Preview The forward line setup!

Remove this Banner Ad

tunksy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
The pre-season is moving at a snails pace so its time to start up a thread on our forward line and how we are gonna make it better in 2013.

plenty of competition for spots and many ways to line up

What is your ideal forward line up and why?

how many games will A.Edwards play and how many goals will he kick?
12 games, 20 goals

can we play jack, vickery, griff/astbury and A.edwards in the same side?
will be a case of who's in the best form I believe or injuries, but will be very hard to balace 9see A.edwards reasoning below).

how many games will knights play and how many goals will he kick, will he spend more time in the midfield or wing?
22 (not including finals) 26 goals

i'll start off

King, Jack, Vickery
A.Edwards Astbury Edwards

king jack and the edwards's provide the defensive pressure.
plenty of marking options with good crumbers

I suspect knights will be playing further up field with stints in the forward line. very good kick.
honestly im not sold on A.Edwards at the moment while he is smaller he plays tall im just not sold on his versatility, defensive pressure or ability to play up field. admittedly I haven't watched a lot of him.

3 talls, 1 attacking small, 1 defensive (small or medium) and 1 resting mid.

how many games will A.Edwards play and how many goals will he kick?
15 games, 25 goals

can we play jack, vickery, griff/astbury and A.edwards in the same side?
No, I see Edwards as a tall even though he's medium sized he plays as a tall with a limited defensive game.

how many games will knights play and how many goals will he kick, will he spend more time in the midfield or wing?
Hopefully 20+ games and 15-20 goals. I think he will play as a high half forward wing away from goal and deliver inside 50 so don't expect him kicking a tonne of goals.

I think we'll start off with:

HF: J.King/Nahas, T.Vickery, Knights
F: S.Edwards, J.Riewoldt, A.Edwards

A.Edwards: 10 game, 17 goals

Ideally I'd like to see one of Elton or Griffiths developed as the CHF. I'm leaning towards Elton as Griffiths can play down make and take the monster forwards, however Elton's not ready just yet. So the three talls with Shedwards in the pocket and Knights/Nahas on the flank with Martin, Cotchin, Deledio rotating through there. Vickery is that third tall that can help Maric out in the ruck. It'd be a very dangerous forwardline with Vickery (200cm), Riewoldt (195) and one of Elton (197) or Griffiths (199).

So long term:

HF: R.Nahas/Knights, Elton, Martin
F: T.Vickery, J.Riewoldt, S.Edwards

HF: S. Edwards - T. Vickery - C. Knights
FF: J. King - J. Riewoldt - A. Edwards

However, every game Dusty starts out of the goal square so it could look like this:

HF: S. Edwards - T. Vickery - C. Knights
FF: J. King - J. Riewoldt - D. Martin

Jeez people sure seem excited over the prospect adding a 29 year-old borderline hack who's kicked all of 124 goals in 82 games to our forward line. It's not as if this one has a hot missus.

...and if McGoof starts the year in the seniors then I can only suspect others will have had one piss poor pre-season.

Actually I think the forward line setup will depend a lot on how we set up our backline.

Most times last year we played a 7-man backline so that we could switch when rebounding out of defence. Whether that 7th man comes off the wing or from the forward line will be very important for our structure.

Normally I don't like being defensive unless it is to slow down the play, but I liked the way we did it last year as it gave us clean posession into the half forward line with the opposition often caught on the other side of the ground when we switched it. Yes, we ended up with a clogged forward line (Jack double teamed more often than not), but with the loose man down back we would keep bombing it back into attack and the other teams would rarely score highly against us. I think it was a big reason why we had a good % at the end of the year. Also let's not forget that having a Coleman medalist helped :)

Jackson gives me the shits but as a defensive forward he was ok. Although I don't want to admit it, he can play HFF. Vickery at CHF. Let's say the other HFF is 'lost' to our 7-man backline.

That leaves us with two of King or S Edwards or Nahas to be small forwards, and Riewlodt to be FF.

Also I expect us to play Martin and Cotchin at FF from time to time to mix it up a bit.

The guys like Knights or A Edwards, or even genuine talls like Astbury and McGuane (don't laugh) could be on my bench. Probably two of these four I would have on my bench and expect them to spend about 50% of the time on the ground.

Although I like Griffiths as a CHF, I think his huge kick will be a real asset kicking out from full back so that's where I would name him.

For mine it's 3 talls, 1 small capable of being defensive and attacking, 2 resting mids. Here is the lineup:
HF: Knights Vickery Martin
F: S.Edwards Riewoldt A.Edwards.

Riewoldt and Vickery pretty much pick themselves. A.Edwards gets the gig as the 3rd tall even though height wise he isn't truly a tall. He is however another true leading option who will provide a viable alternative to Jack. S.Edwards gets the small forward role because I see him as a better option overall. He can kick goals as a crumber, can take a decent grab, tackles effectively and isn't afraid of the contest. Can also relieve up in the midfield. On the HFF I have gone with 2 proven goal kicking mids who should cause the opposition backline headaches. The bonus is that when they go up into the midfield for a run we can then use the likes of Deledio and Cotchin to keep the pressure on opposition backs. The idea behind this is that instead of us worrying about stopping the oppositions players they actually have to worry about stopping our guys as there is no way sides will allow Martin Cotchin Deledio and Knights freedom to roam around the F50.

