Opinion Sack Hinkley 5 - Lower The Blinds

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that graphic does is make Ken Hinkley look a bit badass. And Ken Hinkley isn't remotely badass.

I'm sure he's done something... just checking.

Used car salesman
Non Drinker
Doesn't care for foreign culture
Probably doesn't care for any culture
Probably doesn't care for history
Discourages bluing and rough play
Never taken the AFL to task over anything
Probably never had mullet

Um, guess not.

You're delusional if you think someone is actually considering taking Hinkley on for another senior coaching job. Despite the fact that he can't coach I also doubt the AFL would allow GWS/GC to do this and WC is arguably the best run club in the league and I think unlikely to make such a mistake.

If he took another AFL job that commenced before whatever payout he is owed is finished we will only be paying the difference (e.g. Norf Scott when sacked and taking the AFL role). If his final year has a trigger clause that isn't met we won't be paying past 2022.

You are also ignoring that after fulfilling ten years at Port he will be eligible for club life membership. If Matthew Lobbe is considered suitable for it then Hinkley will as well. Essentially any payout amount is worth it to avoid this.

Rightly or wrongly, Ken has a very good reputation around the AFL. Whilst I wouldn't be bringing him on as a senior coach, I can certainly see another club sounding him out for the role.

Regarding any payout - Port would only be paying the difference in wage between the full payout and his new wage if there was offset language written into said payout. Otherwise, Ken would legally be entitled to the full payout from Port and a full wage at his new club. Additionally, even if there was offset language in the payout, his new club would no doubt be aware of this and they could use it to their advantage. Ie pay him bugger all in that first season because Port are covering his wage, which would allow them to increase expenditure into other areas of the footy department for season 2023.

Your presumption that Ken's final year of 2023 is based on making finals is nothing more than conjecture at this point, and based on what I've heard having spoken to people connected to the board, is untrue. Happy to be proven wrong, though.

This is all a very common sense approach but I can't help but feel that sacking him is more in line with Fos's vision of clearing out the no-hopers. It's a specific move that will, IMO, affect the psyche of the club moving forward. Is this just a "we were great as a team but it's time for us both to move on", or is this a "your performance is not good enough for this club".

I just feel like a negotiated parting stinks of David Koch's famous zero accountability when I think this club needs a reality check from top to bottom in terms of what it takes to win flags.

Back in Fos' days clearing out the no-hopers didn't result in having to pay anywhere from 400k-500k in salary to piss them off out of the club either though. If Port were in a stronger position financially this discussion would be very different. But the club still needs to remain fiscally responsible at this point in time, and forking out that kind of money to get rid of the senior coach now as opposed to waiting a little while to see how the dominos fall is not exactly best business practice - and I say this as one of Ken's biggest critics.

At the end of the day, once Ken has gone from the club, regardless of what circumstances he leaves them in, he will be very quickly forgotten by all at the club once a new senior coach is brought in who brings in a slew of new footy department members and imprints his philosophy and ideas on to the playing group.

I'm sure he's done something... just checking.

Used car salesman
Non Drinker
Doesn't care for foreign culture
Probably doesn't care for any culture
Probably doesn't care for history
Discourages bluing and rough play
Never taken the AFL to task over anything
Probably never had mullet
Throws his players undey the bus
Um, guess not.
FTFY, you forgot one.

Any pay out to Ken would be offset by the extra membership dollars the club will receive, by virtue of the fact that the club will have finally moved in a different direction. It's hard to put a firm figure on it, but the 2023 membership numbers might be as many as 20,000 more if Clarkson is our new coach, compared to what they'd be if Ken is still at Alberton. At this stage, I'm weighing up renewing my membership for next year, but if Ken leaves the club, all uncertainty will be removed.

Nah, I think they had genuine attacking and scoring intent. They used tall targets and found the corridor. We still looked to lock it in, score from packs, crumbs, stoppages, rather than direct methods of kicks and marks.

If I remember it well, they didn’t have the talls in 2017. Their FW line was like ours: “Snow White and the Five Dwarves”.

He can rescue another little battler club.
With Hinkley as coach, this would be their new club song:

Join in the chorus
And sing it one and all
Join in the chorus
We never touch the ball
Our club is lacking
In champions you'll agree
North Melbourne won't be premiers
Till 2053 :).

