Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked for the `David Koch FC ' comment, which is unfortunately what we have now become!
Yes, the poor little club from Alberton is just a David Koch play thing. :mad:

I've posted previously that if our 150th year doesn't go well Koch is likely to tire of this toy and find another platform for his ego.

Getting annoyed at Ken for making a strong statement of purpose and intent about the new season and the club (as many have been crying out for) is absurd.

Wailing about Ken's ability to carry out the promise before he has even had the chance to do so is pointless.

Complaining about Ken's past performances and the clubs inability to sack him is totally fair game.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Getting annoyed at Ken for making a strong statement if purpose and intent about the new season and the club (as many have been crying out for) is absurd.

Wailing about Ken's ability to carry out the promise before he has even had the chance to do so is pointless.

Complaining about Ken's past performances and the clubs inability to sack him is totally fair game.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

What he said is a strong statement is it?
So its just dawned on him that the aim is to win a premiership?
Did he realize yet thaf to win a premiership we don't just need to make the finals, we actually need to win finals games?

And then I get a warning for calling our supportersin general what they quite obviously are.

This club has not only lost its way, its gone completely soft and morphed into an abomination worse then any franchise club.

Traditional club my ass.

If Leicester city can win the epl you better believe port can win the flag. Stranger things have happened in sport.

And if Leicester City can fire that title winning coach the year after, we should have bloody well sacked ours by now.

I'm hanging out for Thunderpants's next posting statistics update in defence of Hinkley's coaching record.

"39% of posters account for 81% of posts in this thread which is indisputable proof that Kenny is a truly great coach and must coach Port Power until he decides to retire."

Hanging out at tin timbers cafe braxholm having an am coffee
who cares atm.

Seriously.......there is not a single statement that Ken could make that wouldn't draw criticism here. He could say that "quantum entanglement is a difficult concept to fully understand" and 500 people here would post that he is an idiot, should drink less coke and should try harder.

Talk of Premierships is exactly what we wanted to hear from him. What he has done is declare that this is a year of striving to achieve, not building to achieve. The difference is that if we have a final v West Coast, he will be picking the strongest team and not putting finals experience into players like 2017 Todd Marshall.

For all those who hate him, another consequence of his statement is that failure to make the 8 will see Ken resign- just what you want. He is saying this is the squad I want to win finals and to take us deep into September. He is declaring that this squad is capable. He is saying that youth and inexperience will not be an excuse. He is pushing his chips into the centre of the table.

Ken has chosen to build until now. This is the first time I can recall him openly stating a premiership is what we want from the year. He's excited, I'm excited and all true Port people should be too. The haters should park their hate for 7 months. The chances of getting what you want in September one way or another (a competitive and competing Port Adelaide or Ken's scalp) looks very likely.

Seriously.......there is not a single statement that Ken could make that wouldn't draw criticism here. He could say that "quantum entanglement is a difficult concept to fully understand" and 500 people here would post that he is an idiot, should drink less coke and should try harder.

Talk of Premierships is exactly what we wanted to hear from him. What he has done is declare that this is a year of striving to achieve, not building to achieve. The difference is that if we have a final v West Coast, he will be picking the strongest team and not putting finals experience into players like 2017 Todd Marshall.

For all those who hate him, another consequence of his statement is that failure to make the 8 will see Ken resign- just what you want. He is saying this is the squad I want to win finals and to take us deep into September. He is declaring that this squad is capable. He is saying that youth and inexperience will not be an excuse. He is pushing his chips into the centre of the table.

Ken has chosen to build until now. This is the first time I can recall him openly stating a premiership is what we want from the year. He's excited, I'm excited and all true Port people should be too. The haters should park their hate for 7 months. The chances of getting what you want in September one way or another (a competitive and competing Port Adelaide or Ken's scalp) looks very likely.

Agree with a lot of this. It is time to park the gate and get on board for sure.

That said, Ken definitely isn't pushing his chips in to the middle. The club flip flops so badly that in round 5 he could come out and say this is a rebuilding year and he never said otherwise.

Ken’s statement is just another example of the club‘s knee-jerk reaction to an issue.

We were too attacking in the early Hinkley years, so we go ultra defensive.

The rotation cap decreases, so we just run and forget ball skills.

We don’t allow our players to enjoy a big win, so let’s party after Melbourne round 1.

Our leadership is too serious, so let’s copy Jack Higgins and tell jokes before the bounce (because Richmond)

Now the club hears its supporters reciting “We exist to win premierships”. The club takes that to mean we demand a premiership every single year. The club overreacts and Ken says his thing.

As has been said before on this thread, no one expects a flag every year. What we do expect however is that every decision (whether to develop a kid or change a coach) is made with that next premiership in mind.

But sure, in isolation Ken’s comments seem great...If only we can isolate every mediocre performance we’ve had in the past 5 years and pretend they didn’t exist.

You're excited?

Oh boy.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited to see our new crop of youngsters but we are not coming close to making the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're excited?

Oh boy.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited to see our new crop of youngsters but we are not coming close to making the 8.
I do not believe that we not close to making the eight. I think a bit of luck and injuries will be the unknown, and we do have a squad that is capable. One of the biggest irritations has been that we have not been using that capability (eg trying to recast our best midfield player into a forward pocket and I could go on forever). The 2019 recruits is not the difference. The question will be around how deep we go.

