Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the thread title need an update mods?
At least a question mark.

I must admit, I'm astounded to see him walk up stairs without crutches. I know the metal rods take the pressure, but I didn't think he'd be doing that until about 6-8 weeks, not less than 3.

Great signs.

I must admit, I'm astounded to see him walk up stairs without crutches. I know the metal rods take the pressure, but I didn't think he'd be doing that until about 6-8 weeks, not less than 3.

Great signs.

What a motivation for the other players, no? They could have melted like this forum and then the season would have been truly lost. But now they see TOM walking on the broken leg and doing handball drills. If nothing else, he's saying "Don't give up on this season, boys!" I reckon that has to be a huge morale boost.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that he wins the injury Brownlow (if there were such a thing) for inspiration from adversity. Tommy was one hell of a pick up.

I am astounded!!

What exactly did he break? Any doctors here care to explain? Would be much appreciated...

Great signs.

Maybe they’re planning on getting him to adjust with the metal rod still in his leg:

- Robotom.
- I’m rod we trust.

I am astounded!!

What exactly did he break? Any doctors here care to explain? Would be much appreciated...

From what I’ve read: Clean breaks to both tibia and fibula (shin bone and the other one behind it). Fortunately didn’t do any damage to the ankle or the knee, or significant damage to the lower leg muscles. Also in his favour was the fact the breaks were clean snaps and not multiple smaller fractures.

A titanium rod has been inserted into the larger of the broken bones to hold it firmly together with screws, this is the main reason he is able to walk so soon after the injury

From what I’ve read: Clean breaks to both tibia and fibula (shin bone and the other one behind it). Fortunately didn’t do any damage to the ankle or the knee, or significant damage to the lower leg muscles. Also in his favour was the fact the breaks were clean snaps and not multiple smaller fractures.

A titanium rod has been inserted into the larger of the broken bones to hold it firmly together with screws, this is the main reason he is able to walk so soon after the injury
So the leg would essentially still be broken, but held in place?

Does the thread title need an update mods?

Great signs.

Let's not get too excited, he's got a very long road ahead of him.

It's great he's out there, great for his mental state and his team mates.

It's not a miracle that he's able to limp around he's got a lot of recovery and rehab to get through before we can start thinking about a return date

So the leg would essentially still be broken, but held in place?
Kind of.
The rod and screws will act much like the cast for immobilising and supporting

He'd be forming a bone callus, after about five weeks the bones will be rejoined by the callus but it will take months to fully replace that callus and for the bone to fully healed.

It's not a miracle that he's able to limp around he's got a lot of recovery and rehab to get through before we can start thinking about a return date

I'm going to need a date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YEAH, GOOD ONE, BUZZ KILLINGTON!!

A Great lil boost for tom and the playing group with his presence all be it hobbling.
Like a few have said its still a long way to recovery. Its Still 8 weeks untill round 1.
This guy is a freak he is better prepared and meticulous than most AFL footballers rest asured if there anyway to make it back this yr this guy will do it.

He will be running roughly 3months into the season weather he does enough rehab and reconditioning to warrant a selection or the team in a push for finals is another story they will cross that bridge later in the yr.

Yes Mitchell is a big set back for 2019. While there isn’t too many positives from his unfortunate injury, what it does entail is that gives guys like Worpel, cousins, Morrison, Moore ect a chance to step up.

It also makes players like JOM, Langford, Howe and Sheils more accountable in the midfield. Wingard and Scully to a lesser extent as well.

For the past 2 years we have been heavily reliant on Tom. This year we won’t have that luxury, it’s time for his team mates to step up so that in 2020 with the addition of Cogs, we will be 1 premiership down in our quest of 5 consecutive! (It’s time for that fake Collingwood 4 consecutive record be broken!)

It’s unfortunate but ever since Clarko took over in 2005, any adversity has always been seen as a challenge, so I can’t see the need to be defeatist, it’s just a new challenge that I’m sure the club and players will take on, with a big desire to once again exceed expectations and stick it up to those that choose to treat our club with disrespect

Hope for a speedy recovery for Tom, looking forward to the players taking on this unfortunate challenge.
I want him to come back the same player. If he doesn’t I’m super uoset

Beyond that if this gets other mids to step up it is a good thing

I’m totally a glass half full type but there’s logic to what I’m saying

Maybe they’re planning on getting him to adjust with the metal rod still in his leg:

- Robotom.
- I’m rod we trust.
He's the Steve Austin of Hawthorn "We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster."

I want him to come back the same player. If he doesn’t I’m super uoset

Beyond that if this gets other mids to step up it is a good thing

I’m totally a glass half full type but there’s logic to what I’m saying

Everything we say there is usually logic to it!
It’s only when logic is forgotten and replaced by emotions!

I agree I want Tom back the same player next year. I have faith that JOM, Worps and co can lift, so when Tom comes back next year, he will be playing I. A team that is planning on going back to back!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back