St Kilda's development and drafting

Remove this Banner Ad

Billings will be this player for them, already saw signs last year.
Billings will never been a player that will draw people through the gates. Yes, when he’s in form he’s crafty and kicks goals. But that doesn’t mean he’s the type of player that people want to go out of their way and watch. Certainly not in the Curnow, Cyril, danger mould.

When the dogs were going through a rebuild in 2010-14 era, I went to support the boys because I was a loyal fan. Not because I wanted to go watch Shaun Higgins play. A very similar player to what Billings can hope to consistently become.

David King pointed it out today that they don't have enough elite players.

I thought I'd go through the stats and see if it stacks up, and it doesn't look as if St Kilda have developed their players, brought the right structure to their list, and or drafted the right players. Now there will be some discrepancies due to any up and coming players that are rising fast.

Key defenders are ranked very poorly, in fact only Hawthorn and Port Adelaide have lower ranked key defenders, but both have good small defenders.

Small defenders are also quite lowly ranked with 4 of their players being ranked very poorly. Defensively overall the saints don't have any highly ranked talent.

Midfielders they have one player I'm not sure is technically elite. I'm not sure on the numbers, but Steven is their only close to elite player. Their other players are not consistent players as David King mentioned and their overall midfield talent is terrible.

Overall in the forward line, they have a reasonably robust small forward setup.

In the ruck, they have possibly the worst and most under-performing ruck setup in the competition.

I think the overarching realization here is that they have not drafted the right players or given them the right structure to developing talent, and that they have drafted quite poorly.

Give your thoughts

Key Defenders

Jake Carlile at overall 286, position 29
Nathan Brown 319, position 34

Small Medium Defenders
Savage overall 158, position 22
Roberton 164, 24
Gilbert 187, 31
Geary 212, 37

Midfielders
Steven, overall 17, position 14
Ross, 51, position 32
Newnes 116
Dunstan 159
STeele 169

Key Forwards
Bruce 257, position 22

Mid Forwards
Acres 266, position 15
Sinclair 209, position 18

Small Forwards
Memberey 119, 15
Gresham 129, 17
Billings 153, 19

Ruck

Hickey, 249, 15
Longer, 356, 23
David King is a ******* genius isnt he?
Not enough elite players??? lollollol
In other news...water is wet.

Its been a Disaster.
Injuries have mauled us and our hopeful “stars” are only going to be good at best.
We have solid list though. And who knows? Maybe Acres wakes the f up.
Coffield/Clark/Long/Phillips/Marshall and FREEMAN - bright lights in 2018

ANSWER
T.Lynch (2018) and Josh Kelly (2019)

We have so Much money to Spend. We need these two. We need to sell bayside / new facilites AND the fact that we have a solid list. We just need some star power.

Give GWS 2020 first rounder and Newnes/Bruce
Get back in round 2 of 2018 draft. Sell pick 3 for picks 11 and 14 or somethjng. Get another two great kids. AFTER CHANGING OUR RECRUITMENT

Change fitness coach, change asistants who never played afl. Get in Harvey (mark robert) get in Ratten possibly to head coach?

Last edited:

ANSWER
T.Lynch (2018) and Josh Kelly (2019)

Give gold coast 2019 first Rounder & Josh Bruce

Saints need to keep their first-rounders and build with what they have. Lynch will be a free agent, so will only cost $.
Change fitness coach

Not wanting to rub it in, but Richmond's never been fitter under Peter Burge who was previously the high performance guy at St.Kilda.

Wanna know about Alan Richardsons youf policy? Look at the graph.

Oh and Freo played 13 blokes with 50 games or less. If That isn't a sign of Ross Lyon playing youth, I don't know what is.
Posting this same thing on another MB thread about St Kilda's youth not enough for you?

Saints need to keep their first-rounders and build with what they have. Lynch will be a free agent, so will only cost $.

Not wanting to rub it in, but Richmond's never been fitter under Peter Burge who was previously the high performance guy at St.Kilda.

Free agent? Well then we defo should be going hard for lynch!!
McCartin is cooked it's over. We need to.move on and get lynch.

FFS DO SOME.WORK.STKILDA!!

GET KELLY ON BOARD SECRET HANDSHAKES - if Lynch knew Kelly was going to saints he'd sign. BOTH ARE LOCAL BOYS!!

Suks so bad if we had OUR ACADEMY these would be ours along with oliver Florent and Taranto

They just don't have any players who draw people through the gates. Look at other Vicco teams:

Carlton: Charlie Curnow
Melbourne: Hogan
Richmond: Dusty
Hawks: Cyril
Geelong: Dangerfield
Bulldogs: Bont
Essendon: Danniher
Kangaroos: Big Dick Brown
Collingwood: Pendles
Saints: ?
Not convinced that's really a factor these days. All the key forwards on that list are hit and miss. They might kick 5 but they might have closer to 5 touches. Cyril the same, with a few more tackles. Bont's not really putting up 30 silky touches as regularly and there's joy in a few things Pendles does each game.

Danger the last couple of years and Dusty the last year or so have been on another level and somewhat worth the price of admission as the saying goes, but otherwise it's the performance of the team that matters.

