Traded Tom Mitchell [traded to Hawthorn with pick 57 for pick 14 & 52]

Who won this trade?

• Sydney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How far apart are Mitchell and the Swans in contract negotiations? Not sure why he'd want to leave, unless they're ridiculously far apart or there's a Godfather offer coming from another club. Has played 34 of the past 35 games for the Swans (only missed Round 21 last year in that stretch), so is firmly in the best 22 now. Still really yet to enter his prime as a footballer, is playing well in a good side, and would be a big part of the Swans' future too.

Coming back to this, how far apart are Mitchell and the Swans in negotiations? I still don't quite get why he'd want to leave Sydney, unless they are seriously low-balling him contractually.

Coming back to this, how far apart are Mitchell and the Swans in negotiations? I still don't quite get why he'd want to leave Sydney, unless they are seriously low-balling him contractually.

Some rumours floating about he does not have the greatest relationship with Longmire, but Im not sure how true that is.

From what I've seen of Mitchell and read of his stats he is an elite extractor/tackler, the thing that every flag contender needs. Given the number of busts and failure to live up to U18 promise even with top 10 picks, a young guy like Mitchell must be worth 5-8 range.

O'Meara is a class above most mids IF he gets his knee/s right. Again worth 5-8 as a minimum.

Now Sydney won't be taking steak knife deals given how strong their best 22 is and the quality in their NEAFL side that can't force their way in. They just don't need depth players, they want best 22 replacements. If a player is fringe at Hawthorn, he will definitely be fringe at the Swans.

Gold Coast however would be partial to a steak knife deal, particularly for midfielders.

Both Mitchell and O'Meara will require a high draft pick as a minimum. That being the case I don't see how Hawthorn can get a deal done for either player as their first pick will be in the 15-18 range.

As always on BF, many posters seem to think parcelling up a few fringe players equates to a high pick - it doesn't!

Will be a struggle to get both but i disagree when you say they won't be able to get one. if hill decides to leave What he is worth varies among posters, i just think because he wears a hawks jumper that everyone pulls apart his game and he becomes an average player and not worth that much . Personally i think he is a late first early second 18-23 range . When you factor in that plus 2016 first and 2017 first which could be around the 10-12 mark if they do slide a bit i think that gives them enough in the bank to get one of the two without having to give up all 3 picks .

2017 first + hill pick for mitchell is pretty fair

The issue is the swans cap, they can't afford Mitchell's salary so how could they get anything but a fringe player?
They will definitely want picks, most probably our first and second and we would get Mitch and Sydney's third?

Yeah I suppose with the COLA being banished at the end of the year it was always likely they'd lose someone.

Nah that only works for the swans when it comes to securing academy products, give up two picks in the 30s and get Pick 3.

If you're going to have a sook about the academies there's plenty of other threads on that. Take it there.

Some rumours floating about he does not have the greatest relationship with Longmire, but Im not sure how true that is.

He sat in the reserves racking up big numbers so maybe there is something there. In the media he responded to that well agreeing that he had not had a pre season under his belt so didn't seem to have that base needed. If there is any truth to that I'm sure it would make a decision a bit easier, my under 15 coach beat the crap out of me one night for back chatting him so I know a bit about strained relationships.

From what I've seen of Mitchell and read of his stats he is an elite extractor/tackler, the thing that every flag contender needs. Given the number of busts and failure to live up to U18 promise even with top 10 picks, a young guy like Mitchell must be worth 5-8 range.

O'Meara is a class above most mids IF he gets his knee/s right. Again worth 5-8 as a minimum.

Now Sydney won't be taking steak knife deals given how strong their best 22 is and the quality in their NEAFL side that can't force their way in. They just don't need depth players, they want best 22 replacements. If a player is fringe at Hawthorn, he will definitely be fringe at the Swans.

Gold Coast however would be partial to a steak knife deal, particularly for midfielders.

Both Mitchell and O'Meara will require a high draft pick as a minimum. That being the case I don't see how Hawthorn can get a deal done for either player as their first pick will be in the 15-18 range.

As always on BF, many posters seem to think parcelling up a few fringe players equates to a high pick - it doesn't!

I agree that getting Mitchell and O'Meara may be a stretch for Hawks with Hill plus this and next years picks. However, there's a lot of unknowns even if both players nominate Hawthorn as a desired destination.

With Mitchell, rumour has it that the Swans have pretty much given up on retaining him because their cap is so stretched. If that's the case, and Mitchell nominates Hawthorn, the Swans bargaining position may not be as strong as some think and he could be acquired for a bit under his true market price. With O'Meara, as you say, a class above IF he gets his knee right. None of us really know how bad it is, how both clubs assess the risk around his longevity in the game and what sort of discount this might attract. Also fair to say that Hill might also net us less than we hope especially if Fremantle know we need to make the trade to have the assets to net the other two.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

He sat in the reserves racking up big numbers so maybe there is something there.

That was a couple of years ago, and totally justifiable at the time, given the Swans' midfield depth, where they sat on the table and his level of experience.