How many games will A.Edwards play and how many goals will he kick?
20 games 30 goals, going by everything that has been reported it would seem that Edwards is really being worked on to ensure he knows what is required to be part of our forward setup. As I mentioned above he is a genuine alternative to Jack coming out of the square and should force the opposition to play Jack more 1-1 rather than double/triple teaming him. As long as he performs alright defensively I can see Aaron being a key fixture of our forward line.

Can we play jack, vickery, griff/astbury and A.edwards in the same side?
In short no we can't, well not up forward anyway. If Griff/Astbury play they need to be as KPD, unless Jack or Vickery are missing. If Edwards is out I can't see us loading up with Jack Vickery and Griff or Astbury up forward, just makes us too tall and the ball will easily leave our F50 once it hits the ground.

How many games will Knights play and how many goals will he kick, will he spend more time in the midfield or wing?
Knights will play all 22 H&A games barring injury. If he does could easily kick 25-30 goals. I do see him spending his time primarily as a HFF, with bursts in the midfield when required. With a booming kick and a proven ability to kick goals he should be the answer to our mid sized flanker needs. As I mentioned above with Cotchin Deledio & Martin, Knights forms a fairly dangerous quartet who can kick goals and hurt the opposition if given time and space to use the footy. That alone will make us much more threatening as a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HF: Knights/King Vickery Martin/Cotchin/Lids/Tucky
F: S.Edwards/Nahas Riewoldt Astbury

Vickery, Jack, and Astbury as the talls, Dusty, Cotch, Lids, and Tucky to rotate through as resting mids, Knights, Nahas, Kings and Titch to fill the small forward and defensive forward rolls.

I would like to see Griff rotate up forward at some time. Being 200cm and as quick as he is, gees he'd be hard to match up on.

HF: Martin Vickery S Edwards
F: Nahas Riewoldt Knights

Half forward flanks are rarely stay-at-home half forwards anymore. They are usually part of a midfield rotation, or extra wings, to make sure the team has numbers at the ball. Their secondary role is to kick may 1.3-2 goals a game. I'd have the dedicated goal kickers up deeper. Hence two mid-forwards on the flanks.

How many games will A.Edwards play and how many goals will he kick?
Eight games, 17 goals. Mainly insurance for Riewoldt. Could also be a sub, in which case Nahas or Edwards is shuffled more into the midfield mix.

Can we play Jack, Vickery, Griff/Astbury and A. Edwards in the same side?
Three yes, four no way.

How many games will Knights play and how many goals will he kick, will he spend more time in the midfield or wing?
As said previously, flank and wing are becoming more and more the same thing. 18 games (not including finals) 24 goals might not be wishful thinking.

kick to fwds on a lead, we did this in 2010 and Jack was on fire, he plays best when he's leading for the ball as opposed to trying to take pack marks all the time

Agreed. And also when the under pressure long bomb is deployed it must land 10-15m out from goal for maximum panic value. 30-40m out is too easy to cover and rebound. Lots of inside 50s last year, and a lot very shallow entries.

some very good replies guys! certainly is a problem area that the brains trust is working on fixing which will help us improve just that little bit more and if it works we will be pushing for finals.

jack needs to have space and time to lead more, the wrestling must stop!

From just last year we now have 2-3 more options who can rotate through the forward line. We are on the way.

kick to fwds on a lead, we did this in 2010 and Jack was on fire, he plays best when he's leading for the ball as opposed to trying to take pack marks all the time
Had a different forwards coach then, you could see a real difference from how we operated when Danny Daley was forwards coach compared to last year when he moved to midfield and Mark Williams took over. Hopefully our set ups improve this year in regards to when the ball enters the forward line.

Ideal

CF: Knights, Reiwoldt, Martin
FF: A. Edwards, Vickery, Nahas

Rotate Vickery and jack
Rotate Nahas and Knights
Rotate Martin and Lids/ cotchin

I think Edwards will play near to every game .. just got a feeling he will be the only one to actually take pressure of Jack .. no offense to vickery but he will have a rusty year this year

Ideal

CF: Knights, Reiwoldt, Martin
FF: A. Edwards, Vickery, Nahas

Rotate Vickery and jack
Rotate Nahas and Knights
Rotate Martin and Lids/ cotchin
I have seen A Edwards and Mc Guanes names mentioned. These two are depth only players. if either plays more than 5 or 6, then we are a big chance to miss finals again. Neither of these players is of the standard of a finals quality side and the sad fact is if they are playing regularly, Richmond is in big trouble. We need a younger player to come through and force out these types. I know I'll get lambasted for saying this( Here we go Rusty ), both are duds!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back