Ben Brown is getting some well deserved praise with North's current form but he was pretty much the same player last year when North weren't winning and North's crowds, relevance, future etc were all being questioned.

If every Saints player - good and bad - played better they'd win more games and at least one of Steven, Ross, Carlisle, Billings or possibly Gresham or Membrey would be getting some recognition for performance.

Free agent? Well then we defo should be going hard for lynch!!
McCartin is cooked it's over. We need to.move on and get lynch.

FFS DO SOME.WORK.STKILDA!!

GET KELLY ON BOARD SECRET HANDSHAKES - if Lynch knew Kelly was going to saints he'd sign. BOTH ARE LOCAL BOYS!!

Suks so bad if we had OUR ACADEMY these would be ours along with oliver Florent and Taranto
I've been having a hard time trying to figure out if you're genuinely serious with all of your posts or just a massive troll...stumble over from SS?

Apart from Newmes, Ross and Stevens, st kilda haven't got anyone else. Billings, Dunstan and Sinclair are useless. It just proves that there isn't much elite talent inside the top 10 draft picks. I don't get it, what made Billings a top 10 draft pick?

Apart from Newmes, Ross and Stevens, st kilda haven't got anyone else. Billings, Dunstan and Sinclair are useless. It just proves that there isn't much elite talent inside the top 10 draft picks. I don't get it, what made Billings a top 10 draft pick?
The fact you mentioned Newnes as one of good players shows you don’t watch St Kilda. Never understood why people comment their judgement when they’re not knowledgeable on the subject..

That was some time ago?

We had Davoren for a while (disaster) and our new bloke seems worse...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact you mentioned Newnes as one of good players shows you don’t watch St Kilda. Never understood why people comment their judgement when they’re not knowledgeable on the subject..
At least newnes can kick! Tell me, what does Billings bring to the table, considering the rage is big bodied midfielders!

I really rate Coffield and Clark so hopefully they can develop into guns. Billings and Gresham will get better as the team improves, which is pretty standard for small forward/mids, Ross is a decent footballer, Steven is a gun, McCartin is a worry and Acres has potential. You add 2-3 A graders to that list and it doesn't seem so bad. I think there are a lot of players who in a better team would be above average footballers. You just can't build a team around them.

I don't follow the tactical side of St Kildas game but it seems like there are question marks over Richardson?Hopefully he can get some better talent through the door as he seems like a decent guy

At least newnes can kick! Tell me, what does Billings bring to the table, considering the rage is big bodied midfielders!

Just because every time St Kilda has a televised game, BT ignorantly declares Newnes to be the best kick in our team, doesnt make it so.

When there isnt two big sticks in front of him, Billings would actually be (if not, one of) our best kicks.

Havent seen much of the saints this year but why has there been such a fall off since last yr? they were looking good for stages last yr and i thought they might start to come good. Key forwards seem to always be hard to draft or recycle. cant think of many key forwards who werent already good that excelled at another club. Sydney seems to only go after forwards who are already established. i.e. hall or franklin. Are the saints throwing everything at lynch?

Just because every time St Kilda has a televised game, BT ignorantly declares Newnes to be the best kick in our team, doesnt make it so.

When there isnt two big sticks in front of him, Billings would actually be (if not, one of) our best kicks.

Is there a reason (other than tank) that Billings isn't being playing on a wing? His kicking is fine and he has poise, he should be hitting forwards lace out rather than being down there himself waiting for someone else to kick it into 50 (usually poorly).

Havent seen much of the saints this year but why has there been such a fall off since last yr? they were looking good for stages last yr and i thought they might start to come good. Key forwards seem to always be hard to draft or recycle. cant think of many key forwards who werent already good that excelled at another club. Sydney seems to only go after forwards who are already established. i.e. hall or franklin. Are the saints throwing everything at lynch?
s**t players
Worse coach.
Last year? ...even a broken clock gets it right every now and then.

St kilda have had so many ordinary players over the last 15 years!! Think about, Blake, Ray, Jones, Baker, Gwilt, R.Clarke and last but not least Gilbert. How has this rugby convert survived for many years, despite not being able to kick! So who knows more about St kilda now, huh?

Is there a reason (other than tank) that Billings isn't being playing on a wing? His kicking is fine and he has poise, he should be hitting forwards lace out rather than being down there himself waiting for someone else to kick it into 50 (usually poorly).
He started on the wing last year and was terrible. He was then moved to half forward and looked like a completely different player.
When starting at half forward, he tends to get more of the ball and sets us up better than when he starts on the wing.

He started on the wing last year and was terrible. He was then moved to half forward and looked like a completely different player.
When starting at half forward, he tends to get more of the ball and sets us up better than when he starts on the wing.

Pretty much this^
Without looking at the numbers, he probably doesnt win enough of his own ball and likely he would get exposed defensively playing wing.
He's more an outside-finisher type, just needs to start finishing!

St kilda have had so many ordinary players over the last 15 years!! Think about, Blake, Ray, Jones, Baker, Gwilt, R.Clarke and last but not least Gilbert. How has this rugby convert survived for many years, despite not being able to kick! So who knows more about St kilda now, huh?

No arguments here re: other poor kicking players, past and present.
What that has to do anything though...?

Newnes is not a better kick than Billings. He just isnt, no matter what BT told you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back