Recommitted Tim Kelly [exploring trade options home to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

If
we ran the Eagles ...

then
there would have been zero chance we would've let Tim Kelly go back to Geelong. The inaction could cost a premiership defence. Yes, we know there wasn't much draft pick scope, but when a player of this calibre presents himself on a platter, you don't push the platter back.

Like Henderson? Like Stanley. Smith? Look at how bad the cats bottom 6 is. Over paying in picks hurts in the long run an will get Kelly next year on the cheap a win win.

I understand what was requested initially, but the last reports were Geelong wanted 20 + 22 + next year's first, whereas WC offered 20 + 22 plus next year's second. Geelong's request equals more than pick 9, 28 and some spud, so yes, by the end Geelong were asking for a Dangerfield price for someone who has performed for all of 23 games. Geelong were within their rights to reject the offer, I'm glad WC didn't acquiesce to Geelong's demand because it is patently absurd.

Stop using the points system. 20 22 and 35 next year does not equate to a top 10 pick no matter how you spin it.

It’s likely that he can’t actually state the reason he doesn’t want to go to freo. If it was something like “I met Ross Lyon and he gave me no respect and came off as a nightmare coach. Also everyone that I know who used to play at the club hated Lyon.” then it’s not like he could make that public.

There is an inherent assumption in this that just because he won’t go to freo that he isn’t desperate to get home. I’d say it’s more likely that he is desperate to get home but that he has a very good reason about why he can’t consider freo.
Well make it public. If it's a bad enough reason it should be highlighted.

Stop using the points system. 20 22 and 35 next year does not equate to a top 10 pick no matter how you spin it.
I'm not sure you read my post correctly? I wasn't using the points system, I was referring to Geelong's final price of pick 18 (at worst, potentially as high as pick 10), 20 and 22, which was too much to pay for a one-year player. It's a shame we don't have him, he looks the goods, but not at that price. The reality is now Geelong get that benefit for one more year, but I have no doubt he will be at the Eagles next season, and for a little less. The fact his wife has teed off again at the club suggests everything isn't rosy.

I'm not sure you read my post correctly? I wasn't using the points system, I was referring to Geelong's final price of pick 18 (at worst, potentially as high as pick 10), 20 and 22, which was too much to pay for a one-year player. It's a shame we don't have him, he looks the goods, but not at that price. The reality is now Geelong get that benefit for one more year, but I have no doubt he will be at the Eagles next season, and for a little less. The fact his wife has teed off again at the club suggests everything isn't rosy.

20 and 22 are rubbish Geelong might've taken 20 and your future first but I still would've felt unhappy with that. Just one decent pick was all we asked for. Even Pick 11 or 12 would've got it done it was up to the Eagles to find it but they didn't

20 and 22 are rubbish Geelong might've taken 20 and your future first but I still would've felt unhappy with that. Just one decent pick was all we asked for, it was up to the Eagles to find it but they didn't
20 and 22 certainly aren't rubbish; you picked up Kelly with 24 and we got Liam Ryan after that last year. That said, I would have offered 20 and next year's first as well but also would have been uneasy, given it could be anywhere from 10 to 18 (if we're both uneasy, it's probably a good deal). I dunno if the Eagles offered that (at the end, WC apparently offered 20 and 22 and the 2019 second rounder, which Geelong wouldn't accept, but Geelong wanted the first rounder, as well as both 20 and 22, which the Eagles wouldn't accept). We'll probably end up having to use that first next year if we finish near the top, though we will probably save on later picks.

18 20 and 22 was a perfectly fine price.

WCE should have done this deal IMO.
Kelly is quality with many years left in him.
Price wasn't overly big to pay.

Kelly's value doesn't diminish much next year either so it'll be interesting re-visiting this in 12 months time.

Predictably the Vic media is starting to blame WC (insert twit Vic logic) in failing TK's wife and kids
Yep this has nothing to do with Geelong's horrible culture hey

You just got to laugh

Predictably the Vic media is starting to blame WC (insert twit Vic logic) in failing TK's wife and kids

You just got to laugh
You wouldn't give a first rounder for him. Of course it's your fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE should have done this deal IMO.
Kelly is quality with many years left in him.
Price wasn't overly big to pay.

Kelly's value doesn't diminish much next year either so it'll be interesting re-visiting this in 12 months time.

Absolutely value won’t change. However Geelong will have to trade him for value this time around.

Absolutely value won’t change. However Geelong will have to trade him for value this time around.

Your 1st this year may as well have been a second rounder.
His value is a 1st round inside 12 i reckon.
He is quality and will be 25 next season.

Next year the price depending on where you finish is still to be two 20s picks at least.
You were better off paying the cost this year to have 12 months earlier as he would be a walk up start in your side let alone any side in the comp.

Your 1st this year may as well have been a second rounder.
His value is a 1st round inside 12 i reckon.
He is quality and will be 25 next season.

Next year the price depending on where you finish is still to be two 20s picks at least.
You were better off paying the cost this year to have 12 months earlier as he would be a walk up start in your side let alone any side in the comp.

Well u can think of his value whatever you f want.

At end of day he is only coming to wce. And when he is out of contract, you will be getting a lot less than offered.

Not like you guys paid “value” for dangerfield. And spare me free agent bullshit given he was never coming to Geelong as a free agent.

Well u can think of his value whatever you f want.

At end of day he is only coming to wce. And when he is out of contract, you will be getting a lot less than offered.

Not like you guys paid “value” for dangerfield. And spare me free agent bullshit given he was never coming to Geelong as a free agent.

lol settle down....12 months is a long time in footy.
The Bryce Gibbs scenario didn't change much 12 months later as an example.

I'm a Collingwood fan...not sure where anywhere on my profile it says Geelong.

lol settle down....12 months is a long time in footy.
The Bryce Gibbs scenario didn't change much 12 months later as an example.

I'm a Collingwood fan...not sure where anywhere on my profile it says Geelong.

Yeah. Gibbs was still contracted. Absolutely completely different situation and Kelly’s dream is to be at WCE.

Kelly isn’t contracted. First offer from WCE will be a 2nd rounder. It won’t be 3 picks. That’s for sure.

I am very comfortable with the situation.

With geelong’s draft hand this year, 20,22 would have been very handy. But they rubbished these as poor picks. Think now that dust has settled, they are beginning to see it wasn’t so bad. No doubt understand, no doubt. But not a bad hand to have.

I am very settled with situation. We are primed to pick up any sliders in draft.

Geez if only Geelong had that.

You just got to laugh

Where is that happening exactly?

Yeah. Gibbs was still contracted. Absolutely completely different situation and Kelly’s dream is to be at WCE.

Kelly isn’t contracted. First offer from WCE will be a 2nd rounder. It won’t be 3 picks. That’s for sure.

I am very comfortable with the situation.

With geelong’s draft hand this year, 20,22 would have been very handy. But they rubbished these as poor picks. Think now that dust has settled, they are beginning to see it wasn’t so bad. No doubt understand, no doubt. But not a bad hand to have.

I am very settled with situation. We are primed to pick up any sliders in draft.

Geez if only Geelong had that.

Then why so angry? And why would you presume that we “are beginning to see it wasnt so bad”? Where’s your evidence for this?Geelong, if anything, seem comfortable that we have Kelly for 2019. We’ll then go through the whole process again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back