News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yep, that barassi line. Forgot about that

Goes to show my zero knowledge of country NSW!
Mate, we had three premiership players who, as juniors, played in the same team (or maybe league). And given your username, I would expect you would be familiar with our recent association with the area.;)

Suckling and Smith played together for the Wagga Hawks and Wagga Tigers.

Breust with Smith in Temora preteens.

Breust has a rugby league background you know - and what's crazy is that the commentators of our games have *never* mentioned it...

Breust has a rugby league background you know - and what's crazy is that the commentators of our games have *never* mentioned it...
Growing up in that area, it would not be unusual to play both games in a weekend.

Growing up in that area, it would not be unusual to play both games in a weekend.

I was being facetious about the commentator line - they mention it a fair bit.

Agreed it's not uncommon - Wayne Carey played both codes from memory. Laurie Daley played against him in at least one of them and threatened to cross codes during the Super League war.

I was being facetious about the commentator line - they mention it a fair bit.

Agreed it's not uncommon - Wayne Carey played both codes from memory. Laurie Daley played against him in at least one of them and threatened to cross codes during the Super League war.
I realise you were being facetious. Just making a note on how most young guys would play both. Not much else to do up there than play sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn Football Club has announced its future home in Dingley Village will be named the Kennedy Community Centre in honour of club Legend, John Kennedy Snr.

In late 2016 the club purchased a 28-hectare site which will be Hawthorn’s home for the next 50 to 100 years.

Hawthorn plans to transform the Kennedy Community Centre into the premier sporting and community facility in Melbourne’s South East.

Hawthorn CEO Justin Reeves said the club could not think of a more fitting name for the Dingley Village site.

“This is the most significant project in Hawthorn’s history and we are incredibly proud to have the Kennedy name strongly connected,” said Reeves.

“The Kennedy family is synonymous with Hawthorn and is an integral part of the fabric of our football club.

“The impact they’ve had on Hawthorn will be eternally felt and the Kennedy Community Centre will ensure the Kennedy name is synonymous with the past, present and future of Hawthorn Football Club.

“John was in many ways the initiator of Hawthorn’s family culture and our initial success and, along with others, laid the foundations for what has become an incredibly strong football club.

“The Kennedy Community Centre will be a place that embodies the family values of Hawthorn and the Kennedy’s, and gives Hawthorn people a place to call home.

“John, his late wife Dulcie, and their entire family are wonderful Hawthorn people and we are humbled to be able to put their name to our new home.”

John Kennedy Senior said he and his family were honoured by the announcement.

“Hawthorn has been very kind to the Kennedy family over many years and all of our family are honoured to be remembered in this way,” Kennedy Snr said.

“However, we must not become lost in the past; Spectemur Agendo.”

Kennedy played 164 games for the Hawks and coached 299 games, including the club’s first premiership in 1961. He coached Hawthorn to three premierships and held the club-record from most games coached until late last year when surpassed by Alastair Clarkson.

John’s late wife Dulcie was a committed Hawthorn supporter who held the role of number one female ticket holder for three years between 2014-2016, and their son John Kennedy Jnr played 241 games for the Hawks, including four premierships and is President of the club’s Past Players and Officials association. John Snr’s grandson Josh also played 13 games for Hawthorn between 2007 and 2009, before being traded to Sydney, where he is currently captain of the club.

The development of the Kennedy Community Centre will go beyond the creation of an elite training and administration facility for Hawthorn’s staff and players and encompass community focused facilities, such as alternate sporting amenities and community hubs.

The statue of John Kennedy Snr which is currently situated at Waverley Park will be relocated to the entrance of the Kennedy Community Centre when the site officially becomes the new home of the Hawks.

Picture all the 'Boutique' little street names and areas you could have in the Dingley Precinct. The options are endless.

Kennedy's Way
Clarkos Road
Hodgey's Drive
Premiers Place
Premiership Cups Row
Mitchells Mile
Flag Avenue (picture all the Premiership Flags waving in the wind along this avenue).
Crawford's Corner
Brad Hill Court
Buddy's Junction
Premiership Parade
Chris Mews
Dermott's Goal Square
Russell Green

The possibilities. Build it already!
Tuck Inn

How privileged we are supporting this mighty club and witnessing some amazing people that have had a strong influence in shaping the club to what it is today. I’m not old enough to have seen Kennedy’s coaching days at Hawthorn but his legacy certainly lives on and will forever. Not many other clubs can boast the same lecagy as Hawthorn And in my Hawthorn supporting life I have lived through 10 premierships. That’s awesome.

Got some sand in my eye.

I absolutely love this: John Kennedy is the father of modern Hawthorn. He never seeks accolades, but deserves the adulation.
After years of struggling, he stood up in 1960 and dedicated himself to make the club great. He coached teams where individuals did not matter, everything was dedicated to the team and to winning premierships. You can understand what he did by the way his players still idolise him.

At the same time, he created a Club where people belonged, where everyone was part of the success.

It’s wonderful that Clarko has taken up the mantle and continues the legacy.

How privileged we are supporting this mighty club and witnessing some amazing people that have had a strong influence in shaping the club to what it is today. I’m not old enough to have seen Kennedy’s coaching days at Hawthorn but his legacy certainly lives on and will forever. Not many other clubs can boast the same lecagy as Hawthorn And in my Hawthorn supporting life I have lived through 10 premierships. That’s awesome.

My first meeting with John senior was when I was ten or eleven, and, one Saturday night, my uncle brought two Hawthorn players to our house. John Kennedy and Roy Simmonds. That was 1950 and Hawthorn didn't win a game.

What a great honour for Kennedy, and I am sure many other names synomous with Hawthorn will be seen as construction gets underway.

My first meeting with John senior was when I was ten or eleven, and, one Saturday night, my uncle brought two Hawthorn players to our house. John Kennedy and Roy Simmonds. That was 1950 and Hawthorn didn't win a game.

What a great honour for Kennedy, and I am sure many other names synomous with Hawthorn will be seen as construction gets underway.

Again, you need to write a book about all your early Hawthorn experiences - they are bloody fantastic to hear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back