Any pay out to Ken would be offset by the extra membership dollars the club will receive, by virtue of the fact that the club will have finally moved in a different direction. It's hard to put a firm figure on it, but the 2023 membership numbers might be as many as 20,000 more if Clarkson is our new coach, compared to what they'd be if Ken is still at Alberton. At this stage, I'm weighing up renewing my membership for next year, but if Ken leaves the club, all uncertainty will be removed.
We should be able to get around 5,000 white noise members back on board. So at a very low membership of $150, that would rake in an extra $750,000. That should cover it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sack ken today and I'll buy a membership tomorrow.

Anyone who thinks Hinkley couldnt get another senior job should ask the question how someone like Brett Ratten was able to get another job?

If you take the Port blinkers off, outsiders can see he has a decent W/L record and has a record that got a club to multiple prelims and finals

Whilst we all know he sucks dogs balls, other s**t clubs will see something different than what we see... hopefully

This season is over regardless of if you sack him now or later. You're not going to be bringing in a new coach this year if you sacked him tomorrow - all you'd be doing is promoting an assistant and putting more duties on what is (imo) an already under resourced coaching unit. Furthermore, if you sacked him tomorrow you're paying increased money to the interim head coach (they would be getting a promotion which = more salary), you'd have to pay Ken out in the realm of 400k.

But if you wait until another club comes knocking for Ken (be it GWS, West Coast, Gold Coast etc), you can part ways without having to resort to a pay out of part of the final year of his contract.

If Ken had zero value on the open market and wouldn't be picked up by another team, I'd sack him tomorrow. But because he holds some value, it is a simple economics decision to keep him around until they can make such a move that is also in the best interests of the club economically.

The only way you could convince me otherwise would be if the club were able to include offset language into any payout. That is, say the payout is 400k, and he finds another job for 2023 worth that amount in the first year, then Port are not required to pay him anything because his new club are covering it. But that can be a minefield because clubs can then just pay him bugger all next year knowing that Port are paying him to not coach them - not to mention Ken's history suggests he would love nothing more than a nice fat pay out (ie getting sacked now) with an additional salary on top of.the payout at a new club in 2023.
I'd still rather just sack him tomorrow.

Anyone who thinks Hinkley couldnt get another senior job should ask the question how someone like Brett Ratten was able to get another job?

If you take the Port blinkers off, outsiders can see he has a decent W/L record and has a record that got a club to multiple prelims and finals

Whilst we all know he sucks dogs balls, other s**t clubs will see something different than what we see... hopefully

A club struggling to be consistently competitive could do much much worse. He’s a bit like the soccer managers Sam Allardyce or David Moyes. Can mould a battle-hardened outfit to the safety of mid-table and just above, but can’t take the next step to genuinely challenge for trophies.

Your Gold Coasts, your North Melbournes, your (prior to this year) Carltons, your Melbournes (around the time Roos was parachuted in with that exact brief).

The key will be when to pass the baton to the guy capable of flagging up.

A club struggling to be consistently competitive could do much much worse. He’s a bit like the soccer managers Sam Allardyce or David Moyes. Can mould a battle-hardened outfit to the safety of mid-table and just above, but can’t take the next step to genuinely challenge for trophies.

Your Gold Coasts, your North Melbournes, your (prior to this year) Carltons, your Melbournes (around the time Roos was parachuted in with that exact brief).

Or... He actually was a half decent coach as a motivator, then he lost interest in that part. Plus always tactically inept but able to hide behind assistants.

It's entirely possible he was a good "rev up" type coach pre Phil Walsh passing, but is now just very average on all fronts.

Imagine Ken's first game against Port as the opposition coach. When Port is 7 goals up at quarter time, he'll think to himself, "Geez - Port never used to play like this when I was their coach."

Imagine Ken's first game against Port as the opposition coach. When Port is 7 goals up at quarter time, he'll think to himself, "Geez - Port never used to play like this when I was their coach."

then downs his coke zero...........some things never change

Caro absolutely doubled down on Ken to GWS just then.

Said (paraphrasing) "I'm not adding 2 and 2 and getting 5", "he is absolutely high on their list" and "Ken will get another coaching job after Port Adelaide"

First time I've ever enjoyed catching 5 mins of Rowe's show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back