much weaker than Brisbane and North.

Loved the look of Ballard first up, I'd be keeping her in for sure. Great kick and looked at home immediately. Considine and Hewett on the other hand showed that they are depth players at best. Would rather see Prowse or Tonon given a chance.

Jones having a stellar season so far. She has cut out the brainfades and is using her talents beautifully. She's the player Kellie Gibson wishes she was.
When expansion teams joined the AFL, they were able to sign uncontracted players from other clubs. Not contracted players

That's up there with the weirdest statements written on here.

When expansion teams joined the AFL, they were able to sign uncontracted players from other clubs. Not contracted players

I don't think this is right. When the previous expansion clubs entered there were only one-year contracts. Two-year contracts were added after the most recent expansion signing period.

Previous expansion clubs had access to any player they wanted, as long as that player agreed to come.

Should be? Expansion teams Should be made to build slowly as in the history of this sport in all states. The AFL bias and money is the only thing behind decisions...will they scramble to cut Collingwood rise in form? The competition is going to suffer..my 84 year old mother stopped watching AFLW and she's vas pro women( as I am) as anyone .she says she spent her years watching school football already when I played.. the Crows and Freo in full flight are the only times school footy perhaps isn't the comparison...they gonna K ll that?...what then?

On Redmi Note 9 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

The way you grow a competition like AFLW is by having the young girls of today get into it and turn into the superstars of tomorrow.

To maximise that growth, you need to have as many teams as possible be competitive. Young girls are most likely to find out about footy from their parents watching it, and the majority of parents are unlikely to follow the sport if A) their team isn't represented, or B) their team is extremely uncompetitive.

Selfishly, I want to keep all our good players. Port can have the dregs. But in terms of a healthy competition that's obviously not the best outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way you grow a competition like AFLW is by having the young girls of today get into it and turn into the superstars of tomorrow.

To maximise that growth, you need to have as many teams as possible be competitive. Young girls are most likely to find out about footy from their parents watching it, and the majority of parents are unlikely to follow the sport if A) their team isn't represented, or B) their team is extremely uncompetitive.

Selfishly, I want to keep all our good players. Port can have the dregs. But in terms of a healthy competition that's obviously not the best outcome.

No one wants to watch women's footy due to the low standard.

What happens when the standard lowers even further with the new teams?

How many years can this continue?

Judging by what I've seen in the junior comps around Adelaide over the last 5 years or so, it'll get better very quickly.

Very old school approach there Pete.

The standard is higher now than it was a few years ago when we had 8 teams. It's improving every year despite the regular additions of new teams. A few more teams won't prevent that, but it may well get a Port fan or a Sydney fan on board.

Also, this latest introduction of teams is clearly the last one for the foreseeable future.

I can only speak personally here, but if Port had won the first SA AFLW license instead of the Crows, I probably wouldn't have followed the comp to date. I support women's sports broadly, but I'm not going to put hours in per week to follow a sport unless I have a connection to it. I have plenty of Port-supporting friends who don't follow AFLW closely, but probably will once their team comes in. However, if they come in and get absolutely destroyed for the next 5-10 years they will probably tune out.

The standard is higher now than it was a few years ago when we had 8 teams. It's improving every year despite the regular additions of new teams. A few more teams won't prevent that, but it may well get a Port fan or a Sydney fan on board.

Also, this latest introduction of teams is clearly the last one for the foreseeable future.

I can only speak personally here, but if Port had won the first SA AFLW license instead of the Crows, I probably wouldn't have followed the comp to date. I support women's sports broadly, but I'm not going to put hours in per week to follow a sport unless I have a connection to it. I have plenty of Port-supporting friends who don't follow AFLW closely, but probably will once their team comes in. However, if they come in and get absolutely destroyed for the next 5-10 years they will probably tune out.
Well they did that with their mens side too

Rewatching the game Currently, and my god the Umpiring is beyond poor, all those "dangerous tackle" free that just weren't there, we got absolutely slaughtered by the umps

That's up there with the weirdest statements written on here.
well let's wait and see if she is still going around in a couple of years. Everyone happy to (correctly) get into Fog over his body shape, shouldn't be any different here

The down ground frees really got to me - I don't think half of them were even close to being late

The 3rd qtr started with two wrong decisions going our way- Phillips should have been HTB when she took on tackler and ducked, but umpire only called a ball up and then a bit later an Eagle got called HTB she she slammed into an opponent basically immediately after collecting possession

Was hard to see what half the decisions for in close quarters were about, but I imagine they were also universally bad too

well let's wait and see if she is still going around in a couple of years. Everyone happy to (correctly) get into Fog over his body shape, shouldn't be any different here
Full time footballer vs Kid part timer.

She had 10 disposals (9 of them were kicks, so she's using her assets well). That's more disposals than 10 other players out there. She's only 19, has had one AFLW pre-season and the first of our draftees from last year to make her debut. She's 160cm which is short, but that height hasn't stopped Martin, so really, you're judging her based on her weight, which obviously hasn't stopped her from getting drafted out of all the girls out there.

Erin will go to Port as a playing development coach, watch this space. Its her final year at her age anyway. No one could begrudge her from wanting to play at Port and it wouldn't surprise me if the Crows let her go with their best wishes. But at the same time, she helped build something successful at the Crows and I am not sure she may want to leave.

Also, based on how results go for new teams, can Port fans handle being flogged in the womens showdown. Which amusingly enough, could happen in the mens next year too.
With the way she played yesterday, I thought she could go on another year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back