Toast Welcome Blake "Sherrif" Acres

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke really well in the presser. Think he is bang on that he only needs to focus on becoming a consistent footballer - ignore the noise about ceilings etc. Fairly clear he was frustrated being moved around all over the shop at the Saints. Lots of new garlic connections at Freo. Has all the attributes just needs to apply them every week - who better to learn that off than Fyfe?

A touch concerning that Jlo already has him pegged as a winger when Saints fans seem to unanimously agree he's most suited for an inside role but I guess we've got to give him a chance. With Hill and Ed both leaving it was important to bring in another bloke in that 24-27yo sweet spot to mitigate the experience loss

what would Saints fans know ?

Get him to shadow Mundy for the preseason. Has all the attributes to take his position when he retires and I hope JLO plays him 80%/90% in the midfield to get some consistency.

Love his professionalism and attitude too. Says he’s coming back early to get to know the 1-4 year players and start in the right foot.

Hopefully a new environment and being back home has him playing his best footy

Get him to shadow Mundy for the preseason. Has all the attributes to take his position when he retires and I hope JLO plays him 80%/90% in the midfield to get some consistency.

Love his professionalism and attitude too. Says he’s coming back early to get to know the 1-4 year players and start in the right foot.

Hopefully a new environment and being back home has him playing his best footy
He was doing a gym session when his agent rang him , So already had put his head down for next season , Like the way he talks , I know he is not an A grader but he can play and happy with the result,

Acres spoke about playing multiple roles and he didn't enjoy.

When will coaches understand that players need defined roles with defined KPI's motivates players.

Much like the professional workplace you mean? Nah......... why would football follow the way of the rest of the world in its successes.

I’d make him the face of my membership card if o could, thought his interview was good considering the position he’s been put in. Going to back this kid, and with some time in a familiar position, I think he will come good

Welcome aboard Blake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a big unit.

He has been so under-utilised at SK & at the admission of the Saints board not coached well. If Jlo is a as good as I think he’ll be, this bloke will excel.

Welcome Blake.

View attachment 766383

Return of the Big Bodied Mid™? for Freo?

It sounds like he has the best chance to excel if we give him a well defined role. Maybe right in the guts rotating to the wing. I'd be disappointed if he didn't put his name in front of the likes of Banfield, Bewley etc.

Return of the Big Bodied Mid™? for Freo?

It sounds like he has the best chance to excel if we give him a well defined role. Maybe right in the guts rotating to the wing. I'd be disappointed if he didn't put his name in front of the likes of Banfield, Bewley etc.
I think it gives us the opportunity to be less predictable through the middle of the ground as our wingers have been a constant over the last couple of years which gave clubs easy intel into what they were coming up against.

Langdon going really doesn’t bother me & of course I’d love to still have Hill, but I don’t think it’s going to be as big a set back as some are saying.

Even Gaff goes through the guts now & rotates with Sheed, Shuey, Masten, Cripps & others off the wings.

You only need to watch Acres highlight package & he was doing stuff in his first year that Bewley & Banfield haven’t done yet.

Watching Acres interview, clear that he had no idea what his role was at the saints.
Hopefully JLo gives him that clear role and he takes his game to a new level
I agree, but pretty rarely do players have a single position now, and if you are his size and can run, take a grab and decent disposal, then you will always be used in a variety of roles.

An ok player that could develop into a C grader or -B at best.

There’s going to be some disappointed posters based on some of the comments here.

Wonder what his 2km time trial is like?What’s his 5,10,20 sprint split? He’s got a bit of the Mundy’s about him, doesn’t seem to have high end pace, but’s got some size, difficult to bring down.

I was all over him in his draft year, size, good hands, good vision. surprising agility for a big guy (ala Mundy) and seemed to be on of those guys that bent the time/space continuum somewhat. I'm really excited to see what he can do.

putting up pretty similiar numbers to Mundy in his first couple of years.

Mundy became the beast he is in about 2010 which was after debuting in 2005.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back