Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kornes and Barratt on 9 news just now from a footy show spruiking re-signing the coach. Cos he has done a great job. Fck me. Does anyone in the industry actually look at results??

I especially love the bit where they say 'you can't judge him on this year, that would be unfair'.

It's almost like we don't have 7 prior seasons to judge him on.

Kornes and Barratt on 9 news just now from a footy show spruiking re-signing the coach. Cos he has done a great job. Fck me. Does anyone in the industry actually look at results??
We know why Kornes is saying this, but Barrett must have watched us in 2014 and has since misplaced his glasses for 6 years.

We know why Kornes is saying this, but Barrett must have watched us in 2014 and has since misplaced his glasses for 6 years.
If AFL House was looking to make staffing savings, he'd (Barrett) be first on my list. Adds nothing to the game or our knowledge of it. And that sliding doors stuff is rubbish. Most people here could do a better job.

Kornes trying to get to KT to commit to Hinkley 2021 given the circumstances this year. KT thankfully didn't buy in. What the hell is up with Kane and this incessant backing of Ken? It's like the last 5 years havent existed at all.
I guess it goes back to the whole 300 games thing :(

If AFL House was looking to make staffing savings, he'd (Barrett) be first on my list. Adds nothing to the game or our knowledge of it. And that sliding doors stuff is rubbish. Most people here could do a better job.

I dunno, I will always have a tiny soft spot for Barrett, he was the only journo to get off his arse and come down to talk to us in 2011 and give us some airtime when everyone else was saying were Fitzroy from their Melbourne studios, they'd just throw their hands in the air and say 'what going wrong at Port!' without bothering to go any deeper than that. Even managed to sign Fossil up on the footy show.

In 1999 a former coach of an Australian sport team was involved in what became known as the cash for comment scandal. It was reported that the high profile radio station unwittingly allowed two so called "shock jock" stars to present as news what was in reality paid material. Basically, discreet payments were made to secure both favorable comment and to (importantly) stifle criticism.

That scandal of course has nothing to do with the current commentary. I am just highlighting something that occurred 21 years ago that may be long forgotten by many or not known of by some.

As for this situation?. I am certain both individuals could (if they wanted), explain in detail the reasons for their comments (given there are a number of years of coaching under achievement), in an attempt to use the factual information they provide to not only convince myself and others that their statements have merit but to once and for all be able to define themselves as either (1) credible sports commentators or (2) sports shock jocks.. There is a big difference.

Kornes trying to get to KT to commit to Hinkley 2021 given the circumstances this year. KT thankfully didn't buy in. What the hell is up with Kane and this incessant backing of Ken? It's like the last 5 years havent existed at all.

My take is that Kane believes the players are to blame for the last few years due to their lack of professionalism, poor attitude and general lack of focus. There is merit in this thinking, but it's up to the coach to coach the players. So it's just a death spiral. We've been clearing out players left right and centre, but the one constant is Hinkley.

There is absolutely no way he should be given a free ride.

My take is that Kane believes the players are to blame for the last few years due to their lack of professionalism, poor attitude and general lack of focus. There is merit in this thinking, but it's up to the coach to coach the players. So it's just a death spiral. We've been clearing out players left right and centre, but the one constant is Hinkley.

There is absolutely no way he should be given a free ride.
Why has the boss let standards drop? Wants to be best mates with the players? Knows he has a secure pay packet because he has screwed Koch down and knows Koch's ego isn't strong enough to have the footy world maybe pour a bucket of s**t on him for sacking good bloke Ken??

If Ken was coach of a Vic based team with his finals record and help he's had he would've been sacked last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken should host a Jordan Belfort-style seminar for the likes of Rodney Eade, Gary Ayres and Peter Schwab.

“At this point you’re 5, maybe 6 years down the path...”

— “To a premiership?”

“F**king. Nowhere.”

— “So what do you do then?”

“Trade your best trio of 25yo’s and draft some kids...”

— “Then what?”

“More of the same while you wade through endless praise”

64A8D3BF-6038-4334-AB21-28645666829E.jpeg

Kane spent most of his career as an incredibly hard worker, but Ken waved through his 300th game despite the fact that Kornes had absolutely stopped putting the team first.

Kane, if pressed on the matter (which he will never allow himself to be) would acknowledge that the elite standards he held himself to for most of his career were put aside so he could get a 300th game, and that willingness to put elite standards aside is now a hallmark of the Koch/Hinkley era.

Surely KT would not exit leaving behind a second stain on his tenure by re-signing him prematurely again.
Will be an interesting game of bluff if the season ends now. Assuming we don’t sack Ken

Ken will want more than a year and the club hopefully will only want a year. I just hope we don’t s**t the bed again,

please don’t * this up port.

My understanding is that Hinkley is required to make finals in one of the first three years of his current contract to trigger a 2021 extension. With no final appearances in the first two years (2018 & 2019), it is the 2020 season that is the last opportunity to achieve the trigger requirement.. If the season is shortened, postponed or cancelled it does not alter the contract. I understand Hinkley could remain the coach in 2021without achieving a finals appearance in past three years but it would only be because the powers within the club ignored the trigger clause in the contract and approved the extension anyway.

Is there something I'm missing ?

Kane spent most of his career as an incredibly hard worker, but Ken waved through his 300th game despite the fact that Kornes had absolutely stopped putting the team first.

Kane, if pressed on the matter (which he will never allow himself to be) would acknowledge that the elite standards he held himself to for most of his career were put aside so he could get a 300th game, and that willingness to put elite standards aside is now a hallmark of the Koch/Hinkley era.

A 300th game at home, no less.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Kane sat out the previous away game so he could play his 300th in front the home crowd and then bail out for good.

Now someone remind me how 2015 went again?

EDIT: He sat out in round 3 against North.

Last edited:
I think they're the type of people who hoard toilet paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back