News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

My first meeting with John senior was when I was ten or eleven, and, one Saturday night, my uncle brought two Hawthorn players to our house. John Kennedy and Roy Simmonds. That was 1950 and Hawthorn didn't win a game.

What a great honour for Kennedy, and I am sure many other names synomous with Hawthorn will be seen as construction gets underway.
As I read the last sentence it was in my mind that you were saying it was a great honour for Kennedy that your father invited him to your house. And I suspect it was.

Again, you need to write a book about all your early Hawthorn experiences - they are bloody fantastic to hear.

Thank you Ned. I have written a book about sweatshops, using a lot of facts I learned during my working life, and my early visits to Thailand back in the eighties. Half way through a follow-up and about 30% into a movie script when my wife became very ill, so haven't done any writing for some time. I have also written a small booklet about my battle with alcohol.

So many memories of my early Hawthorn days are triggered by what others write on various threads here, as in this case.

I will try and find time to write something that might be interesting for Big Footy fans. But will need a little time.

Picture all the 'Boutique' little street names and areas you could have in the Dingley Precinct. The options are endless.

Kennedy's Way
Clarkos Road
Hodgey's Drive
Premiers Place
Premiership Cups Row
Mitchells Mile
Flag Avenue (picture all the Premiership Flags waving in the wind along this avenue).
Crawford's Corner
Brad Hill Court
Buddy's Junction
Premiership Parade
Chris Mews
Dermott's Goal Square
Russell Green

The possibilities. Build it already!

Kanga Cul-de-sac
C. Road
Crawfs Corridor
Ayres Alley

And my personal favourite,

Hard Way.

As I read the last sentence it was in my mind that you were saying it was a great honour for Kennedy that your father invited him to your house. And I suspect it was.

Actually, my God father, and don't laugh, whose name was Tom Dooley was on the Hawthorn committee at the time, and would bring players to our home in Swinburne Avenue. John visited many times, as did Simmo and John O'Mahoney, all fine gentlemen.

So is it because he was assassinated at such a young age, that we are naming it after a US president?

Seriously, it's about time there was some legacy for this great man. Crimmins has something, Tuck has something. Mitchell and Lewis even had a draftee named after them. Great to see.

So is it because he was assassinated at such a young age, that we are naming it after a US president?

Seriously, it's about time there was some legacy for this great man. Crimmins has something, Tuck has something. Mitchell and Lewis even had a draftee named after them. Great to see.

Knowing what the great man was like, I wouldn't be surprised if he refused every honour up to now.

Nothing individual for John Kennedy, it's all for the team.

12ft tall bronze statue not even register?

12ft tall bronze statue not even register?
Um... It's not a name... it's a statue, I mean a legacy as in something named after him. That statue doesn't mean much except to those people living in Victoria, it is never mentioned and I didn't even know it existed until two years ago when we visited Melbourne in January and I took my kids out there to see where Hawthorn trained. And I'd been to every single Hawthorn game at Waverley. Except those prior to 1976 when we were living in Tonga. So yeah it doesn't even register.

Um... It's not a name... it's a statue, I mean a legacy as in something named after him. That statue doesn't mean much except to those people living in Victoria, it is never mentioned and I didn't even know it existed until two years ago when we visited Melbourne in January and I took my kids out there to see where Hawthorn trained. And I'd been to every single Hawthorn game at Waverley. Except those prior to 1976 when we were living in Tonga. So yeah it doesn't even register.
It's there every day where the players train, they talk past it before and after training.

Might not register for you

John+Kennedy+Senior+Hawthorn+Hawks+Training+zEwDvht4M_vl.jpg
Registers for me though

It's there every day where the players train, they talk past it before and after training.

Might not register for you

View attachment 470881
Registers for me though
I think unless I am mistaken that it was me he was asking if it registered for.

And I think I answered him. Naming the centre after Kennedy is a far greater honour. There is a statue of Shane Warne.

I think unless I am mistaken that it was me he was asking if it registered for.

And I think I answered him. Naming the centre after Kennedy is a far greater honour. There is a statue of Shane Warne.
I'm glad they are naming it after Kennedy. I also value the statue at Waverley, as do many others, no need to keep brushing it off like it's irrelevant.

Thank you Ned. I have written a book about sweatshops, using a lot of facts I learned during my working life, and my early visits to Thailand back in the eighties. Half way through a follow-up and about 30% into a movie script when my wife became very ill, so haven't done any writing for some time. I have also written a small booklet about my battle with alcohol.

So many memories of my early Hawthorn days are triggered by what others write on various threads here, as in this case.

I will try and find time to write something that might be interesting for Big Footy fans. But will need a little time.

Do. Thaihawk.
Please Do find the time.

Your early Hawthorn memories are a lot more than just interesting. They contain things that we just cannot let be forgotten.

That’s true - the naming is the true legacy. And Melbournians sure know when to name something fittingly:

1806AF74-6E3A-4C6D-B1D8-7962D8E3D218.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it, a lot.

There will be a Clarkson something soon enough.
How about the Alastair Clarkson Coach of the Year award?

That way the irony is never lost.

I'm glad they are naming it after Kennedy. I also value the statue at Waverley, as do many others, no need to keep brushing it off like it's irrelevant.
I'm not brushing it off, I just had never seen nor heard of it before I saw it myself 2 years ago, and it has never been mentioned since, so why would it register when I said I'm glad he's getting a legacy. No the stature never registered. Funnily enough it seems to be of him giving an address at a losing game.
I'm saying it's not much of a legacy if no one ever mentions its existence. Naming a centre after him is far greater in my opinion because every time the news crosses there they'll say we cross live to the Kennedy community centre. Whereas now they cross live to Waverley park. They don't cross like to the Kennedy statue at Waverley park. (They probably do show it on the news sometimes, but we don't get that kind of news here, we get news about Jonathan Thurston's shoulder, and I think, well thanks for that.

A dedicated "Clarko's Silverware Display," Hall.
The clarko cup could go to the team that loses to Hawthorn in the Grand final, because if it weren't for clarko...

For some of us who don’t know a Federal politician from an inanimate carbon rod, who is he and what’s the connection?

If he’s really one of us, I may need to change my vote!
when i visited Canberra and did a tour of parliament we walked around the inner gardens , could npt take photos in some area's specially into their rooms etc but there were a few hawk gf weg posters in windows from some of our gfs dont know whos rooms there were but there are some hawks in there

I'm not brushing it off, I just had never seen nor heard of it before I saw it myself 2 years ago, and it has never been mentioned since, so why would it register when I said I'm glad he's getting a legacy. No the stature never registered. Funnily enough it seems to be of him giving an address at a losing game.
I'm saying it's not much of a legacy if no one ever mentions its existence. Naming a centre after him is far greater in my opinion because every time the news crosses there they'll say we cross live to the Kennedy community centre. Whereas now they cross live to Waverley park. They don't cross like to the Kennedy statue at Waverley park. (They probably do show it on the news sometimes, but we don't get that kind of news here, we get news about Jonathan Thurston's shoulder, and I think, well thanks for that.
Personally I'd place more weight on the statue.
Anything named can also be renamed for the right price.
We Train at Waverly Park (Ricoh Centre$$$)
Cats play at Kardinia Park (Simmonds Stadium$$$)
Collingwood train at The Glasshouse (Holden Center$$$)
Docklands Stadium (Etihad Stadium$$$)
Princess Park (Optus Oval$$$)
Adelaide Oval (Aami Stadium$$$)

Watch the first 2.5 minutes of this mate...

What about all the statues outside the MCG do they register ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back