VFL VFL Round 2 v Brisbane, Friday March 29 12:05pm @ Brighton Homes Arena.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not just good goal sense but knows how to read the ball off packs really well. If he can translate that into the seniors, we have a pretty special little weapon

He's a beautiful finisher and he's smart with his positioning and reading of play but he does look like a little kid out there. Last one I saw that looked that skinny and vulnerable out there was a bloke called Gavin Brown on debut...but he sorta found a way.

Sofrinidis is more our type or defender - intercepts and links up.
Not seeing it with Dean - we may lose Sofrinidis in the MSD.
He was impressive today.
Dean will get there, he just needs a lot more bulk and confidence.
Sof backs himself. Dean hesitates. I saw Dean’s hesitancy in the practice game against Richmond; hence, I was surprised he was selected.

Yes, went to the game today, very good, Lohmann the difference really!
Richards exceptional.
Sof excellent. IMO, AFL ready, speed, reads the play, good defender.
Sullivan, again AFL talent.
HH really impressed me today in the flesh. Harvey can obviously win the ball in close and accelerate, but it was his consistency winning one on one contests that impressed.
And finally, the four CFC ladies in front of me playing kick to kick at half time, outstanding!
Loeman was taking the piss.
THAT is the standard you need to be considered for AFL.

I’m shattered over Leggy’s decline. He was meant be our defensive springboard so that Nick could be our prime on-baller.
I also thought that’s what Ryan was meant to be?? That doesn’t seem to be the case either. Jiath (after 2 games) looks better as the “attacking defender” than Ryan. However he needs to rebuild his game.
Thoughts on giving Sidebottom a couple of VFL games off half back, do that he can re-set and bringing Harrison onto the wing or pushing Bobby up to a wing?

I wonder if we underestimate the lingering consequences of that brutal concussion Ryan copped in his senior debut?

Physically he might be fine but mentally has he fully recovered in terms of on field confidence?

At this stage, my main concern with Richards is he still looks like a good junior having a run with the seniors. Concerned he might be absolutely rag-dolled in the AFL. Took a while to get going, but has started this season like a house on fire, thank you Benny Reid.
His build is a bit reminiscent of a former Brisbane premiership-winning small, who we're quite familiar with

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His build is a bit reminiscent of a former Brisbane premiership-winning small, who were quite familiar with
He would have to string together a number of goal scoring games like the last 2 to get a look in at AFL level. At 177cm, teamed up with Schultz (177), Elliott (175) and Hill (175) our forward line would be laughably small, even more so with the short talls we currently have playing. Richards may have to wait until an injury to one of these guys opens up a spot for him.

Dean will get there, he just needs a lot more bulk and confidence.
Sof backs himself. Dean hesitates. I saw Dean’s hesitancy in the practice game against Richmond; hence, I was surprised he was selected.
Nailed it - his hesitancy is the stark contrast to Sof, and I’m not sure if he has the same pace.
But agree it’s too early to make firm conclusions.

Long term I reckon he's a fwd-mid. Has been spending time off the wing and fwd this pre-season, and in the games.
Hard to fit him in with Sidey coming back in and Crisp presumably in the starting 22, that’s leaving one out already. Rest another older fella I guess. Who though, Howe, WHE, surely not Pendles or Moneybags?

He would have to string together a number of goal scoring games like the last 2 to get a look in at AFL level. At 177cm, teamed up with Schultz (177), Elliott (175) and Hill (175) our forward line would be laughably small, even more so with the short talls we currently have playing. Richards may have to wait until an injury to one of these guys opens up a spot for him.
I think part of Shultz's challenge is that he's a bit too similar to Elliott in his preferred role. They can't both play deep at once very effectively. I think one was recruited to inherit the other's role when he retires, so long-term it looks good.

So, we have good depth but it's hard for them all to shine together. It's a long season, so they'll all likely get chances, hopefully in roles that suit them.

Slick, crumbing goal-kicker: Hill (Richards)
Pressure & linking: McCreery & Schultz (HH)
All-rounder, inc. deep marking target: Elliott & Schultz

Hard to fit him in with Sidey coming back in and Crisp presumably in the starting 22, that’s leaving one out already. Rest another older fella I guess. Who though, Howe, WHE, surely not Pendles or Moneybags?

This response wasnt referring to next week but the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What else would it be, if not the new recruits?
Well sometimes it can be the AFL players you have around the side, sometimes it’s the coaching, other years it’s the gel of the team.

I feel like we lacked a few near-AFL players in years gone-by. Hustwaite very close, Tardew up there. But after that, not too many.

Found some real gems out bush.

This year we have Sofrinidis, Long, Hutchinson, the best VFL player last year in Sullivan and Bytel who really all have improved the team considerably. Still don’t have Eyre, Kreuger or someone in the AFL like McInnes.

I do know there are players who’d be selected but AFL guys take priority. We also have Rye Penny who the club loves from an athletic perspective but he needs to improve his football skills.

Well sometimes it can be the AFL players you have around the side, sometimes it’s the coaching, other years it’s the gel of the team.

I feel like we lacked a few near-AFL players in years gone-by. Hustwaite very close, Tardew up there. But after that, not too many.

Found some real gems out bush.

This year we have Sofrinidis, Long, Hutchinson, the best VFL player last year in Sullivan and Bytel who really all have improved the team considerably. Still don’t have Eyre, Kreuger or someone in the AFL like McInnes.

I do know there are players who’d be selected but AFL guys take priority. We also have Rye Penny who the club loves from an athletic perspective but he needs to improve his football skills.
It's pretty obvious by the players who have been best on field who are making the biggest difference.

They've updated the stats.

Sullivan - 33 d, 9 clearances, 4 tackles
Harrison - 23 d, 1 goal, 9 tackles, 7 marks
Ryan - 20 d, 5 marks
Richards - 18 disposals, 6 goals
Allan - 17 d, 4 tackles, 5 clearances
Jaith - 15 disposals
I’ll go glass half full
- Sullivan
Good stats for a guy AFL age / ready to go when needed
- HH (my guy…)
Building nicely in his career. Now about consistently producing this type of performance- then pushing for the 1s
- Ryan
Beginning his 2nd of 4 years. Decent number of marks / disposals. Just keep developing over the year.
- Allan
Also barely into year 2 of 4 years. For a guy that was said to have faded badly, that’s excellent stats for a half of footy. Remember, a guy who returned to footy late in his draft year. Lots to work w over next couple years.
- TJ
Could be a point of difference in years to come. Good stats for early in his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back