Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

This bit right here is it in a nutshell.

All the Hinkley lovers are so used to said failure that they’re no longer bothered by it either. It’s also just “It’s not the SANFL anymore”/“Who you gonna get?” with them.

Hinkley’s loser mentality has completely plagued our club.

The club has veered so far off-course in pursuit of some bizarre ‘good people + patience = dynasty’ cultist religiosity that Koch/Hinkley/Davies are undeniably the right troika to make that happen, we’re on course to rendezvous with Amelia Earhart before we ever link up with that elusive premiership.

Pound-for-pound the club has never been in a stronger off-field position since joining the AFL, yet those in charge seem determined to p¡ss our USP of history, culture, ethos and standards up the wall and be more like Adelaide and Fremantle: soulless, standing for nothing, and treating a 13-17 win season plus finals exit like a lotto win.

It’s batsh¡t insane.

The club has veered so far off-course in pursuit of some bizarre ‘good people + patience = dynasty’ cultist religiosity that Koch/Hinkley/Davies are undeniably the right troika to make that happen, we’re on course to rendezvous with Amelia Earhart before we ever link up with that elusive premiership.

Pound-for-pound the club has never been in a stronger off-field position since joining the AFL, yet those in charge seem determined to p¡ss our USP of history, culture, ethos and standards up the wall and be more like Adelaide and Fremantle: soulless, standing for nothing, and treating a 13-17 win season plus finals exit like a lotto win.

It’s batsh¡t insane.

Unfortunately this is the evolution of the modern AFL club. They all operate more or less with a hive mind and the result is the clubs with various advantages are the ones that end up holding up the cup (note - we have no advantages so that will never be us).

There needs to be a conscious effort to get Port Adelaide people running the club who drive the standards and uphold the club's culture. Time is running out though - we've already got a full generation of players and fans who have St Kilda like expectations, if it's left to rot on the vine much longer it will be too late.

Just been watching some of Welcome to Wrexham new series. This is a club in the fifth tier competition that is absolutely determined to win. Yeah it's all done for the cameras but everyone from the owners down to primary school aged fans has the same drive. How hard can it be to instill the same in our lot?
We need Paul Rudd and Charlie Day to buy the club.

It’s batsh¡t insane.
How come you left out West Coast when talking about soulless clubs?

West Coast are also further away from winning another premiership than ourselves, Fremantle or Port Adelaide are.

Also, note how every club has either changed coach or made a grand final within the last 3 years, with the exception of the SA and WA clubs.

Regarding the Sack Hinkley topic - David Koch is on record saying he wants to make Ken Hinkley a 20 year coach, so it's hard to see him going anywhere unless the Power finish bottom 4 or win the wooden spoon.

West Coast are also further away from winning another premiership than ourselves, Fremantle or Port Adelaide are.

Also, note how every club has either changed coach or made a grand final within the last 3 years, with the exception of the SA and WA clubs.

Regarding the Sack Hinkley topic - David Koch is on record saying he wants to make Ken Hinkley a 20 year coach, so it's hard to see him going anywhere unless the Power finish bottom 4 or win the wooden spoon.

I forgot they existed, but they at least have a premiership strike rate worthy of their stature.

Please correct me if I have this wrong.

We've given up all of this year's draft capital (such that it was), a first round picked player AND next year's first for a handful of magic beans that can't get a game with their previous (bottom 10) club? I hope I'm missing something here :(.

This is all for Hinkley's benefit, isn't it? Doesn't want to develop young players, needs to keep us on the cusp for another year or two to protect his empire. :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've given up all of this year's draft capital (such that it was), a first round picked player AND next year's first for a handful of magic beans that can't get a game with their previous (bottom 10) club?
One of them did get games through lack of depth, conceded the most goals of any player, was in the worst 20% for losing 1v1 and was probably pushed out by the best free agent signing.

What a masterstroke by our big brane list management *******s.

We've given up all of this year's draft capital (such that it was), a first round picked player AND next year's first for a handful of magic beans that can't get a game with their previous (bottom 10) club? I hope I'm missing something here :(.

This is all for Hinkley's benefit, isn't it? Doesn't want to develop young players, needs to keep us on the cusp for another year or two to protect his empire. :mad:
Interestingly we have lost 2 wingmen in 2 years and they were our players that were true wingmen.

If I hear once that we are short on wingmen and its the new missing piece I may spontaneously combust in a thermonuclear explosion and destroy the world.

Yep. Doing what it takes to keep the band together.

They're all in on 'another' last roll of the dice (before they go again if this doesn't work)

Interestingly we have lost 2 wingmen in 2 years and they were our players that were true wingmen.

If I hear once that we are short on wingmen and its the new missing piece I may spontaneously combust in a thermonuclear explosion and destroy the world.
The Korner article's already been written. As soon as it's obvious we're off the pace next year he just has to hit 'send'

West Coast periodically pop up and win a flag though. They're bottoming out now but basically every major rebuild bears fruit.

How is Xavier gone but this bloke is still here
The guy that did a little boundary line dance when we won a H&A game criticised X for his bow and arrow goal celebration. Maybe X is not just into animal cruelty and the Kenny Hinkley Football Club is better off without him.

West Coast periodically pop up and win a flag though. They're bottoming out now but basically every major rebuild bears fruit.

It’s funny, there’s the school of thought that says that to be a great club in the modern era you have to be always up there or thereabouts.

Well, the two richest and arguably biggest clubs in the league have made an art-form out of surfing the boom-bust draft cycle to its fullest extent, and routinely cash in as a result.

It’s gonna be extra disheartening when West Coast is on their usual hot-air balloon to the moon while we’re stuck in the usual tropospheric hover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back