Ken has chosen to build until now? What are you on about? Where were we end of 14 and beginning of 15? He has failed, failed miserably for 5 years. Watering down expectations to make himself look good.
Now all of a sudden we are on a quest to win a flag? Contract year maybe? Quelling the dissenters? Showing the supporters and club some love? It's all as fake as he is.

I'm trying to find a positive before we start the season;

Positive 1. After this press conference, if we are s**t at the mid year mark the club will surely will sack him and we can finally move on.
Positive 2. If ken has been replaced by aliens and wins a few finals or *gulp* the flag, Ill be well happy.

I do not believe that we not close to making the eight. I think a bit of luck and injuries will be the unknown, and we do have a squad that is capable. One of the biggest irritations has been that we have not been using that capability (eg trying to recast our best midfield player into a forward pocket and I could go on forever). The 2019 recruits is not the difference. The question will be around how deep we go.

We've had injury free seasons with a better list years prior and not come close. It will be a miracle if we can push into the 8 this year with the improvement in sides under us.

I'm trying to find a positive before we start the season;

Positive 1. After this press conference, if we are s**t at the mid year mark the club will surely will sack him and we can finally move on.
Positive 2. If ken has been replaced by aliens and wins a few finals or *gulp* the flag, Ill be well happy.

Why do people still think words carry accountability at port? Amazing stuff

Yep, I've put a reasonable wager on at 3.5:1 for us to finally make the 8, so I'm excited and like in other years fully expecting to be in finals, and if I lose that bet, I'm a winner anyway as Kenny gets punted into the sun!!
Bring it on!!

What he said is a strong statement is it?
So its just dawned on him that the aim is to win a premiership?
Did he realize yet thaf to win a premiership we don't just need to make the finals, we actually need to win finals games?

And then I get a warning for calling our supportersin general what they quite obviously are.

This club has not only lost its way, its gone completely soft and morphed into an abomination worse then any franchise club.

Traditional club my ass.
But this time his comments weren't soft.

By all means complain about his previous soft comments

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ken’s statement is just another example of the club‘s knee-jerk reaction to an issue.

We were too attacking in the early Hinkley years, so we go ultra defensive.

The rotation cap decreases, so we just run and forget ball skills.

We don’t allow our players to enjoy a big win, so let’s party after Melbourne round 1.

Our leadership is too serious, so let’s copy Jack Higgins and tell jokes before the bounce (because Richmond)

Now the club hears its supporters reciting “We exist to win premierships”. The club takes that to mean we demand a premiership every single year. The club overreacts and Ken says his thing.

As has been said before on this thread, no one expects a flag every year. What we do expect however is that every decision (whether to develop a kid or change a coach) is made with that next premiership in mind.

But sure, in isolation Ken’s comments seem great...If only we can isolate every mediocre performance we’ve had in the past 5 years and pretend they didn’t exist.

This is pretty much my issue with it.

In isolation it is a good comment from him, it shows intent and aligns with what made the club great - striving for success/winning premierships... In isolation...

The reason he's facing such negativity as far as I'm concerned is the fact that we all have memories longer than 3 months and have all seen how he's operated throughout his time as coach. For me the broader context and his previous messaging kills him from being taken seriously here.

He's talked about how its a tough competition and someone has to lose instead of saying that we weren't good enough due to XYZ or taking responsibility for a loss and actually committing to improvement or fixing the issues that have cost us a game (i.e. never actively trying to improve the skill level of the group, despite consistently having sub-par efficiency/goal kicking - A shitload of inside 50s is great, but if skill level/goal kicking is an identified issue that hasn't been addressed then surely this is a coaching issue)...

He has seemingly just taken things lying down, for example like when we cop an umpiring reaming "the umpires have a really tough job and I'm not going to criticise them" instead of saying something like "the umpires have a really tough job, but they need to be accountable like the rest of us, and those decisions/discrepancies directly cost us" (he'd not say that though because it promotes accountability), take the fine because I'd have more respect for him if he actually called out issues rather than play the softly-softly AFL House can do no wrong line...

He's been seen smiling and laughing after close losses in important games instead of getting angry or speaking out or holding players/himself accountable, you can forgive fans for being angry at this when we've spent our time, money, and emotion investing in a result that the man in charge of the team doesn't show any care for (he may internally be angry, but when you're seen laughing it isn't what most people will infer from the picture)...

The lack of accountability over a long period and the lack of a spine when faced with the difficult competition hardly seem like traits of champion.

When we've seen the above behaviour for the past 7 years and can so readily recall instances due to there being so many examples, it blunts the good message he's giving by saying we are striving to win the flag. People won't believe you promising the world when you've consistently let them down. His actions/results over a sustained period have not shown him to be someone who can deliver on this most recent message, therefore he is being met with scorn and skepticism. As someone wrote earlier, this is a great comment for him to make if it were 2015.

When I acted out as a child my father used to say to me that I would need to show a discernible difference in my behaviour before I would be believed/trusted... Until Ken shows that this we want to win the flag mentality is not just a glib marketing line the club has told him to say, and is able to actually sustain it in his behaviour or that of the coaching team/the playing group that he oversees, it makes sense that this comment would be met with the bewilderment and mistrust that it has done.

I hope he can deliver on what is, in isolation, a good comment

TL: DR - Previous 7 years of exposed behaviour doesn't make me confident he can deliver on his new found attitude

It's more important to finish the season wanting to win the premiership. This is just hedging bets to allow the club to pivot to "we played the kids" and "finals are just a sugar hit".

Arms are still crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back