If he's still clinging to that as some sort of reason to hold a grudge or leave, now that he's firmly entrenched in Sydney's best 22 having now played 41 consecutive games (and counting) dating back to Round 5 last year, he's a petty childish idiot.

I thought Mitchell signed a pretty good deal a couple of years ago, so it's not like he's on rookie wages and wanting an increase from that. How much does he actually want? He's a good player, but he's not more than $4-500k good IMO.

I agree he isn't worth more than 450-500 k.

That was a couple of years ago, and totally justifiable at the time, given the Swans' midfield depth, where they sat on the table and his level of experience.

If he's still clinging to that as some sort of reason to hold a grudge or leave, now that he's firmly entrenched in Sydney's best 22 having now played 41 consecutive games (and counting) dating back to Round 5 last year, he's a petty childish idiot.

Agreed - I have no idea really just speculating to the other posters rumour. I still hold a grudge with my coach so I'm probably a childish idiot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue is the swans cap, they can't afford Mitchell's salary so how could they get anything but a fringe player?
They will definitely want picks, most probably our first and second and we would get Mitch and Sydney's third?

This

If we are struggling to fit Mitchell's salary in, we are going to need to replace him with a draft pick, not an established (or semi established) player who will need to be paid $300k +.

If he decides to go I'd take the above deal, although we may look to get another pick in next year instead of this year

I agree he isn't worth more than 450-500 k.

You are not going to get him for that. The offer we tabled during the year would be in the 450-500K range (The AFL average salary is over 300K so we would not be completely low balling him). Mitchell leaving will be like Treloar from the Giants getting a fair offer from the clubs structured wages (same as Shiel) but he is worth a lot more on the open market.

You have 3-peated, but at the end of this year he wont be leaving for success as we both have strong clubs moving forward. Maybe the alure of Melbourne is driving him???

Anyway, I would assume you would need to stump up more cash of you want to pry him out for coin. Carlton has shown interest in him in the past, and with Prestia getting 700K for coming back to Melbourne and Mitchell being a better player, I would assume the offer on Mitchell would need to be in the 600-700K bracket.

That is just my assumption anyway.

You are not going to get him for that. The offer we tabled during the year would be in the 450-500K range (The AFL average salary is over 300K so we would not be completely low balling him). Mitchell leaving will be like Treloar from the Giants getting a fair offer from the clubs structured wages (same as Shiel) but he is worth a lot more on the open market.

You have 3-peated, but at the end of this year he wont be leaving for success as we both have strong clubs moving forward. Maybe the alure of Melbourne is driving him???

Anyway, I would assume you would need to stump up more cash of you want to pry him out for coin. Carlton has shown interest in him in the past, and with Prestia getting 700K for coming back to Melbourne and Mitchell being a better player, I would assume the offer on Mitchell would need to be in the 600-700K bracket.

That is just my assumption anyway.

Agree its another Treloar situation, club plays the loyalty path knowing others have comitted and it has depth in this area of players, if player chooses to leave they know they will get great trade value rather than waiting for FA to kick in. Reckon we will see a lot more of it.

I would have thought the Prestia move to Richmond would be re-focusing some of the other Melbourne Clubs onto Mitchell.

Gold Coast could probably throw a ton of cash at him too. They must have millions to spare at the moment, Ablett's contract would have been heavily front-ended.

Mitchell would be a first-rounder plus another draft pick. I think Sydney would be happy to trade in lots of crap picks if it adds up to a decent academy pick.

Hawthorn's trading position is hampered by not having a high first round pick and being well down the PSD order. If GC throw enough cash at him, they can get him PSD if he nominates them.

I think Sydney would be happy to trade in lots of crap picks if it adds up to a decent academy pick.

1. We have no academy players this year
2. Next years picks are more valuable to us as there are a couple of academy players and a stronger draft.
3. Lots of crap picks do not work anymore. We are only allowed to use the picks to which we have a vacant senior spot. (which will normally be 5 picks for us as we always have the minimum 38 player senior list assuming 3 players delisted/retired/traded).

Where are Carlton fans?

Think most of us have given up on the thought of Mitchell, hence the silence.

But I'm sure the club would be keeping tabs on the situation, just incase it goes amiss.

Even then I don't think the club would be prepared to give up whats required to get it done, at our stage of the reset we're not in a position go out and sell the farm for 1 player (albeit a very good one)

Think most of us have given up on the thought of Mitchell, hence the silence.

But I'm sure the club would be keeping tabs on the situation, just incase it goes amiss.

Even then I don't think the club would be prepared to give up whats required to get it done, at our stage of the reset we're not in a position go out and sell the farm for 1 player (albeit a very good one)
I'm just not sure if we can get the deal done.

I'm just not sure if we can get the deal done.

Depends which players you are comfortable losing. I don't speak for every Swans fan but your first + a player (Shoenmakers, Hartung, etc) would be in the ballpark. The issue is whether you are realistically getting JOM or just leave him for Essendon

Depends which players you are comfortable losing. I don't speak for every Swans fan but your first + a player (Shoenmakers, Hartung, etc) would be in the ballpark. The issue is whether you are realistically getting JOM or just leave him for Essendon
I think JOM would be better for our club than Tom Mitchell for the future.

Back